Punch As Hard As You Can But The Bag Doesn't Move?

schermstorm said:
I can see myself getting cornered in an alleyway by a knife weilding mugger and me threatening....... "if you dont run off i'll hit you so hard you wont even move" hahaha this is hilarious and made my day thank you!

I think if you hit a heavy bag as hard as you can and all you see if a "fold" you better run off to the hospital because it's your BONES FOLDING! LOL

If you want to put it into that context let's say you're getting mugged and your hands are at your side, do you:

A) punch the guy hard so that he falls three feet from you on his back

B) punch the guy hard so that he lifts off the ground in place

Or think of it this way:

1. You hit the bag hard enough that it swings back wildly

2. I hit the bag with a bat hard enough that it creates a fold/dent in the bag but doesn't swing that much

Happnin' Mojo said:
If you want to put it into that context let's say you're getting mugged and your hands are at your side, do you:

Or think of it this way:

2. I hit the bag with a bat hard enough that it creates a fold/dent in the bag but doesn't swing that much

Typically the punch or kick that "pushes the bag" will not put the guy on his butt three feet from you on his back, it pushes him back and pisses him off. The one that lifts him off the ground is going to inflict sufficient damage to slow him down and probably have him on the ground moaning. I especially would not rely on the "push strike" if he is armed with a firearm or edged weapon. I might for a club (big maybe) if I just want to create room to position myself.

ssssmashing said:
It sounds like you have a good instructor.

What he is seeing is that the trainee is "pushing" the bag - if it were a body this would be a very superficial strike. What he is trying to teach is how to "leave the energy in the bag" rather than just pushing it. When you push it you are eliminating the posibility of combinations because you are destroying your distance.

A really good kick, for example, will not "push" the bag as much as it will "fold" the bag in two.

There are are a lot of drills and visullizations that can help this. Many say "punch through the target" or "punch through the bag" this is wrong. I want you to punch "inside the bag" imagine you are punching punching to make the front of the bag touch the backside of the bag without moving it. Once you "feel" this sensation imagine creating a "starburst" with your energy - I know this sounds crazy but you can actually visualize damaging your opponent's body.

I hate the internet for this reason - I should really be standing in front of you for you to understand this and feel what I am talking about. I can punch you 6 times and each one will feel different. All of them hurt but I can punch the exact same spot but make it hurt "differently".

Thats some good advice I will have to remember that.

ssssmashing said:
Typically the punch or kick that "pushes the bag" will not put the guy on his butt three feet from you on his back, it pushes him back and pisses him off. The one that lifts him off the ground is going to inflict sufficient damage to slow him down and probably have him on the ground moaning. I especially would not rely on the "push strike" if he is armed with a firearm or edged weapon. I might for a club (big maybe) if I just want to create room to position myself.

I agree. Lots of movement is not a good indicator of a solid punch....

I'd trust the sound before I'd trust the swing.

L.I.N.E said:
Please tell me thats not you in the avatar.
Its a man named Kid Yamamoto...perhaps youve heard of him in your infinite MMA wisdom

this is probably one of the best "punchers" in history so I assume his punching technique must be pretty good... and I see this bag moving a lot because of the punches and also have in mind that he is punching when the bag is moving forward to him, if the bag was still I image it would move even more.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A42BzG80XWk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A42BzG80XWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>

thetruth2709 said:
this is probably one of the best "punchers" in history so I assume his punching technique must be pretty good... and I see this bag moving a lot because of the punches and also have in mind that he is punching when the bag is moving forward to him, if the bag was still I image it would move even more.

<object width="425" height="350"><param name="movie" value="http://www.youtube.com/v/A42BzG80XWk"></param><param name="wmode" value="transparent"></param><embed src="http://www.youtube.com/v/A42BzG80XWk" type="application/x-shockwave-flash" wmode="transparent" width="425" height="350"></embed></object>
You notice how every once in a while he was giving the bag a little push with his jab hand, he also did it with his cross hand. He was doing that to get it swinging so he could hit it like it was a moving target, but when he actually did hit it with like his cross it didn't swing wildly the other way like some other posters said it should. When he would hit it with a four punch combo it only swayed some on the last punch, if he was pushing his punches that probably wouldn't happen. Hard to explain and can't think straight right now.

