Pull ups

Same advice I'm going to give you is the same one I got when I was in the Army in Russia,"smazki paz" or "greasing the groove". If you have a pullup bar at home, try doing a number of reps(i.e. 5) and do them throughout the day whenever you can. Once that becomes easy increase the repetitions. You can also do some kipping to get break a plateau but always try to use strict form. Udacha Tovarishch:D

Might I inquire as to how you grease the groove when you can't do any pull-ups? It seems the grease to used to lubricate said groove would be lacking, persay. And doing anything without proper lubrication is ill-advised.

But more seriously. He can't do any pull-ups. Greasing the groove might be less-than-ideal, you dig?

Might I inquire as to how you grease the groove when you can't do any pull-ups? It seems the grease to used to lubricate said groove would be lacking, persay. And doing anything without proper lubrication is ill-advised.

But more seriously. He can't do any pull-ups. Greasing the groove might be less-than-ideal, you dig?

what's greasing the groove? And why would I need lube to do pull ups? I honestly don't know much about strength training could you explain?

what's greasing the groove? And why would I need lube to do pull ups? I honestly don't know much about strength training could you explain?

Sub maximal sets throughout the day. I think that's about an accurate way to sum it up. For example: If you max at 10, throughout the day knockout sets of 5 every few hours.

When you're at the gym just knockout a few throughout your workout.

On your "back day" if you do that kind of routine. Do 50 pull-ups, even if they come one at a time. Then continue to hit the grease the grove method. If you remain consistent you'll get your numbers up quick. I used to struggle with the 50 pull-up days, got to a point where the 100 pull-up days were the struggle and 50 was a break.

Edit: I see a lot of stuff about negatives and I'll echo on that. If you're unable to do 6-10 in a single set keep working negatives until you're ready to do 25 pull-ups (broken up) on your back day. I have a similar body type to you I guess. When I first started I was 170ish and 6'2" with long ass arms. 2 things I noticed that did NOT work are pull downs and the assisted pull-up machine. Neither helped my pull-ups improve. Negatives, grease the groove and lots of jumping on the bar barely getting one and repeating.

Good luck bro.

Last edited:

Why?

Pulldowns get a lot of hate here, but they arent a bad movement. Id you do them strict and to your sternum, they can be a great way to train your back if you cant do pullups yet. Im not saying they are a replacement, however; they are a good way build up too pullups. Also, every gym has a pulldown machine, but not bands or assisted pullup machine.

You just have to get the reps in. Do as many as you can in the hardest variation, then do an easier variation, and then an easier variation until you've put in a significant amount of reps and literally can't do anymore.

I couldn't do a pull-up when I started working out (and I weighed a whopping 125lbs). But I got really good at them within a few months after doing multiple crazy ass CrossFit workouts that had me doing anywhere from 50-150 pullups a workout several times a week (or in my case, easier pull up variations). Just get the reps in.

Why?

Pulldowns get a lot of hate here, but they arent a bad movement. Id you do them strict and to your sternum, they can be a great way to train your back if you cant do pullups yet. Im not saying they are a replacement, however; they are a good way build up too pullups. Also, every gym has a pulldown machine, but not bands or assisted pullup machine.

Properly performed, they are not a bad movement. But for pull-up training, I would label them un-ideal. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't derive some benefit from strict, controlled pull-downs. If the option exists, assisted pull-ups would be more beneficial.

Do the pullup program I posted. Guaranteed to get you up to 20 pullups within a few weeks.

Do the pullup program I posted. Guaranteed to get you up to 20 pullups within a few weeks.

Have you read anything in this thread? He can't do a single pull-up. HOW IS HE SUPPOSED TO GREASE THE GROOVE OR DO RECON RON WITHOUT BEING ABLE TO DO A PULL-UP. The first post in the link you provided even says a general prerequisite for the program is the ability to do SIX pull-ups.

To be honest. Do pullups 3 TIMES per day DROP SETS.

go to failure on your first set
Then your 2nd set
Then 3rd

ALL FAILURE SETS

So EXAMPLE:

day 1: session 1: pullups (10lb weighted belt)
x8
x5
x3
x1

day 1: session 2: pullups (10lb weighted belt)
x8
x5
x3
x1

day 1:session 3: pullups (10lb weighted belt)
x7 (say you cant hit the 8...)
x4
x2
x0 (say you miss this rep..its ok.)

* DO THAT 10lb WEIGHTED belt for 1-2 weeks. Do it until your last set hits 5-6 OR ABOVE. Then you add 5lbs..

* O AND TAKE AT LEAST 1-3 days completely off during the week. Doesn't matter which days. Just make sure you recovering well and making gains in strength.

good luck bro. Eventually, you will be doing 45lb plate for say.. 12, 9, 7, 5.

Then once you go back to bodyweight pullups, you will be doing 20-30 reps straight. I also reccomend you test your bodyweight pullup FAILURE strength to see how much you progress. So test that once per week (i suggest doing it after an off day).

