Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

It would look like Floyd/Manny (yes I'm aware Manny fights nothing like Duran but both of them need to get inside to be effective, though for diff reasons). Floyd would stifle him before he got anywhere near him.

It would look like Floyd/Manny (yes I'm aware Manny fights nothing like Duran but both of them need to get inside to be effective, though for diff reasons). Floyd would stifle him before he got anywhere near him.
Bingo.

Against Money, really?

I’ll just leave this here…

If JMM was Canelo's size then we could talk about Duran at WW or above. Can we really compare Corrales to Hearns? Much less moving up 3 weight classes to fight him.

So you think Floyd would fight in a phone booth like Leonard did v Duran?

Every time this thread comes up, people imagine Floyd in the sort of fight he was never in and suddenly envision Duran solving all the problems he had with a good slick boxer, or they pick the worst version of Floyd we ever saw against the best version of Duran.

Prime for prime, the best version of Floyd, around the time he stepped up to WW wouldn't even lose a round.
It just sounds crazy to me to think Duran wouldn't even win a round. Are you thinking of the worst version of Duran and him coming in at 135 while Floyd weighed 147?

If JMM was Canelo's size then we could talk about Duran at WW or above. Can we really compare Corrales to Hearns? Much less moving up 3 weight classes to fight him.
So, you're saying weight had to do with the 2nd round lights out KO?

I don't think Floyd has enough power to get Durans attention and keep him at bay. I think Duran walks through Floyds punches. Duran was teak tough. That's how I think he deals with the offence of Floyd, he just ignores it. I think choice of ref really plays an important factor in a matchup though. If a ref just lets Floyd clinch up and breaks them like he did with the Hatton fight then that would really hamper Duran. Will Floyd be allowed to get away with his holding tactics that's a pertinent question.
Holding is illegal so you have a good point there. I thought Manny lost any chance he had to win by Floyd being allowed to clinch so much. I know it's usually guys, that are gassed or hurt, that just refuse to break that are penalized or disqualified but constantly clinching is just as bad.

I never bought this walk through punches phrase, and I mean that for all fighters. You get hit clean, you get hit. It will get your attention. I find it hard to believe a guy that got KOd by Pat Lawlor has some kind of superman chin to just walk in and completly ignore Floyd hitting him flush. Everyone knows Floyd has literally shut down his offense for at least 10 years now. And still has an over 50% KO ratio. Duran was no God. Any good "boxer" he fought, he lost to.
He shut down his offense and hasn't KO'd anyone. Victor Ortiz and Hatton in the last 10 years? His KO's came earlier in his career when he fought differently.

So, you're saying weight had to do with the 2nd round lights out KO?
Size certainly played a role. Duran was a LW while Hearns was large even by JMW standards. I'm surprised you're even asking that question. Are you trying to imply that simply what they weighed in at equates to their size or natural weight class?

Maybe you're also picking a bit with your heart although you do make some valid points? I don't excuse all of Duran's losses because he was out of shape, some yes, but he also not only fought bigger men but all time greats in their primes.

You seem to be pretty consistent in not taking size differences into account so that's just something we differ in but Duran taking on Hagler would be pretty similar to Floyd facing GGG. Can you really equate that loss as a knock on Duran's career or abilities in his prime or was it a moral victory that adds to his legacy by making it a competetive fight?

I think they both had the type of style that would give each other problems but at 135/140 pounds and in their primes I'd have to go with Duran. I just can't see him losing the rounds anytime Floyd fought against the ropes.

Maybe he would be able to keep the fight in the center of the ring enough to win with his counterpunching but I just don't see that happening.
I didn't mention Hagler or size.

floyd dominated when he moved up in weight. Duran did not.

Duran was fairly consistent in his weaknesses. Floyd really was not.

People will say "Oh Seano, you're picking Duran at his worst! Did you see the Castillo fight or that fight when Floyd was almost 40???!?!?"

Floyd made elite level fighters look the same. Take two very different guys like say Mosley and Marquez and they both look exactly the same after 3 or 4 rounds with Floyd.

Look at how sharp and slick Floyd was around the time he fought Baldomir or Gatti. How in the world does any version of Duran beat that guy? You look at Duran anytime he fought a good slick fighter, even when he fought Dejesus at LW, and he had a hard time. In fact, take a look at the first Dejesus fight and the Benitez fight. Lead right hands, jabs, clinching to stall Duran- I mean, thats Floyd.

What did Duran do that we've seen Floyd struggle with? Most people would say the best version of Duran was probably the guy who showed up the first time he fought Leonard. Would Floyd fight in the trenches against Duran like that? Or would he box like Benitez or Ray in the rematch?

