Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan?

?

• Total voters
I disagree. $10 says you would much rather rewatch a tarinoto film than Nolan film.

lol you would lose $10.

I mean, I'll watch a quentin film. They're pretty good. But there are nowhere near Nolan's level. And I'd rewatch any of Nolan's films before any of tarantino's films.

This is exactly how I feel. Tarantino tries too hard to be edgy, and his work is super derivative. "IT'S AN HOMAGE" lmao half the time it's blatant plagiarism. Tarantino is the Led Zeppelin of film.

Nolan (bullshit Batman films aside, fight me) has been a visionary in the industry.

Exactly. The Prestige is one of the best films I've ever seen in my life

False.

They stole so much material. It's actually fucking wild how much of their material was blatantly stolen.

not stolen, adapted to Rock. Also most of the later stuff is completely original and if you listen to things like physical graffitti and don't think it's some of the best rock music you are out of your mind.

lol you would lose $10.

I mean, I'll watch a quentin film. They're pretty good. But there are nowhere near Nolan's level. And I'd rewatch any of Nolan's films before any of tarantino's films.

Exactly. The Prestige is one of the best films I've ever seen in my life

You just lost $30 because you just lied. Nolan movies are boring as fuck once you know what is going on.

5_trucs_pas_trop_gras____commander_au_mcdo_3311_north_640x322_transparent.gif

Rival crime family?
Jealous bitch hires a hitman.
And so on.

Not some left field ass ramming BDSM pitch.

Tarantino has made 3 of my favorite movies.

Inglorious Bastards, The Hateful Eight and Pulp Fiction.

The Kill Bills, Jackie Brown and Django are great too and Death Proof is fun little ride.

Nolan made Momento, which is a very interesting film. I liked it.

I've seen Insomnia, and while it's a good film, I wouldn't say it's among my favorites.

The Dark Knight and Inception were fantastic movies though, no doubt some of the very best of the last 10 years and Interstellar was amazing, but I still wouldn't consider it one of my favorites.

I havnt seen The Dark Knight Rises or Dunkirk yet, need to get on that.

Can you explain why you think Nolan gives higher highs? Because I said exactly the opposite lol.

To me one of the most impactful scenes of all time is the the scene in the German bar from Inglorious Bastards. It has everything that is great in movies and will always stick with me.

Inglorious has been on cable A LOT lately and I was lucky enough to catch it right at that scene. I always thought the two best scenes in the film were the opening one with Waltz systematically breaking down Denis Minochet and the basement bar scene with August Diehl looking to catch Fassbender in a lie.

Both scenes have phenomenal acting and a tremendous technical ability from Tarantino to ramp up tension over a long scene. They are excellent and as great as the overall film is, they stand out to me as the most stellar parts.

But yeah that basement scene is something else. It unfolds flawlessly.

Can you explain why you think Nolan gives higher highs? Because I said exactly the opposite lol.

To me one of the most impactful scenes of all time is the the scene in the German bar from Inglorious Bastards. It has everything that is great in movies and will always stick with me.

based on your posts in this thread, you won't agree with me but sure. it's more about the whole body of work as opposed to individual scenes for me. nolan's early work shows a lot of interest in narrative traps (hence his production logo being a maze) and i find that work eminently rewatchable for easter eggs (memento, prestige, doodlebug, inception -- i think you referred to this as dumb people having to figure out boring movies?) and when he had an opportunity to explore these traps across both time and space (interstellar), he completely shat the bed, took a huge step sideways, and really didn't add anything to his body of work. so these are my higher highs and lower lows, films that i either love or hate.

tarantino doesn't do that for me. his body of work isn't really polarizing for me. everything is 'pretty good' but not really worth a rewatch unless it happens to be on or if a friend tells me they haven't seen pulp fiction or reservoir dogs. the only thing he's done that i've really reacted to is basterds. that scene you alluded to in the basement bar is one of my favorites, and i still hate the movie.

again, all about personal preference. no analysis of film is ever objective

Tarantino has made 3 of my favorite movies.

Inglorious Bastards, The Hateful Eight and Pulp Fiction.

The Kill Bills, Jackie Brown and Django are great too and Death Proof is fun little ride.

Nolan made Momento, which is a very interesting film. I liked it.

I've seen Insomnia, and while it's a good film, I wouldn't say it's among my favorites.

The Dark Knight and Inception were fantastic movies though, no doubt some of the very best of the last 10 years and Interstellar was amazing, but I still wouldn't consider it one of my favorites.

I havnt seen The Dark Knight Rises or Dunkirk yet, need to get on that.

Have you seen The Prestige? Might be my favorite of his whole canon.

I love the Dark Knight and Inception as well though. The Dark Knight Rises is certainly a compelling film, with a very commanding performance from Hardy, but I can see how some of the gripes people have with it are salient. Still, one that I definitely enjoy.

