Question regarding Dragon Ball Z and Disney

Agree.

You also have to have a director and its actors who literally know the story and are fans of the show themselves.

It would have to come across as a fantasy genre, like lord of the rings + avatar + man of steel fight scenes
yea the director has to be a fan of the anime and to a lesser extent the manga.

would take some skill to cram the entire Saiyin Saga into 2.5 hours but it should be capable. Frieza saga would prob be the most difficult to fit.

Agree.

You also have to have a director and its actors who literally know the story and are fans of the show themselves.

It would have to come across as a fantasy genre, like lord of the rings + avatar + man of steel fight scenes
I think it was a big problem with the first film that apparently the writers were just treating it as a job and weren't fans of the manga/show. It needs that feel like Deadpool where you can tell the people involved care and love the source material.

yea the director has to be a fan of the anime and to a lesser extent the manga.

would take some skill to cram the entire Saiyin Saga into 2.5 hours but it should be capable. Frieza saga would prob be the most difficult to fit.
In my opinion the Saiyan Saga could be fit in with no problem as long as you do Dragon Ball first. I don't think you could start it with Raditz and not know the background of Goku then expect the audience to care.

I think it was a big problem with the first film that apparently the writers were just treating it as a job and weren't fans of the manga/show. It needs that feel like Deadpool where you can tell the people involved care and love the source material.

They couldnt even get something as simple as the kamehameha right

They couldnt even get something as simple as the kamehameha right
Wait, what did they fuck up with the kamehameha? It's been so long since I've seen that I think my brain purposely tried to kill off the memories.

In my opinion the Saiyan Saga could be fit in with no problem as long as you do Dragon Ball first. I don't think you could start it with Raditz and not know the background of Goku then expect the audience to care.
i have to disagree

i started with DBZ before DB and didn't have a problem following the story. I was hooked regardless.

you could do a short 5 minute flashback of Planet Vegeta, Saiyins and Goku hitting his head after landing on Earth.

the core of the movie would obviously be vegeta vs Goku and then Vegeta vs the Z fighters.

i have to disagree

i started with DBZ before DB and didn't have a problem following the story. I was hooked regardless.

you could do a short 5 minute flashback of Planet Vegeta, Saiyins and Goku hitting his head after landing on Earth.

the core of the movie would obviously be vegeta vs Goku and then Vegeta vs the Z fighters.
I did too but I also don't think you can really explain that, then go on to explaining who the hell Piccolo is. I think the wider cinema audience wouldn't accept it and it work much better if there was already something to go off.

I did too but I also don't think you can really explain that, then go on to explaining who the hell Piccolo is. I think the wider cinema audience wouldn't accept it and it work much better if there was already something to go off.

I'm thinking the Future Trunks story would fit pretty nice into a movie

Have it just Trunks and Gohan dont gotta worry about having to introduce a shit ton of characters

Could just be a cool standalone. Put a different ending on it to make it hollywood.

i got to believe majority of the people going to watch the movie know the history. I also don't think everything needs to be explained right away. people will see Piccolo and assume him and Goku are enemies working on a common goal to defeat Raditz. Piccolo trains Gohan and we can revisit flashbacks of Kami. Don't really need to know about his demon dad and egg stuff right away imo.

Have it just Trunks and Gohan dont gotta worry about having to introduce a shit ton of characters

Could just be a cool standalone. Put a different ending on it to make it hollywood.
If I was gonna plan it out I'd probably like to have:

Dragon Ball TV series
Saiyan Saga movie
Namek Saga + Ginyu Saga movie
Frieza saga movie
History of Trunks movie
Androids Saga movie
All of Cell as its own movie
Buu would have to be extremely trimmed down or be 2 long movies imo.

What do you think? Would you have something different?

i got to believe majority of the people going to watch the movie know the history. I also don't think everything needs to be explained right away. people will see Piccolo and assume him and Goku are enemies working on a common goal to defeat Raditz. Piccolo trains Gohan and we can revisit flashbacks of Kami. Don't really need to know about his demon dad and egg stuff right away imo.
I guess so, but what about the backstory of the other Z fighters? Seems way to much to fit into one movie competently.

Original dragon ball was far and away better than anything since. Ever since Z the characters have become so 1 dimensional that its almost unwatchable.

There is a fan-made adaptation of the History of a trunks special.

The acting and the special effects are wonky as should be expected of a fan-made movie. However the guy playing future Gohan nails the look

Dragonball could be HUGE if done right. Give it the marval treatment with stand alone movies for characters and you bring them together into an 'avengers' movie. I'd go watch it.

and by dragonball i mean dragonball z (the best dragonball suckas)

Original dragon ball was far and away better than anything since. Ever since Z the characters have become so 1 dimensional that its almost unwatchable.
Do you think it would be better as a tv series or a movie?

I do kinda agree about 1 dimensional characters. In the whole of DBZ only two characters felt like they had any major changes and they were Vegeta and Gohan.

If there was one major thing I'd avoid adapting it would be power levels. They became so irrelevant as soon as you got past Frieza they felt like they shouldn't have even bothered mentioning them.

I guess so, but what about the backstory of the other Z fighters? Seems way to much to fit into one movie competently.
yea it's too much info for one film

I was thinking of the original DB as a Hobbit to the LoTR but it's more than that

Back