Other than that, if you are doing DB rows (heavy lifting), make sure you do them in the morning after an off day from pullups. so say you have weightlifting tomorrow morning but you want to do this pullup thing. Do the lifting first, then come back to this pullup thing. GOOD LUCK AGAIN!

EDIT: also warmup properly, but not TOO hard. And REST 1:00 between each pullup set!!

Last edited:
O and for above... if you'd rather do only 2 sessions per day thats fine as well.

Assisted pull-ups: with bands if you have them, or many gyms have a Hammer Strength machine that allows you to do assisted pull-ups.

Negatives: grab a chair or bench, get yourself in the "up" position, take your feet off the bench, and slowly lower yourself to the "down" position.
latt pulldowns. basicaly the same movement, but with controllable weight. i know how you feel, i can only do a few. you need to work on your latts and biceps.
These.

Plus, if you want to, you can throw in iso moves like pullovers or elbow curls at the end, though they won't help as much.

do chins (palms facing you) instead of pull-ups (palms away) because they engage your biceps more so more muscle is used.
They are pull ups regardless of which way your hands are facing. They're chinups if you get your chin up to the bar, oy (if the chin's over the bar I call it a neck up, cooler).

The biceps are engaged in palms-away (supine) variation too, they just have a weaker pulling angle. A bigger difference is supine hands tend to keep the elbows in closer to the front of the body (adducted) whereas palms-away lets the elbows go out to the sides (abducted) wich changes the shoulder movement from extension to adduction, just like leaning back during extension becomes hyperextension and leaning back during adduction becomes transverse extension.

If you are really weak then lat pulldowns can be done but you will make better progress using an actual chin variation.
Pulldowns are a chin variation, the only difference is the body being fixed instead of the hand. Big deal, but it's all in the mind.

I'd say they are a replacement, it's the same freakin' motion. I'd just rather do pull ups because it's more fun to move through space, frees the machine up for others, you can do it anywhere, and you can stretch your legs out.

Properly performed, they are not a bad movement. But for pull-up training, I would label them un-ideal. But that doesn't mean he wouldn't derive some benefit from strict, controlled pull-downs. If the option exists, assisted pull-ups would be more beneficial.
Why would it be more beneficial to do an assisted/cheating version of the closed-chain instead of a strict version of the open-chain? The chain concept has the most impact during pressing exercises. Form stability takes care of itself easier with vertical pulling stuff.

These.

Plus, if you want to, you can throw in iso moves like pullovers or elbow curls at the end, though they won't help as much.

They are pull ups regardless of which way your hands are facing. They're chinups if you get your chin up to the bar, oy (if the chin's over the bar I call it a neck up, cooler).

The biceps are engaged in palms-away (supine) variation too, they just have a weaker pulling angle. A bigger difference is supine hands tend to keep the elbows in closer to the front of the body (adducted) whereas palms-away lets the elbows go out to the sides (abducted) wich changes the shoulder movement from extension to adduction, just like leaning back during extension becomes hyperextension and leaning back during adduction becomes transverse extension.

Pulldowns are a chin variation, the only difference is the body being fixed instead of the hand. Big deal, but it's all in the mind.

I'd say they are a replacement, it's the same freakin' motion. I'd just rather do pull ups because it's more fun to move through space, frees the machine up for others, you can do it anywhere, and you can stretch your legs out.

Why would it be more beneficial to do an assisted/cheating version of the closed-chain instead of a strict version of the open-chain? The chain concept has the most impact during pressing exercises. Form stability takes care of itself easier with vertical pulling stuff.

I am not sure I understand. You are saying that you think lat pull-downs would have greater carryover to pull-up performance than assisted pull-ups?

Negatives. Band assisted and chair assisted are good places to start.

I find that negatives help the most. Progress is slow but steady. I make a mental note to do one negative every time I pass the doorway with a chin bar.

ive found this to be the most effective way to increase pull ups and it is....

do as many pull ups as you can rest and do some more and keep doing it until you reach 30 reps all together.

next time you work out your lats make that number 35 and everytime after that increase it by 5 reps all together.

once i did this i started being able to do 5 pull ups at most at one time and now i can do 25 in one set.

Remember when you're doing your pull ups that you have to go all the way down, then all the way up to make it count. That means start with your arms locked out straight, then pull up and until your chin has clearcly cleared the bar, then slowly go back down to arms locked out straight. Don't do that pansy stuff where you bob your head up and down past the bar without ever straightening your arms.

YES IT'S HARDER BUT YOU'LL GAIN STRENGTH FASTER NO PAIN NO GAIN DUDE

I got from zero pullups to 12 by using the assisted chair method. But instead of putting it in front of me i put it behind me.

It feels more pullup like than putting the chair in front and saw much more progress to doing a real pullup.

Back