Duran was able to beat guys like Barkley and be competitive with Hagler because those guys weren't slick. They came right at you.

Size certainly played a role. Duran was a LW while Hearns was large even by JMW standards. I'm surprised you're even asking that question. Are you trying to imply that simply what they weighed in at equates to their size or natural weight class?
Yet he beat Barkley over 12.
Floyd was outsized multiple times in his career. It didn't matter because he had the skills.

Hearns was just a better fighter than Duran.

So you think Floyd would fight in a phone booth like Leonard did v Duran?

Every time this thread comes up, people imagine Floyd in the sort of fight he was never in and suddenly envision Duran solving all the problems he had with a good slick boxer, or they pick the worst version of Floyd we ever saw against the best version of Duran.

Prime for prime, the best version of Floyd, around the time he stepped up to WW wouldn't even lose a round.

He'd be chewing bubblegum at the same time too. Floyd kicks ass and takes 0's. Nonbelievers need to get with the program. #TBE

I didn't mention Hagler or size.

floyd dominated when he moved up in weight. Duran did not.

Duran was fairly consistent in his weaknesses. Floyd really was not.

People will say "Oh Seano, you're picking Duran at his worst! Did you see the Castillo fight or that fight when Floyd was almost 40???!?!?"

Floyd made elite level fighters look the same. Take two very different guys like say Mosley and Marquez and they both look exactly the same after 3 or 4 rounds with Floyd.

Look at how sharp and slick Floyd was around the time he fought Baldomir or Gatti. How in the world does any version of Duran beat that guy? You look at Duran anytime he fought a good slick fighter, even when he fought Dejesus at LW, and he had a hard time. In fact, take a look at the first Dejesus fight and the Benitez fight. Lead right hands, jabs, clinching to stall Duran- I mean, thats Floyd.

What did Duran do that we've seen Floyd struggle with? Most people would say the best version of Duran was probably the guy who showed up the first time he fought Leonard. Would Floyd fight in the trenches against Duran like that? Or would he box like Benitez or Ray in the rematch?

Duran was able to beat guys like Barkley and be competitive with Hagler because those guys weren't slick. They came right at you.
I'm not completely disagreeing with you, you do make some good points, and I don't think either fighter wins easily.

Floyd moved up and dominated what larger men that were in their prime and can be considered great? Most of his big names are guys moving up from FW or LW, Hatton was a JWW, Mosley and DLH were pretty far past it.

It's not the same quality of opposition or moving up as much in weight compared to the Fab Four of Leonard, Hearns, Benitez and Hagler. He did take a big challenge against Canelo but he had the advantage stylewise. Cotto was a guy maybe bigger and great and that was a close fight.

We all have our opinions so that's ok but I do think Duran is a fighter you poo poo on maybe more than he deserves.

Yet he beat Barkley over 12.
Floyd was outsized multiple times in his career. It didn't matter because he had the skills.

Hearns was just a better fighter than Duran.
In what fights was he outsized in, so we can compare them to the guys Duran fought? I have a real disconnect with you here but maybe I'm missing something.

Difference in size, eventhough they weighed in at the same weight class so I don't really see how that would be an argument in the first place however a second round go to sleep knockout is hardly enough time for weight to have made a difference. It's not like Hearns wore him down, due to the size difference... he straight knocked Duran out cold with one punch in the 2nd round.

He shut down his offense and hasn't KO'd anyone. Victor Ortiz and Hatton in the last 10 years? His KO's came earlier in his career when he fought differently.
Duran aint walking through punches...hes not superman. Never was.

Difference in size, eventhough they weighed in at the same weight class so I don't really see how that would be an argument in the first place however a second round go to sleep knockout is hardly enough time for weight to have made a difference. It's not like Hearns wore him down, due to the size difference... he straight knocked Duran out cold with one punch in the 2nd round.
Height and reach make it easier to land from distance and weight increases your punching power.

In what fights was he outsized in, so we can compare them to the guys Duran fought? I have a real disconnect with you here but maybe I'm missing something.
Canelo, DLH and Ortiz all had size on him. so did Corrales when they fought.

I don't think Floyd has enough power to get Durans attention and keep him at bay. I think Duran walks through Floyds punches. Duran was teak tough. That's how I think he deals with the offence of Floyd, he just ignores it. I think choice of ref really plays an important factor in a matchup though. If a ref just lets Floyd clinch up and breaks them like he did with the Hatton fight then that would really hamper Duran. Will Floyd be allowed to get away with his holding tactics that's a pertinent question.
TKTtqMR.jpg

Back