Pull ups

If you can't do any.

Assisted pull-ups: with bands if you have them, or many gyms have a Hammer Strength machine that allows you to do assisted pull-ups.

Negatives: grab a chair or bench, get yourself in the "up" position, take your feet off the bench, and slowly lower yourself to the "down" position.

If you can't do any.

Assisted pull-ups: with bands if you have them, or many gyms have a Hammer Strength machine that allows you to do assisted pull-ups.

Negatives: grab a chair or bench, get yourself in the "up" position, take your feet off the bench, and slowly lower yourself to the "down" position.

People have told me bench pressing and pushups would help but don't they use different muscles?

People have told me bench pressing and pushups would help but don't they use different muscles?

There's a more complicated way to answer this...but in general, yes, different muscle groups. Pressing movements (ie. the bench press) and pulling movements (ie. the pull-up) are generally antagonistic, and work "opposing" muscles.

Given the limited knowledge, I doubt you have much weight training experience. If so, I wouldn't worry so much immediately about pull ups. Just focus on getting stronger doing what you can do (for your pulling muscles, barbell rows would be a good start) and throw some negative pull ups in to practice the specific movement when possible.

And if you need a good program to get stronger...everyone is about to recommend Starting Strength.

Losing weight also helps. (Not saying you have a weight problem necessarily...but your current strength/bodyweight ratio is unideal).

There's a more complicated way to answer this...but in general, yes, different muscle groups. Pressing movements (ie. the bench press) and pulling movements (ie. the pull-up) are generally antagonistic, and work "opposing" muscles.

Given the limited knowledge, I doubt you have much weight training experience. If so, I wouldn't worry so much immediately about pull ups. Just focus on getting stronger doing what you can do (for your pulling muscles, barbell rows would be a good start) and throw some negative pull ups in to practice the specific movement when possible.

And if you need a good program to get stronger...everyone is about to recommend Starting Strength.

Losing weight also helps. (Not saying you have a weight problem necessarily...but your current strength/bodyweight ratio is unideal).

Thanks for the help i lost 35 pounds in less than three months i was hoping that would help.

Read the FAQ, drink milk, do Starting Strength.

The end.

Negatives with a chair worked for me. You can search "scooby assisted pull ups" on YouTube, it's a good video on pull ups for beginners.

latt pulldowns. basicaly the same movement, but with controllable weight. i know how you feel, i can only do a few. you need to work on your latts and biceps.

35lbs over 3 months hardly seems drastic.

I didn't think so either.

If it was junk weight and you lost it through decent diet and exercise, that amount is hardly a big deal.

+1 to negatives and band-assisted pull-ups. Also, do chins (palms facing you) instead of pull-ups (palms away) because they engage your biceps more so more muscle is used. If you are really weak then lat pulldowns can be done but you will make better progress using an actual chin variation.

Whats the fastest way to increase your pull ups?

Same advice I'm going to give you is the same one I got when I was in the Army in Russia,"smazki paz" or "greasing the groove". If you have a pullup bar at home, try doing a number of reps(i.e. 5) and do them throughout the day whenever you can. Once that becomes easy increase the repetitions. You can also do some kipping to get break a plateau but always try to use strict form. Udacha Tovarishch:D

Im currently on SS and I do assisted chins dips and pullups. Would it be better to work with singles/doubles or even negatives instead of 2x8 assisted?

thanks in advance

I do band assisted pull ups every bench day. I could barely do 3 straight weight when I started. Started with a blue and green band. Every week just lessened the band tension and kept doing the same amount. Now I can do as many on just a green band as I was doing with the Green and Blue.

I do 5-6 sets of near max reps then as I near failure on the last two or three reps I hold the negative. I'm not worried about increasing my pull ups but my lat strength is a major weak point on my BP.

Lose weight

yao-ming-meme-generator-fuck-that-shit-fe9d08.jpg

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JoyceOuthw
Back