Quentin Tarantino or Christopher Nolan?

?

• Total voters
Nolan is always solid, but Tarantino hits the highs a lot better and is WAY more rewatchable

Pulp Fiction is better than "great"
its one of the all time best movies ever.

A strong case for being viewed as the film of the decade I would say, actually that sounds like a good thread idea...

Tarantino by a comfortable margin.

Nolan is great, but his films aren't nearly as re-watchable, and his dark and brooding atmosphere can come off pretty dull and lifeless.

How about Tarratino versus the Coen Brothers?

Seems a more apt contest.

Quentin is a dialogue driven director. A superior story-teller, imo. Nolan has a more polished, manufactured end product. Doesn't necessarily mean better, but it depends on your taste.

How about Tarratino versus the Coen Brothers?

Seems a more apt contest.
The coen brothers are so fucking overrated. I can see why people love the dude, and why people like Fargo and no country, but the rest of their work is very forgettable.

I loved Barton Fink, though. Still don't think they are the geniuses that everyone hails them as.

Nolan Favs: Tarantino Favs:
Memento Resevoir Dogs
The Dark Knight Pulp Fiction
Insomnia Jackie Brown
Interstellar Django Unchained
Inception Inglorious Basterds

Two of my favorite directors but I gotta give Tarantino the edge. Other than Heath Ledger in the TDK, Tarantino has so many more iconic characters in his films. That's not even counting Kill Bill Vol 1 and 2

QT for me. Nolan you kind of know what you're getting. Inception blew my mind though. With QT, you know you're gonna get good dialogue and that's about all you know. You never know which direction the movie will go.

The coen brothers are so fucking overrated. I can see why people love the dude, and why people like Fargo and no country, but the rest of their work is very forgettable.

I loved Barton Fink, though. Still don't think they are the geniuses that everyone hails them as.

There have been a good few so so comedies but add in Millers Crossing, True Grit and Inside Lewyn Davis for great films.

Come on bro. Blood Simple, The Hudsucker Proxy, The Man Who Wasn't There, Miller's Crossing ... I've hated some of their shit (Like Burn After Reading) but their resume is unbelievable. If we put them up against Tarantino I wouldn't know what to do with myself

If we put them up against Tarantino I wouldn't know what to do with myself
Simple. Vote Tarantino!

I dunno man, I respect everyone's opinion but I just can't relate in this case. And I've really really tried, because the coens get sooooo much praise, so I thought there must be something I'm missing. So I go out of my way to watch their films looking for things to appreciate and sometimes I find a few. But contrast that with Tarantino where I can just sit back and relax while awesomeness is blasted into my eyes and ears, and it's just no comparison.

Simple. Vote Tarantino!

I dunno man, I respect everyone's opinion but I just can't relate in this case. And I've really really tried, because the coens get sooooo much praise, so I thought there must be something I'm missing. So I go out of my way to watch their films looking for things to appreciate and sometimes I find a few. But contrast that with Tarantino where I can just sit back and relax while awesomeness is blasted into my eyes and ears, and it's just no comparison.

Fair enough mate. At least we're on the same page re: Tarantino

Simple. Vote Tarantino!

I like Tarantino and all, but his films are all very stylised and "samey". You will know it's a QT film within seconds........you could argue that's a good thing, but it also shows he hasn't really matured as a film maker. Would like to see him out of his comfort zone.

As for the Coens:

Blood Simple
Raising Arizona
Hudsuker
Barton Fink
Miller's Crossing
Fargo
Lebowski
O Brother
The Man Who Wasn't There
No Country
True Grit
A Serious Man
Llewyn Davis

All 7.5/10+..........put's them in the ATG discussion, imo.

Hail Caesar, Intolerable Cruelty, Burn After Reading and Ladykillers being their weakest efforts......and only Ladykillers was really bad.

Nolon makes comic book fluff... good director, but nobody will care about his movies or him in not much time.

Tarantino is an all time great.

Tarantino for me, he is one of the best in this generation.

In the last 10-12 years, I'd go with Nolan. I liked Dunkirk more than anything Tarantino has made this century, and the batman movies and Inception were a lot of fun.

With Tarantino, his work in the 90s was so impactful that he's going to be more widely loved. Nolan will never create anything capable of fucking with the whole culture the way Pulp Fiction did. The only one of his movies I've really loved in a long time was Django, with Inglorious falling short whenever Waltz or Fassbender were off screen. I think Hateful 8 was worse than Interstellar.

Tarantino but I can’t see voting against Nolan with any other directors... at least not off the top of my head.

Back