Remember the FEEL of the first time you got into mma?

Is that George Michael in your Avatar?

'Cause it looks like George Michael.

You should replace it with a picture of Chuck Lidell.

Just sayin' is all.

It was spring break of 1996. I was in a video store with my mom and uncle called Wallace Video. I was a huge WWF fan, and also loved martial arts movies; especially Bloodsport. I was browsing through the "Special Interests" section back near the sports tapes (where they had all the WWF, hunting, etc tapes) and on the top row of "New Releases" was UFC 6, and UFC 4. I remember picking up a UFC 6 and reading the back and looking at the pictures. My mind couldnt believe it. Was this like a real Kumite? Where has this been happening. So I brought it to my mom and told her I found my rental. She glanced at it and said, "This is looks pretty rough." That's when my uncle stepped in and said "Oh it's fine, I'll watch it with him. If it's bad I'll turn it off." And that was it. We watched it later that night and I was captivated.....seeing Tank Abbott, the knockouts, just the organization and everything. It was a euphoria. I got UFC 4 like the next day. Then, to my orgasmic pleasure, the store ordered 1-3. Ate em all up. Then a year or two later, I remember more just spilling in like the Ultimate Ultimate, etc. Been a fan every since. I remember hearing about when Randy Couture won the title off Smith here in Oregon from my middle school wrestling coach.

UFC 100. As a pro-wrestling watcher, I came for Brock and left with an appreciation for Georges St-Pierre, Dan Henderson, Jon Jones and Dong Hyun Kim.

Back