Dunkirk is a weird one. Very respectful of the people it honors and the horrors of the scenario they were in, but it is basically purely an experiential movie. It throws you right into the action and tells the story of the Dunkirk evacuation from three perspectives- three different timeslines that it cuts back and forth between sometimes in rapid succession- all of which intersect but none of which really dominates the movie.

As such, there is virtually no character development at all. Actors like Tom Hardy, Kenneth Branagh, Cillian Murphy, Mark Rylance, Fionn Whitehead, and Harry Styles do good work but it's certainly not a character-driven film. Nolan's technical mastery is fully front and center there, but I can see how it's not the most engaging film.

based on your posts in this thread, you won't agree with me but sure. it's more about the whole body of work as opposed to individual scenes for me. nolan's early work shows a lot of interest in narrative traps (hence his production logo being a maze) and i find that work eminently rewatchable for easter eggs (memento, prestige, doodlebug, inception -- i think you referred to this as dumb people having to figure out boring movies?) and when he had an opportunity to explore these traps across both time and space (interstellar), he completely shat the bed, took a huge step sideways, and really didn't add anything to his body of work. so these are my higher highs and lower lows, films that i either love or hate.

tarantino doesn't do that for me. his body of work isn't really polarizing for me. everything is 'pretty good' but not really worth a rewatch unless it happens to be on or if a friend tells me they haven't seen pulp fiction or reservoir dogs. the only thing he's done that i've really reacted to is basterds. that scene you alluded to in the basement bar is one of my favorites, and i still hate the movie.

again, all about personal preference. no analysis of film is ever objective

Can you explain what you mean by traps? Sorry I was being dumb.

everybody needs to rewatch Nolan films to get everything. He puts layers to his shit. layers upon layers.
I would love to hear five Nolan scenes that really excited you. Doesn't have to be top five, but I would appreciate it.

Can you explain what you mean by traps? Sorry I was being dumb.

twists would have been a better term. on the first watch of prestige or inception, there's really nothing in there where you can really see the ending coming. by starting in a dream, he baits the viewer into accepting that planning the heist takes place in reality and then he hits you with that ending. in order to really have an opinion about the movie, you have to watch it again. i think thats fucking brilliant both creatively and business-wise. in dark knight rises it doesn't really work because its the end of the franchise and we don't care if bruce lives or is at that cafe living out alfred's fantasy. but outside the blockbuster, everything else he does concludes by adding something that fucks with the viewer's perception of what the entire narrative was and you're forced into repeat viewings. QT is a bit nicer to his audience. he only makes you watch gimp scenes.

I would love to hear five Nolan scenes that really excited you. Doesn't have to be top five, but I would appreciate it.

Sure man. Off the top of my head:

1. The last scene of The Prestige. It's brilliant. Pretty much the entire movie is a top scene for me. It's a slow burn but it's never dull and there are so many layers to that story it's insane. Great performances from every single actor in that movie, too.

2. The ninja training sequence in Batman Begins

3. The Tesla scene in The Prestige, with the light bulbs

4. The last scene in Memento

5. The Hallway fight in Inception

6. The opening scene in TDK

7. The scene in Memento where he is running and he doesn't know if he's chasing or being chased

I think it's appropriate that QT's slightly brain-damaged hyper-violence is strongly preferred by Sherdog. Nolan simply has better range as a director. He is capable of doing more things than Tarantino, and doing them with absolute control.

Both are excellent filmmakers; Tarantino's range is narrower, but he is better than anyone at creating a certain brand of tension. But at the end of the day, the stories that Nolan tells move me more than Tarantino's. This is a purely aesthetic judgment. Honestly, if I prefer Nolan, it is simply because Nolan's existential vision of the world speaks to me more deeply than Tarantino's visceral one. Tarantino lives in a world of blood and guts (in every sense); he is concerned with how people react in extreme situations, and how the everyday can shatter into violence. I find that world captivating, but ultimately less profound than what Nolan is doing in a film like the Prestige or Inception.

But hey, I love Terrence Malick's Tree of Life, so fuck me, right?

Cant stand QT. His twists are juat too much.

In kill bill the bride kills 4829 people at once. Sure...
In pulp fiction everything is great then theres a pointless mouth gag and a rape scene that doesnt really fit in the movie. K...

IB is too non real for something that was real.

His dialogue always comes off as a try hard lile he always has some underlying important point that typically goes nowhere.

Meh.
all those things you mentioned were awesome and great. You cant handle the pandemonium,is all.

This is exactly how I feel. Tarantino tries too hard to be edgy, and his work is super derivative. "IT'S AN HOMAGE" lmao half the time it's blatant plagiarism. Tarantino is the Led Zeppelin of film.

Nolan (bullshit Batman films aside, fight me) has been a visionary in the industry.

Like Led Zeppelin nicking a few blues lines and 1-2 songs though I think Tarantino being derivative is an overstated criticism. The reality for me is that he isn't just recycling genre cinema he's drawing on but adding quite significantly to it, his films are significantly smarter and often better filmed as well.

Back