Recent fights/results/news from Japan II

Marat Grigorian was asked to return the belt late last year. K-1 Japan claims that after winning the belt in 2015, he was offered a fight in every event they held in 2016, but Marat prioritized other events.

Granted, in his defense he accepted a match vs. Sanny Dahlbeck back in Nov 2015, only for the fight to be cancelled because of Sanny's illness. He also had a really busy 2016 and I can't really blame him not flying out to Japan for what I assume is not top-tier money.

I'm afraid Yuya Yamamoto suffered a career ending injury getting knocked out by Kotetsu in 2016 and has since retired. Very tragic. Will dig up his retirement statement if you're interested.
damn man,i lost this fight,i would really want to see info about it if you find it

i used to like him a lot in his old days,Yuya is the kind of guy that no one can dislike on this sport,inside and outside the ring

Yuya was really good at being able to take continuous punishment to his face. Not going to have longevity going that route.

damn man,i lost this fight,i would really want to see info about it if you find it

i used to like him a lot in his old days,Yuya is the kind of guy that no one can dislike on this sport,inside and outside the ring

Found the press release from Krush back in 2016.

Just a bit of context, this is from Feb. K-1 Japan got rebooted back in November 2014 and there Yuya lost, but put on a competitive fight against Kerrith Bella. He was then offered a fight on Krush vs. Kotetsu in early 2015 and the implication was that he needed to win that fight to earn a ticket to the 70kg tournament that Marat later won. Unfortunately, Yuya suffered a KO loss and he went on hiatus for a year before putting out this presser.

From Krush
[On February 10th (Wed) a press conference was held in GEN Sports Palace in Okubo Tokyo and the retirement of Yamamoto Yuya was announced. At Krush 65 on April 10th in the Korakuen Hall, a retirement ceremony will be held in honor of his achievements.

Yamamoto made his pro debut in September of 2001 at the age of just 17 in the All Japan Kickboxing Federation. After that, he achieved much including becoming the 23rd AJKF welterweight champion and coming in 2nd in the K-1 MAX 2009/2011 Japan tournaments. He also contributed to the middleweight division by entering the 2009 K-1 MAX world tournament and becoming #3 in the world. However, he is now facing a doctor stop after a neck injury and has decided to put an end to his 14 and a half year active career.

In this retirement address Yamamoto stated with a somewhat cool expression that "The doctor told me that 'You can't fight anymore, if you do you'll die.' Now I don't want to sound like I'm ignoring my family, but if I could I would have wanted to continue even if I did. Heck, it would have been a pleasure to have died on the ring. But if I couldn't die and was paralyzed in a hospital somewhere, there would be lots of people inconvenienced starting with my family... At the end I decided retirement for myself. I have no regrets".

When he was dropped in his fight against Kotetsu on Krush.51 last February 6th, Yamamoto said he "felt that it was different from usual". Afterwards, a inspection found that his neck had suffered injury and that the damage was reaching down to his spinal cord. Yamamoto--who had been feeling premonitions about neck injury before this--stated "The doctor told me that after transferring to welterweight, I was putting strain on my neck from fighting opponents taller than me. I can't dispute that was the case"

After being stopped by the doctor after last February, Yamamoto decided to get surgery, saying that "[he felt] emotional instability to the point of clinical depression and decided that the problem needs to be fixed." He says "The symptoms of my neck injury were the scariest thing I've experience in my 31 year long life. I do not want anyone to suffer the same fate in the future, so I recommend to getting regular inspections to all fellow fighters."

Looking back on his career, Yamamoto named as Fujimaki Takahito and Hamazaki Ikki as his most memorable opponents.

"I fought both of these guys twice and lost to them twice. In the rematch, I swore to myself 'I don't care if its a boring fight, but I'm definitely going to win!' then I still lost so I think I'll hold it against them forever (laughter). That said, I remember all my fights. Like how I fought Horikawa Mitsumasa and Kin Toukoku in the AJKF welterweight championship tournament. Its odd, but I actually put on a pretty aesthetically pleasing and technical fight against those two (laughter). People who've only seen my recent fights might be surprised by how I fought back then. But I gave it my all in every fight, so I have no regrets. I have truly had a happy career"

"If I was in the condition to put on a retirement fight, I would have liked to fight Marat Grigorian". After showing that he still had pride as a fighter, Yamamoto said that he would like to become an instructor in his future. "I shouldn't say this myself, but I actually think I have it in me to become a good teacher. So I'll give it my all in that field going forward."

