Prime Sergei vs Stipe....Interesting?

Sergei was awesome as hell, similar to Fedor.

He'd be at the top of the current UFC roster, no doubt, but some commenters saying he'd thrash Stipe Miocic? eeeeeeeeeeh.......not so fast.

I see people saying Stipe is an all time great HW off beating up guys way past their primes(Hunt, Reem, JDS etc).

Does anyone remember how much of a badass Sergei was in his prime?

Awesome boxing, top submission game and iron chin.

He has wins over Reem and Werdum when they where young and dangerous. I don't see how Stipe would beat a prime Sergei.

For those who only worship the UFC, Dana and the garbage Joe Rogaine spews, educate yourself on Sergei and you just may gain some perspective.

Discuss.
96b68ddca5439dfdf3e3434af019c3f8--sergei-kharitonov-freedom-fighters.jpg

Horry shit I still remember his fight vs Arlovski, dude looked like he was dead and Sergei just shrugged and walked off.

But people who end a first post with 'discuss' need to stop creating threads if they can't curtail that disgusting habit.

The big issue with Stipe for me is that he's a well rounded guy with power who fights smart in an era were almost all HW's have glaring flaws in there games to exploit. Overeem and JDS are just terrible defensively when put against the fence, Werdum pushing forward with his chin out, Hunt has limited cardio and questionable wrestling.

In the Pride era I think he would be fighting in a very different environment, his opponents who would have fewer in the way of clear flaws to try and target and he'd have to go toe to toe with them much more. The clear giveaway is how many matches actually went to a decision back then or at least went long.

Top submission game? I don't know about that... His submission wins aren't against elite competition and Barnett took him down and submitted him with ease. Kharitonov's glaring hole was his ground game and I don't think he would stand a chance against someone like Cain or any other elite HW with good ground game. He's a one dimensional fighter but if he fought someone who just wanted to stand and bang, prime Kharitonov would have a good chance at winning. I think it's a bit delusional thinking that he'd beat Miocic considering Kharitonov never was close to being the best of the best in Pride.

Top submission game? I don't know about that... His submission wins aren't against elite competition and Barnett took him down and submitted him with ease. Kharitonov's glaring hole was his ground game and I don't think he would stand a chance against someone like Cain or any other elite HW with good ground game. He's a one dimensional fighter but if he fought someone who just wanted to stand and bang, prime Kharitonov would have a good chance at winning. I think it's a bit delusional thinking that he'd beat Miocic considering Kharitonov never was close to being the best of the best in Pride.

He was still in better shape physically vs Barnett but by that point his focus was really much more on kickboxing, the man grappled with both Werdum and Nog and was never in any submission danger back in the day plus destroyed Semmy on the ground.

PRIDE HW really was insane

fedor, cro cop, nog, barnett, hunt, sergei, aleks e to name a few

any of those guys in their prime can compete with the top guys today

Lol thread did not go the way Ts expected

Stipe beats every HW mentioned in this thread

Sergei was a bit small for a HW. He would be at LHW with USADA.

Nah stipe would just take him down and beat on him. Sergei still very dangerous his one of those guys with natural power in his hands can ko you at any time stipe won't take that chance just like hunt.

Which version of Sergei is prime? The one who was KO'd by a smaller Overeem and Aleks back-to-back?

After he beat Sergei, Overeem went on to lose to Werdum, Arona, Little Nog and Shogun within the next year.

KOed by a smaller Overeem? Whats up with kids nowadays spreading BS? Here, take another look at their first fight

Also might wanna take a look at their second fight where Overeem did get KTFO.

PS: I would favor Stipe but not by much. Sergei had better hands imo and could take a lot of abuse.

KOed by a smaller Overeem? Whats up with kids nowadays spreading BS? Here, take another look at their first fight

Also might wanna take a look at their second fight where Overeem did get KTFO.

PS: I would favor Stripe but not by much. Sergei had better hands imo and could take a lot of abuse.

He was "growing" (thanks to Pride's no-testing policy), but he wasn't nearly Ubereem yet. Like I said, he lost to Shogun after he beat Sergei.

Sergei was a bit small for a HW. He would be at LHW with USADA.

Yep. If Stipe didn't want to stand with Sergei (why take the risk?), he could take him down and pound him out...or at least get a dominant UD win.

He was "growing" (thanks to Pride's no-testing policy), but he wasn't nearly Ubereem yet. Like I said, he lost to Shogun after he beat Sergei.
TSK...popped shoulder on take down, what KO?

An old, way-past-his prime Monson also subbed Sergei very quickly and easily. This was around the same time that Monson lost twice to Pedro Rizzo, who was also way past his prime.

Back