Punch As Hard As You Can But The Bag Doesn't Move?

Hmmm...

Maybe it's about not pushing your punches and adding a snap, or perhaps it's a metaphor.

OR

Maybe it's just impossible to do. INERTIA!! Energy cannot be lost, only transferred. You guys were talking about the bag folding- that's still movement. Just because it doesn't pendulum swing, doesn't mean it's not movement.

I personally think he's Buddhist and just talks in a conflicting metaphorical manner.

fullerene said:
IMO he's talking about a certain style of punch used in sparring or TMA drills. In this style you ideally throw hard techniques at your opponent but you don't try to hurt them at all. I've trained in this philosophy and the way it was explained to me was to punch the opponent's uniform and not their body. Not saying this is the best way to practice, but it's one school of thought.

Not true.
Have you ever seen a really good heavyweight boxer hit a heavy bag? It doesn't move much if at all laterally. When they hit really hard the bag moves vertically.

My coach said there was a difference between power and strength. Strong punches are like Thai kicks, they follow through and do damage to tissue, ribs etc. He said powerful punches were quicker, like a TKD kick.

His idea was that strong punches should be aimed at the body to do more damage/hurt, while powerful punches are more oriented to the head to cause the whip effect (twisting of the head/neck) which causes concussions.

Don't know if that helps this discussion

Proper punching shouldn't result in the bag swinging around like crazy. If it does, you are pushing your punches. There will be some movement, but it shouldn't be drastic. I've seen guys go apeshit on a bag in the gym and not only where they taking a chance of breaking their wrists, they were just pushing the bag.

skinny_dan said:
My coach said there was a difference between power and strength. Strong punches are like Thai kicks, they follow through and do damage to tissue, ribs etc. He said powerful punches were quicker, like a TKD kick.

His idea was that strong punches should be aimed at the body to do more damage/hurt, while powerful punches are more oriented to the head to cause the whip effect (twisting of the head/neck) which causes concussions.

Don't know if that helps this discussion
There is a difference between concussive power and brute power, and yes, I made both those terms up right now :icon_chee

You can hit a target with very high speed and penetration, trying to cause an abrupt displacement of a certain organ. Or you can hit a target with a lot of force.

Generally, the first one is good if you hit sensitive targets, like temple. You don't have to have mad force behind the strike, just lots of speed, precision and snap, and you can drop somebody. This is because the skull has to move really fast in order to have the brain hit the skull and short-circuit. You don't need a lot of force.

The other one is good for solid targets, like ribs or thighs. A rib can withstand a lot of stuff, but if you press it hard enough, it will move with respect to the rest of your body, and eventually break.

Ideally, you would like strikes to have both force and speed. But very often there is a tradeoff. Sidekicks will always be relatively slow compared to other kicks, though powerful, and a jab can be blazingly fast and stun a person, but will never be too strong.

If the bag swings too much then it is a push

If it folds even slightly then it is a good strong powerful strike

I just had someone who I train with trying to explain how to punch with power instead of pushing. It's an art for sure.

being a grappler I tend to lead with my head and don't "tuck" my hips. being in the proper stance has helped but I still need some work.

how big is your bag, maybe if it's one of those 200lbs ones, it won't move much. or he means being able to strike fast n pull back.

hitting full power and not moving something is impossible. a good strike is one that pushes and penetrates imo.

if you hit the bag hard on the top half, it should jump on its chain unless its one of those huge 200lb+ bags.

we have a 6 foot something black bag that is full of sand and that bitch folds when it gets hit properly

I know exactly what he is talking about. Its about snapping your punches, distance, there are alot of variables that go into it. Im not sure if its anymore effective than anything other punch...but its quite possible to do.

I think this is similiar to difference in bullet performance.

A bigger heavier bullet going slower would push a target more. A lighter faster bullet wouldn't move it as far, but gives it more of a jolt.

Momentum Vs. Energy. Where momentum gives the push and the explosive shock is more from energy. A balance of both would probably be best.

momentum = bag would swing more

energy= bag would fold or jump more

the average bag should move in both cases unless you are some kind of a puny man. :p

anyone who has seen "when we were kings" can see what a great punch does to a bag
foreman hits a heavy bag and leaves a "grapefruit sized dent" in it
he's got a little guy holding the bag, but if he was pishing the punches that fella would be swinging round all over the place, as it was, he was just being jolted hard
watch it, it doesn't teach you how to punch but it does show you what you want to happen to the bag

If the bag swings wildly, DOESNT ALWAYS MEAN YOUR PUSHING PUNCHES!

stuartSan said:
There's this statement I overheard my instructor asking his trainee instructor.

"I want you to hit the bag as hard as you can, with impact. But the bag should not move. If you learn to do this, your students will love you. If you don't, they'll hate you."

Well needless to say the trainee has been busting his brains trying to figure it out. I have too.

Has anyone come across such a question? What's the answer if you did?

Join another gym, this ones shit... Trust me!

Half you guys dont know shit about punching.

WHEN YOU HIT A BAG WITH COMBINATIONS IT GETS PUSHED AWAY FROM YOU!!!!

where the fuck is it going to go after that? back towards you right???????

THEN YOU HIT IT AGAIN, AT A POINT THAT SEEMS NUETRAL BUT IT ACTUALLY SWINGS AWAY FROM YOU FROM THE FIRST COMBO.

yOUR PUNCHES HIT THE BAG GIVING IT MORE FORCE TO SWING MORE, EVEN THE BEST SNAPPING PUNCHES WILL DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Doug Makenzie said:

THEN YOU HIT IT AGAIN, AT A POINT THAT SEEMS NUETRAL BUT IT ACTUALLY SWINGS AWAY FROM YOU FROM THE FIRST COMBO.

yOUR PUNCHES HIT THE BAG GIVING IT MORE FORCE TO SWING MORE, EVEN THE BEST SNAPPING PUNCHES WILL DO THIS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Thats assuming your hitting the bag straight on and not using any foot work or taking any angles

Doug Makenzie said:

I thought the push vs. fold description was pretty clear.

Of course the bag is going to swing around some regardless, but is the bag folding when you hit it or not?

I mean I think the bottom line is to try and put snap in your punches, correct?

I worked hard on the bag last night. 6" Thai Bag, when I hit it and made it fold I could tell a huge difference than when I was pushing it. Of course with combos the bag starts to swing but it was more because the bag was jumping than it was being pushed.

Back