At the end of the presser, Yamamoto gave his final message to his fans.

"I started in 17 and could continue fighting until 31 because of all the fans who cheered me on. I am truly grateful. I was just fighting because I liked to do so, but I am fortunate that people rallied around me to cheer me on. From now on, I would like to think long and hard about how I can repay everyone. I would like to become a virtuous person who can repay my debts, so I look forward to continuing to work with you going forward. As an active fighter, this is it and thank you for everything."

Incidentally, it seems K-1/Krush is gave him a steady job by making him one of the color commentators for Krush. Good on them.

Found the press release from Krush back in 2016.

Just a bit of context, this is from Feb. K-1 Japan got rebooted back in November 2014 and there Yuya lost, but put on a competitive fight against Kerrith Bella. He was then offered a fight on Krush vs. Kotetsu in early 2015 and the implication was that he needed to win that fight to earn a ticket to the 70kg tournament that Marat later won. Unfortunately, Yuya suffered a KO loss and he went on hiatus for a year before putting out this presser.

From Krush

Incidentally, it seems K-1/Krush is gave him a steady job by making him one of the color commentators for Krush. Good on them.

damn,shocking story

sometimes this kinds of injuries and situations happens on the sport,look to be an horrible thing on have to stop your career due health issues

thank you for this share man,i really liked Yuya in the past so i wish all the best for him in the future,i used to like him for what he used to made in the ring and for his charisma,reading his statements just make me to respect the guy even more,he is really a man of virtue

@Karaev fan you know something about that kid?

That's his youtube channel, saw him sparring with Rena as well and on some TV show.

@Karaev fan you know something about that kid?

That's his youtube channel, saw him sparring with Rena as well and on some TV show.

Looked into it. His name is Makino Soushi. Basically he was champion in the same junior amateur KB leagues where Nasukawa rose up from (he was the 45kg standout whereas Nasukawa was the 55kg one, so seems like they held cross weight class exhibitions like that one).

He's currently 18 and just graduated high school (the vid you linked from is a while back). It seems like he transferred to amateur boxing 2 years ago because there was no adequate weight class for his size. Apparently he was the only kid in his school's boxing club, but made it up to the Interhigh championships. Good on him.

Knockout Vol 2 spoiler

Jaowehar rallied from behind to beat Kenta by cut
Rotlek got cut by a headbut but took the fight to the clinch and outelbowed/kneed and beat Umeno by majority decision

Last edited by a moderator:
Knockout Vol 2 spoiler

Jaowehar rallied from behind to beat Kenta by cut
Rotlek got cut by a headbut but took the fight to the clinch and outelbowed/kneed and beat Umeno by majority decision
Interesting, the only knockout fight I've seen they didn't seem to allow clinching. Are all the fights supposed to be contested under the same rules?

Is knockout what you call "japanese kickboxing" (not K-1 style) which includes elbows, or just muay thai?

Last edited:
Knockout is Japanse kickboxing.
Japanese kickboxing is basically muay thai without wai kru and thai scoring system/gambling.
In Japanese kickboxing organisation, you basically see fighters divided into two types
1. The types that wear mongkol and receive blessing from their trainers like a Thai (and would regularly
fight in muay thai events). These consider themselves a muay thai fighter like Genji Umeno.
2. The types that do not follow muay thai customs but fight in full Thai rule fight. These consider themselves a kickboxer like Satoshi Kobayashi and also I think Riki Onodera, the promoter of this event.
There are basically two sides to the history of Japanese kickboxing, the Thai would say that Japanese kickboxing is a muay thai clone while the Japanese would say it is their own creation. The rivalry between the two styles is mostly domestic because kickboxing outside Japan has all followed K-1 rule.

Knockout doesn't really allow that much clinching but Umeno just could not stop Rotlek from engaging
in close-ranged fight with him after the ref broke the clinch off, so he kept getting kneed/elbowed.

