Prime Royce vs Maia at WW, who takes it?

maia.

but woodley would wreck both.

Yes Woodley definitely "wrecked" Maia...

He threw roughly an average of 10 strikes per round. That's 2 strikes per minute... Maia will never be the same.

I had watched the fight. From what I remember Shields had top position for a long time and I gave him the decision.

He reversed Maia and laid on his guard for 2 rounds, Maia took his back and also got the only 2 Tds of the fight, shields won the fight by literally throwing more akward kicks in the 5th, the grappling was nullified, but under grappling rules, Maia won that fight. The fight was very close, I'm not saying Maia won the fight. it was a Mma fight, not a grappling match, shields rightfully won the fight, but no by outgrappling Maia.

Palhares would also destroy him and Maybe break his legs

Royce by a land slide.

Royce finished Shamrock and Kimo

Can you imagine what those guys would do to woodley?

Maia couldn’t even beat woodley. For f sake

First,.. Hughes is as good at grappling as Maia.

Second, Royce was way out of prime when he fought Hughes.

I’d say better grappler in an MMA sense. Wtf has Maia done? Where are his UFC belts?

Exactly

History of mma? Roger Gracie, Royler Gracie, Fredson Paixao, Marcelo Garcia, Jacare, Andre Galvao, Alexandre Ribeiro, etc etc.. ?

American side.. Jake, Drysdale, Monson, etc.. ?

Thinking you should know the history a bit more, before speaking on it..

Royce beats Maia..
MMA. all these guys are really subpar in MMA. I mean, aside jacaré. but demian had a way better career in MMA than all of these guys combined

You didn't read my post properly. Davie was talking about Rorion in the USA not Brazil and what he says is corroborated by others.
I got that actually...

What Davie saw in the US was a long process which started in Brazil, since the 1970s especially, when Rolls got involved in the televised BJJ vs Karate Challenge.

There´s somethin´ very doubtful in what he said, especially the RIckson part where Helio sided with Rorion..

2 things, IMO:

1- In such families, there are many feuds, but they tend to avoid exposing these feuds in business encounters especially.

2- Davie might speak Spanish, but I doubt he speaks/spoke portuguese, and there are some subtle differences..
Not sure he got what Helio said.(doubt Helio´s english was that "good" in the 1990s)

Obviously, all this is pure speculation.

Last edited:
This would probably just be an awful kickboxing fight won by Maia

How many modern mma fighters would have faced the unknown like Royce did? Maia's bjj is obv solid but just stepping up back then took more than just skill and deserves it's own recognition.

so many ufc fighters today can destroy prime Royce Gracie

Maia all the way.
The sport has evolved, and Maia would have an advantage in every aspect.
Same to almost every sport: most modern athletes are better than old legends, but you have always to compare them against their competition at the time.
Royce was a pioneer, a man that will leave a legacy much bigger than Maia's, even though Maia would own in in BJJ and MMA..

Wow, crazy to see the newer fans who weren't around when Royce was choking out dudes 3 times his size think Maia is better. You think that because that's who you're more familiar with noobs. Royce was the smallest of the family and the craftiest, you could never count him out. Go check some history casuals
Royce in his prime couldnt beat your average jouneyman from today

Last edited:
Mia is a much more well rounded righter.

Royce would shoot his lame single, and Maia would pound him from Brazilian to bolivian.

Wow, crazy to see the newer fans who weren't around when Royce was choking out dudes 3 times his size think Maia is better. You think that because that's who you're more familiar with noobs. Royce was the smallest of the family and the craftiest, you could never count him out. Go check some history casuals
I think they are basing it on the experience Royces opponents had in grappling vs Maia raping a bunch of guys who have been at it for years.
Maia easily submits Royce

"Maia would probably be able to get his first knockout in the UFC if he went for it."

Jus´curious...Maia hits harder than Kimo?
Good point, Royce was tough as nails but if you saw what Hughes did to him you know Maia can do similar although he’d probably go for a quick sub.

I got that actually...

What Davie saw in the US was a long process which started in Brazil, since the 1970s especially, when Rolls got involved in the televised BJJ vs Karate Challenge.
There´s somethin´ very doubtful in what he said, especially the RIckson part where Helio sided with Rorion..

2 things, IMO:
1- In such families, there are many feuds, but they tend to avoid exposing these feuds in business encounters especially.
2- Davie might speak Spanish, but I doubt he speaks/spoke portuguese, and there are some subtle differences..
Not sure he got what Helio said.(doubt Helio´s english was that "good" in the 1990s)
Obviously, all this is pure speculation.

So all you have is pure speculation while other Gracies and students have basically said the same thing about Rorion - that he controlled everything including the purse strings for the entire family. Davies only added the part about Rickson leaving because his wife chided him about the arrangement.

Royce would stuff all maias takedowns
50-45

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
ufc925
Back