Prime Sergei vs Stipe....Interesting?

I see your point, but young Aleks had great punching speed and trained with Red Devil Sports team and wasn't scum back them. He just seemed to not be as focused on MMA as Fedor. But dude had the size and speed.
he was one of those guys that made the top 10 but never realistically had a shot at the top 5 guys.. he's like black beast or hunt or perhaps rothwell

You could say that about Stipe vs any legendary HW. Quick examples:
Fedor (in a ring)
Cro Cop (in a ring)
Big Nog
Mir (I favor Stipe by a lot here lol)
Prime Barnett
Prime JDS
Pre-injuries Cain
Hell, even roided Timmeh, who had some good TDD and was tall and long.
i would take stipe in all those fights. cro cop might catch him with a kick but stipe would most likely just pressure him and ko him

i would take stipe in all those fights. cro cop might catch him with a kick but stipe would most likely just pressure him and ko him
rULwcLx.gif

Hmmm
Stipe/ Fedor I think Stipe can keep it standing and KO him, but Prime Fedor always found a way. This would be a legendary fight.
Stipe/ Cro Cop: I don't think Stipe can do what Randleman did. Cro Cop most likely finds a way to corner Stipe and KOs him.
Stipe/ Big Nog: Stipe keeps it standing and decisions him. Prime Big Nog had the GOAT chin, but he'd lose the fight.
Stipe/ Mir: Stipe KOs him lol
Stipe/ Barnett: As long as Stipe keeps it standing, he can win.
Stipe/ Prime JDS: Would be a legendary fight, but I think Stipe knows the gameplan to beat any JDS.
Stipe/ Prime Cain: A GOAT fight. Stipe can win on the feet, but I have no idea how he'd react to Cain's pressure. I'd favor him though because Cain can be KOed as we saw with JDS 1, and Stipe has a lot of power.

Hmmm
Stipe/ Fedor I think Stipe can keep it standing and KO him, but Prime Fedor always found a way. This would be a legendary fight.
Stipe/ Cro Cop: I don't think Stipe can do what Randleman did. Cro Cop most likely finds a way to corner Stipe and KOs him.
Stipe/ Big Nog: Stipe keeps it standing and decisions him. Prime Big Nog had the GOAT chin, but he'd lose the fight.
Stipe/ Mir: Stipe KOs him lol
Stipe/ Barnett: As long as Stipe keeps it standing, he can win.
Stipe/ Prime JDS: Would be a legendary fight, but I think Stipe knows the gameplan to beat any JDS.
Stipe/ Prime Cain: A GOAT fight. Stipe can win on the feet, but I have no idea how he'd react to Cain's pressure. I'd favor him though because Cain can be KOed as we saw with JDS 1, and Stipe has a lot of power.
crocop didn't fair well against pressure fighters and stipe has better hands than fedor or gonzaga or randleman.. the toughest fight would be cain

Igor would of destroyed Stipe. Hell, Gary Goodridge would of tko him. These new breed of heavy weights sucks. Mark Hunt would take Stipe's soul.
Do you keep up with MMA? Stipe ko'd Hunt, 5/10/15.

I've thought about this one.

Both have huge noggins

Brain says Stipe

Heart says Sergei

I see people saying Stipe is an all time great HW off beating up guys way past their primes(Hunt, Reem, JDS etc).

Does anyone remember how much of a badass Sergei was in his prime?

Awesome boxing, top submission game and iron chin.

He has wins over Reem and Werdum when they where young and dangerous. I don't see how Stipe would beat a prime Sergei.

For those who only worship the UFC, Dana and the garbage Joe Rogaine spews, educate yourself on Sergei and you just may gain some perspective.

Discuss.
96b68ddca5439dfdf3e3434af019c3f8--sergei-kharitonov-freedom-fighters.jpg

Nope, he made stupid mistakes IE. Laughing at Alexander when tagged and offering him free shots to show how he could take it..... He couldn't and didn't.

Stipe's probably a bit better at everything than prime Sergei bar toughness

You could say that about Stipe vs any legendary HW. Quick examples:
Fedor (in a ring)
Cro Cop (in a ring)
Big Nog
Mir (I favor Stipe by a lot here lol)
Prime Barnett
Prime JDS
Pre-injuries Cain
Hell, even roided Timmeh, who had some good TDD and was tall and long.

Mir even in his prime would for me be more like the kind of fighter that makes up HW today, dangerous but with obvious weaknesses that Stipe has shown he's good at exploiting.

That's why I don't think Stipe would have been nearly as successful a decade ago, someone like Sergei didn't have any glaring weaknesses back then yet he couldn't get into the top 5. Style wise as well he was rather like Stipe but I would say with better defence standing, look at the Rizzo fight for example where Pedro hits almost nothing but air.

Stipe's probably a bit better at everything than prime Sergei bar toughness

I'd say he's potentially a bit better at wrestling, might have an argument for power I spose although both hit hard, sub grapping Sergei was definitely better and again I think he was a better technical boxer who had a superior armature background(could potentially have gone to the 2004 Olympics with Kazakhstan but chose MMA).

l1QGnFM.gif

A lot changed after the injuries started piling up post 2007 though, besides neglecting his grappling he lost a lot of agility and became more of a MT brawler type fighter who depended on his gloves/chin in kickboxing.

Stipe is an improved version of Sergei, with better wrestling, footwork etc

Better wrestling I'd agree but better footwork? walking straight forward into punches?

JDS and Overeem having terrible defence on the backfoot is I think the big issue there.

Last edited:
Prime Kharitonov vs Fedor would be even more interesting.

And vs Mirko

Prime Kharitonov vs Fedor would be even more interesting.

And vs Mirko

Its a shame really that never happened, I think Pride were looking for it in 2006 if Sergei had beaten Aleks. Would have been a test but I suspect Sergei's wrestling might have been a flaw, it was pretty good but he often depended on his grappling to escape/sweep yet Fedor was obviously a master at punishing guys like that(Nog and Herring) with GnP.

Sergei/Mirko is probably close to the top of fights I wish had happened in Pride.

He has wins over Reem and Werdum when they where young and dangerous. I don't see how Stipe would beat a prime Sergei.

KO? GnP?
C'mon Miocic has all the tools to beat him but yeah, it would be a really close fight which could go either way.

Back