Pull ups

Weight and height are factors, you don't have to have a lot of muscle. If your are quite light and short you will have good time doing pull ups.
So basically you should try to cut some weight if you're carrying extra fat. What I also experienced that doing multiple pull up sessions in a day helps a lot. Your body is forced to adapt. One summer I was doing up to 3 pull up sessions in a day. After a while I was able to do up to ~25 pull ups in the row.

Last edited:
Weight and height are factors, you don't have to have a lot of muscle. If your are quite light and short you will have good time doing pull ups.
So basically you should try to cut some weight if you're carrying extra fat. What I also experienced that doing multiple pull up sessions in a day helps a lot. Your body is forced to adapt. One summer I was doing up 3 pull up sessions in a day. After a while I was able to do up to ~25 push ups in the row.
This is what's commonly referred to as "Grabbing the Gooch." It's a very effective technique for increasing pullups. Listen to this man.

Start wearing a backpack with weights added. Eventually when you start doing them without the backpack, you'll feel like King Kong

I have found that strengthening your back is the best for pullups. For years I did the "more pullups" and it didn't do much. At my fat self at 180 I could barely do 6. Later on during MT camp when I trimmed down, at 156 I barely hit 4-5.
Last year I spent near a year bulking with alot of emphasis on back work (horizontal and vertical pulls) I peaked to 185-190 while being able to do 8-11, and 4-5 with 25lbs suspended from me.

That wouldn't have happened without having back work put in. I found the lat pulldown helped alot also, it might get some shit around here, but I found it to be pretty useful.

Also check your form, if you're not feeling it in your lats, you're doing it wrong. There should be a slight arch when pulling, not a strict, flat, linear up and down

Back