Question regarding Dragon Ball Z and Disney

GoldenAzazel

GM of PWD. 2020, 2022 PWD Poster of the Year
Platinum Member
Reaction score
As we all know recently Disney purchased a large portion of 20th Century Fox's assets, but what I haven't seen anybody talk about is the fact that Fox made the disgustingly awful movie Dragon Ball Evolution and distributed the films Battle of Gods and Resurrection F.

Now that Disney made this deal, does this mean Disney owns the rights to a Dragon Ball movie? Is it a good thing if they do own it? What's your opinion?

DRAGONBALL_EVOLUTION.jpg

I wasn't sure whether to put this in the Disney deal thread or the Dragon Ball thread, so I'm gonna make it separate.

they purchased the rights to dragon ball Y and Hagon Hall Zee but not dragon ball Z

they purchased the rights to dragon ball Y and Hagon Hall Zee but not dragon ball Z
Those are probably better adaptions than Dragon Ball Evolution to be fair.

was it not good? never saw it?
Well let's put it this way. The director has never directed a film since and came out and apologised to the fans for how bad it was.

was it not good? never saw it?
It ruined the chances of their ever being a legit dragonball movie.

If you are a fan don’t waste your time. If you have no idea about the dB story and are 12 years old go for it.

Would love a real gritty dark dbz movie but it’s never happening.

It ruined the chances of their ever being a legit dragonball movie.

If you are a fan don’t waste your time. If you have no idea about the dB story and are 12 years old go for it.

Would love a real gritty dark dbz movie but it’s never happening.
I think the best chances of a good DB movie would be with it at Disney, and then it could grow into gritty-ness if they carry on into DBZ. DB is pretty kid friendly (minus the creepy Roshi stuff and Goku lying on Bulma's genitalia and asking where her "balls" are) and I think it would suit a TV show or a film.

We can all pray that they release the directors cut of evolution

If Disney wants to make a Dragon Ball movie I wouldn't be against it
Anything is better than Evolution, but I just hope they wouldn't play it too safe and not commit to it fully.

Dragon Ball live action would be pretty rough. An animation or 3D film would work. But live action would just look bad unless they invested like an Avatar level budget.

Dragon Ball live action would be pretty rough. An animation or 3D film would work. But live action would just look bad unless they invested like an Avatar level budget.
Dragon Ball would be way easier to do than Dragon Ball Z. I think Dragon Ball could even be done as a TV show if they toned things down a little bit.

Man of Steel had some DBZ esque action scenes. They could do a live action movie with the right director.

fox owned DB's distribution rights not production.. toei owns that.

Man of Steel had some DBZ esque action scenes. They could do a live action movie with the right director.

Agree.

You also have to have a director and its actors who literally know the story and are fans of the show themselves.

It would have to come across as a fantasy genre, like lord of the rings + avatar + man of steel fight scenes

Back