Krush tonight on Abema in 4 hours or so

(55kg fight) Rasuta vs Takaaki
(63kg fight) Taito vs Aotsu Junpei
(60kg championship tournament SF1) Gosyu Masanobu vs Anpo Riku
(60kg championship tournament SF2) Leona Pettas vs Asahisa Taio
(58kg fight) Elias Mahmoudi vs Saikyo Haruma
(65kg fight) Soda Yasuomi vs Matsushita Daiki
(67kg fight) Watabe Daiki vs Yamagiwa Kazuki
(50kg fight) Mellony Geugjes vs Momi
(65kg championship tournament final) Komiya Yukihiro vs Nakazawa Jun

Solid, if uninspiring card. Elias vs. Saikyo should be a barnburner. I'll be tuning in mostly to see the continuation of the 60kg tournament. Predict Anpo Riku beats Gosyu and Leona beats Asahisa.

Incidentally, Anpo Riku (who's the brother of Rukiya) had one of the silliest/most epic matches of the year vs Yamamoto Masahiro

Issei Wor. Wanchai also fought on that Knockout event and won.

Last edited:
What is the deal with Exindecon gym. It seems to be Japanese, but didnt Newlukrak also take it as his fight name for a while. Do they have a sister gym in thailand.

Last edited:
Knockout is Japanse kickboxing.
Japanese kickboxing is basically muay thai without wai kru and thai scoring system/gambling.
In Japanese kickboxing organisation, you basically see fighters divided into two types
1. The types that wear mongkol and receive blessing from their trainers like a Thai (and would regularly
fight in muay thai events). These consider themselves a muay thai fighter like Genji Umeno.
2. The types that do not follow muay thai customs but fight in full Thai rule fight. These consider themselves a kickboxer like Satoshi Kobayashi and also I think Riki Onodera, the promoter of this event.
There are basically two sides to the history of Japanese kickboxing, the Thai would say that Japanese kickboxing is a muay thai clone while the Japanese would say it is their own creation. The rivalry between the two styles is mostly domestic because kickboxing outside Japan has all followed K-1 rule.

Knockout doesn't really allow that much clinching but Umeno just could not stop Rotlek from engaging
in close-ranged fight with him after the ref broke the clinch off, so he kept getting kneed/elbowed.

thank you, that's very insightful. I kept seeing KNOCKOUT referred as full thai rules but from what I've seen there's not much clinching and the pace of the fights are completely different. I also could not tell whether what I thought was elbow strikes were elbows indeed. now looking forward to seeing Umeno vs. Rotlek - with Rotlek's style there will probably be some cut clear elbows to see.

thank you, that's very insightful. I kept seeing KNOCKOUT referred as full thai rules but from what I've seen there's not much clinching and the pace of the fights are completely different. I also could not tell whether what I thought was elbow strikes were elbows indeed. now looking forward to seeing Umeno vs. Rotlek - with Rotlek's style there will probably be some cut clear elbows to see.
It's always like that with Kickboxing in Japan like when AJKF was still around the Japanese fighters have a different style and pace.

FYI for @Shadess in case you haven't come across this. Krush 77 on July 16th is gonna be a China vs Japan event. Looks like they're partnering with GoH. 6 fights. Though matchup hasn't been finalized yet, they announced a roster of confirmed fighters

China
- Qiu Jiang Liang
- Tie Yinghua
- Deng Zeqi
- Yun Qi

Japan
- Urabe Hirotaka
- HIROYA
- Komiyama Kosuke
- Uehara Makoto

Japan needs to step up their roster if they wanna win this with QJL and Zeqi in the mix. Time to go grab Noiri.

Some additions to the K-1 Japan June 18th card

(Superfight 60kg) Taiga vs Koji
(Superfight 57.5kg) Ozawa Kaito vs Saikyo Haruma
(Reserve fight 70kg) Yamazaki Yoichi vs. Makino Tomoaki

(Prelim 70kg) Uchiyama Masato vs. Jinbo Katsuya
(Prelim 60kg) Takeuchi Yuki vs. Tabata Ryo

I have a feeling Saikyo Haruma is going to upset Ozawa and make him look silly. He's riding some great momentum after his win over Elias and his 30 second KO.

Taiga should annihilate Koji. Looking forward more to the pre-fight trash talk than the actual fight for this one.

Back