Punch As Hard As You Can But The Bag Doesn't Move?

OK, THIS IS GETTING RETARDED!!!!!!

YES, ONE PUNCH SHOULD CAUSE THE BAG TO FOLD MORE THAN SWING, IF DONE PROPERLY!!!!

You fucking guys got ot stop with all the fucking theories behind punching man!!!

Most of your thought and time is wasted because your not actually punching,

The key to good punches is MOSTLY PUNCHING THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PUNCHES

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just work the bag over and over and over trying to punch like a good boxer.

Put a mirror beside your heavy bag where you can see your own form,

AND PUNCH AND PUNCH AND PUNCH ASND PUNCH FUCK THATS IT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

aries said:
Join another gym, this ones shit... Trust me!

Oh dear.
Something tells me I am getting flamed on Sherdog for defending my fellow countrymen for a reason.
These kind of posts make it all the more clear to me... maybe they did have a point afterall.

I think he meant to project your power through the bag and hit your oponent on the other side.
I know it can really be done because I saw Van Dam do it in Bloodsport with some bricks. :icon_chee

Doug Makenzie said:
OK, THIS IS GETTING RETARDED!!!!!!

YES, ONE PUNCH SHOULD CAUSE THE BAG TO FOLD MORE THAN SWING, IF DONE PROPERLY!!!!

You fucking guys got ot stop with all the fucking theories behind punching man!!!

Most of your thought and time is wasted because your not actually punching,

The key to good punches is MOSTLY PUNCHING THOUSANDS AND THOUSANDS OF PUNCHES

PERIOD!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Just work the bag over and over and over trying to punch like a good boxer.

Put a mirror beside your heavy bag where you can see your own form,

AND PUNCH AND PUNCH AND PUNCH ASND PUNCH FUCK THATS IT MAN!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Wow...the point of bag work should also be improving your footwork as well as your technique...you should WANT your bag to move to simulate an ACTUAL fight in which your opponent may want to move around the ring..just a thought

Tapsd, doesnt punching like a good boxer incorperate what a good boxer does????

IE foot work, head movement, distance, balance, mobility, defense??

stfu!

Doug Makenzie said:
Tapsd, doesnt punching like a good boxer incorperate what a good boxer does????

IE foot work, head movement, distance, balance, mobility, defense??

stfu!
Punching=punching

Practicing good technique= Footwork, head movement, balance, etc

I can tell you're one of those kids in the gym standing directly in front of the bag never moving and pounding away on the bag like an angry chimp with down syndrome

No im the guy that lights the bag up. Usually the hardest hitting - fastest puncher in the gym

Doug Makenzie said:
No im the guy that lights the bag up. Usually the hardest hitting - fastest puncher in the gym
Bag no hit back

TapSD said:
Punching=punching

Practicing good technique= Footwork, head movement, balance, etc

I can tell you're one of those kids in the gym standing directly in front of the bag never moving and pounding away on the bag like an angry chimp with down syndrome

Exactly.

The heavy bag is supposed to simulate the body of a real opponent right? So why not box it like you would in a real fight? Practice your footwork, head movement and everything that goes along with being a boxer, not just standing there unloading punch after punch without moving (unless you're doing a workout I suppose like ross' punchout drills).

FIGHTING TALK said:
Oh dear.
Something tells me I am getting flamed on Sherdog for defending my fellow countrymen for a reason.
These kind of posts make it all the more clear to me... maybe they did have a point afterall.

Are you serious?? Firstly: You really think the instructor is making sense when he says "I want you to hit the bag as hard as you can, with impact. But the bag should not move. If you learn to do this, your students will love you. If you don't, they'll hate you."?

Normally (and this could be the exception to the rule) instructors who talk shit, normally teach shit. IMHO.

Secondly I don't need defending from anyone, regardless of where I live. Not really sure what you're on about there mate :icon_neut But next time I get flamed for being from the UK I'll be sure to seek your help oh great one :rolleyes:

Ok maybe i dont know anything BUT....if i hit a heavy bag and it did NOT move...wow...well i would NOT tell ANYONE!!!!! There goes my standup threat hahaha

Hmmm....when I first started training on the bags a lot my instructor told me I was pushing my punches too much and that is why the bag was moving so much, as I learned to snap my punches more it didn't move as much. If you're throwing combos the bag will obviously move but shouldn't swing around like crazy.

I can see myself getting cornered in an alleyway by a knife weilding mugger and me threatening....... "if you dont run off i'll hit you so hard you wont even move" hahaha this is hilarious and made my day thank you!

I think if you hit a heavy bag as hard as you can and all you see if a "fold" you better run off to the hospital because it's your BONES FOLDING! LOL

ssssmashing said:
It sounds like you have a good instructor.

What he is seeing is that the trainee is "pushing" the bag - if it were a body this would be a very superficial strike. What he is trying to teach is how to "leave the energy in the bag" rather than just pushing it. When you push it you are eliminating the posibility of combinations because you are destroying your distance.

A really good kick, for example, will not "push" the bag as much as it will "fold" the bag in two.

There are are a lot of drills and visullizations that can help this. Many say "punch through the target" or "punch through the bag" this is wrong. I want you to punch "inside the bag" imagine you are punching punching to make the front of the bag touch the backside of the bag without moving it. Once you "feel" this sensation imagine creating a "starburst" with your energy - I know this sounds crazy but you can actually visualize damaging your opponent's body.

I hate the internet for this reason - I should really be standing in front of you for you to understand this and feel what I am talking about. I can punch you 6 times and each one will feel different. All of them hurt but I can punch the exact same spot but make it hurt "differently".

This guys' right.

schermstorm said:
I can see myself getting cornered in an alleyway by a knife weilding mugger and me threatening....... "if you dont run off i'll hit you so hard you wont even move" hahaha this is hilarious and made my day thank you!

I think if you hit a heavy bag as hard as you can and all you see if a "fold" you better run off to the hospital because it's your BONES FOLDING! LOL
Guess you haven't trained around too many hard punchers or kickers. I've seen some of the pro fighters at my gym land nasty punches or kicks on the bag that only left like a dent when they punched or folded the bag when they kicked.

dkickboxer said:
Guess you haven't trained around too many hard punchers or kickers. I've seen some of the pro fighters at my gym land nasty punches or kicks on the bag that only left like a dent when they punched or folded the bag when they kicked.

You're a idiot......idk why to go any further with this!

schermstorm said:
You're a idiot......idk why to go any further with this!
I'm an idiot because I've trained around a bunch of pro fighters and that is I've seen happens when they hit the bag solid?

Back