Happnin' Mojo said:

Or think of it this way:

Me when i hit someone and they've flown 3 feet on their back they're KTFO definately be my choice give me a little space to see how many of his friends are coming at me next ;)

If you can hit a heavy bag and JUST create a fold you are something special. I'm thinking in order to get a fold and NO movement you'd have to crease it and then rip through the bag so that it just falls off the chain and straight down in pieces. YOU ARE talented and i feel sorry for the person that tries to mug you and gets hit and falls into pieces right in front of you without moving EVEN three feet!

OK OK realistically....of course you want that deep sounding hit...the one that makes the bag POP and THEN move a little....but that is NOT what the original post was about people. It said to hit the bag as hard as you can with NO movement and that's why i was making jokes. IT IS JUST NOT possible. I mean maybe if you are not swinging through your target ok it wont move you hit hard and retract but boxing or any kind of fluid movement where you're going to hit and follow up with another punch THERE WILL be movement unless you're not hitting hard at all!

For the record im NO pro....but yes i have worked with some and been a MMA fan since '93 when i watched the first UFC and then got into pancrase!

schermstorm said:
Me when i hit someone and they've flown 3 feet on their back they're KTFO definately be my choice give me a little space to see how many of his friends are coming at me next ;)
This is not necessarily true. In the early '90's my main sparring partner was a pro boxer (Chris Traeger) who was 6'-8" & 280#. When he hit me with body (chest / ribs) shots they would literally knock me back several feet but didn't stop me by any means. However I di quickly learn to keep him on the end of my foot to avoid further unplanned flights.

philong said:
This is not necessarily true. In the early '90's my main sparring partner was a pro boxer (Chris Traeger) who was 6'-8" & 280#. When he hit me with body (chest / ribs) shots they would literally knock me back several feet but didn't stop me by any means. However I di quickly learn to keep him on the end of my foot to avoid further unplanned flights.

No no you either didnt read the whole thing or misunderstood. I TOTALLY agree that you can kick or hit something and do little or no damage. When they said "hit the mugger knocking im 3feet back ON HIS BACK" the "on the back" part is letting me know there was probably enough snap to whatever force that was to KTFO of your opponent.
I agree with you though.....you can be kicked and more or less pushed back (still doesnt feel GOOD) but be more than able to keep fighting!

Great tips from your trainer. There is no point of punching the bag like a crazy without any technique. You can just injure your joints and be outside the training for some time. It's better to first learn how to control your punches with a limited force and energy. Once you master this, you will be able to punch with more energy and impact.

Great tips from your trainer. There is no point of punching the bag like a crazy without any technique. You can just injure your joints and be outside the training for some time. It's better to first learn how to control your punches with a limited force and energy. Once you master this, you will be able to punch with more energy and impact.
10 year old necro, linking to some webpage and generally being nonsensical.

<LikeReally5>

There's this statement I overheard my instructor asking his trainee instructor.

"I want you to hit the bag as hard as you can, with impact. But the bag should not move. If you learn to do this, your students will love you. If you don't, they'll hate you."

Well needless to say the trainee has been busting his brains trying to figure it out. I have too.

Has anyone come across such a question? What's the answer if you did?

This advice was from a instructor training a new instructor; not someone training their student.

If u can punch the bag with speed but pull ur punches so they don't make the bag move, then you should be able to do this while sparring with ur students. Sparring like this allows for the student to learn while not taking too much damage from punches. Hence, your students are proly gonna like u as a coach.

However, if the experienced trainer can only spar hard and his students take a lot of damage during their sessions, then maybe the students won't like his/her instructor.

That's what I think it means.

He's being hyperbolic. Its obviously impossible to hit a heavy bag with any semblance of force and not move it, he's trying to get his trainee to snap his shots. That said, I can't help but wonder why the trainee instructor isn't familiar with the head coaches approach.

Back