Prime Royce vs Maia at WW, who takes it?

Do u know about the multiple challenges in Brazil b4 this UFC1?

Im talkin´ about:

BJJ vs Luta Livre [1980s]
BJJ vs Karate [1970s]
BJJ vs Luta Livre [1960s]
GJJ vs Oswaldo Fadda´s students [1950s]

My point is that the Gracies totally avoided Luta Livre fighters in UFC 1. I'd give Ruas a very good chance of beating Royce. He could defend submissions well and had much better striking.

Inaccurate.

People forgot it, but SAKU GOAT adapted his game after the Allan Goes fight, which showed him how to deal with a BJJ guard.

Essential fight for him.

Nothing was inaccurate about what I said. Sak learned and adapted as he went along. The Gracies had been training since toddlers and doing Gracie Challenge matches since they were teenagers. On paper, the should have dominated MMA for at least 10 years. But fighters like Sak made sure that didn't happen.

My point is that the Gracies totally avoided Luta Livre fighters in UFC 1. I'd give Ruas a very good chance of beating Royce. He could defend submissions well and had much better striking.

A guy like Marco Ruas was already invited in the BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge in 1984, and Marco himself admitted they owed him NUTHIN´, for business reasons & coz Luta Livre and BJJ were rivals.

GJJ fighters lost a lot against Luta Livre dudes back in the days, but never backed down a fight against them.

See:

Carlson/Waldemar Santana vs Ivan Gomes/Euclydes Pereira in the 1950s-60s

BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge (1984)

BJJ vs Luta Livre Challenge (1994)

Ruas would have beat him, but the Gracies would have sent Rickson, since the rivalry was always btw these 2

So you're just a mindless Gracie sycophant who tries to argue with everything, eh?
Dont be an idiot, if I say "SAKU GOAT"... means Im a Gracie Killer fan.

But u write so many BS.

Takada? Rickson´s most important win?

Laughable.

Nothing was inaccurate about what I said. Sak learned and adapted as he went along. The Gracies had been training since toddlers and doing Gracie Challenge matches since they were teenagers. On paper, the should have dominated MMA for at least 10 years. But fighters like Sak made sure that didn't happen.
U didnt understand what happened in the Goes fight and the learning experience it was for SAKU GOAT.

U didnt understand what happened in the Goes fight and the learning experience it was for SAKU GOAT.

you've made it clear you aren't reading anything that anyone writes,

and yer referring to events in the 50s or 70s as if you were there (so you must be like 75?)
or as if it has anything to do with early UFC.

the points I and others made still stand.

you've made it clear you aren't reading anything that anyone writes,

and yer referring to events in the 50s or 70s as if you were there (so you must be like 75?)
or as if it has anything to do with early UFC.

the points I and others made still stand.
If u dont want to understand the evolution of this shit, why bother?

People who say Royce wasn't that good are wrong, he was good, he was a pioneer, even in the BJJ world at the time Royce was a somebody.

Throughout the rest of the 90's Royce did not have the acclaim of others in the Gracie family.

Maia is in a different league he, Werdum and Jacre are the most accomplished BBJ guys to ever compete in the UFC.

Maia would beat Royce in the octagon but I don't think it would be as much of a blow out as these other guys think it would be.

Royce was never a top guy in BJJ....

Maia has won world championships....

Royce, tbh, was never that good, his competition was terrible....the original UFC was just a way to promote gracie jiu jitsu....they didn't invite any real fighters besides shamrock who they knew royce could beat.....

just make this a poll...and ban anyone who is so utterly clueless as to pick Royce.

that might clean up this forum a bit lol

Maia makes Royce look like a piss belt.

That is not hyperbole either...

correct me if Im wrong....was Rickson not suppose to be fighting in UFC1((the entire cage design supposedly made to compliment his fighting style)) and it was a disagreement between Rickson and Rorian that resulted in Royce being chosen to rep GJJ? Im not sure how that fits into the "not wanting to blow the competition out of the water" narratives that some are pushing forth

to the point, I would pick Maia over Royce, Rickson over Maia ((way more interesting than vs Royce, imo))
We'll never know the truth, but that's the legend. Whatever happened, it worked.

Thanx, gonna read it, but I doubt Davie really had full knowledge of what happened in Brazil prior to UFC 1 and what was happening inside the family...imo

You didn't read my post properly. Davie was talking about Rorion in the USA not Brazil and what he says is corroborated by others.

Back