Prime (in shape) Duran vs prime "Money" Floyd

TKTtqMR.jpg
IS that Jimmy Buffet?

Canelo, DLH and Ortiz all had size on him. so did Corrales when they fought.
Canelo is the one fight that stands out for me. Oscar was pretty far past his prime. Ortiz is a club fighter compared to the rest of them. Corrales was a great performance but he's a poor man's version of Hearns. He might have had the power but nowhere near the skill level.

Canelo is the one fight that stands out for me. Oscar was pretty far past his prime. Ortiz is a club fighter compared to the rest of them. Corrales was a great performance but he's a poor man's version of Hearns. He might have had the power but nowhere near the skill level.
Stop it!
Sure it wasn't "2002 vs Mosley" Oscar; but He was still the #1 JMW in the World when they fought. Stop using hindsight to judge what he was. That was a pick 'em fight through and through.
Ortiz had just won a war with Berto and was th WBC Champ from that Berto fight, FOTY and folks were saying his grittyness would be a problm for Floyd. Another hindsight judgement.
Corrales was a freaking destroyer in his division, until Floyd came UP to the weight for the first time and put on a clinic. Dude was just that good... Comparing a "poorman's Hearns" that got whooped, to the real Hearns that obliterated Duran doesn't really make much sense, by the way.

Point is, Duran didn't do anything that Floyd couldn't handle. I say this because Floyd has handled EVERYTHING. Duran on the other hand LOST when faced with adversty and a slick boxer, everytime... You guys love you some Duran and that's all good. But Floyd aint that guy.

There's a couple more guys I'd pick over Duran at WW (Hearns and SRL excluded).

Drop Duran in the Mosley vs De La Hoya 1 fight and let him take either guys spot and he loses no matter which corner he decides to fight from.

Before anyone responds to this, watch that fight if you haven't. One of the best pure Prime vs Prime fights ever.

Stop it!
Sure it wasn't "2002 vs Mosley" Oscar; but He was still the #1 JMW in the World when they fought. Stop using hindsight to judge what he was. That was a pick 'em fight through and through.
Ortiz had just won a war with Berto and was th WBC Champ from that Berto fight, FOTY and folks were saying his grittyness would be a problm for Floyd. Another hindsight judgement.
Corrales was a freaking destroyer in his division, until Floyd came UP to the weight for the first time and put on a clinic. Dude was just that good... Comparing a "poorman's Hearns" that got whooped, to the real Hearns that obliterated Duran doesn't really make much sense, by the way.

Point is, Duran didn't do anything that Floyd couldn't handle. I say this because Floyd has handled EVERYTHING. Duran on the other hand LOST when faced with adversty and a slick boxer, everytime... You guys love you some Duran and that's all good. But Floyd aint that guy.
Oscar turned pro at 130, probably cutting more weight than Floyd but same weight class, and fought up to MW where he was a bit undersized. His peak was at 140. Yes he's a bit bigger than Floyd, and they had a good fight, but faded down the stretch more than he would have in his prime. Didn't fight long after did he?

Ortiz is in no way shape or form a great fighter. He took Berto's "money" shot by surprising him in an upset. The guy is a quitter.

Corrales and Floyd were both JLWs, the #1 and #2, in a highly anticipated "pick 'em" fight. Corrales fought a stupid fight and got stopped. In hindsight he was a big puncher and not a good boxer.

How this fight equates to Duran vs Hearns I don't know. Sure he had the height and reach but not the skill and the natural weight difference wasn't as much either. Duran was a LW while Hearns cut a lot to make WW. He was probably at his best at JMW.

The point is we're expressing opinions but you're acting like a bull in a china shop telling me the way things really are.

There's a couple more guys I'd pick over Duran at WW (Hearns and SRL excluded).

Drop Duran in the Mosley vs De La Hoya 1 fight and let him take either guys spot and he loses no matter which corner he decides to fight from.

Before anyone responds to this, watch that fight if you haven't. One of the best pure Prime vs Prime fights ever.
How about we drop Duran into a LW prime vs prime fight?

How about we drop Duran into a LW prime vs prime fight?
I don't really think 135 was peak Mayweather. Its a different fight because Floyd was more aggressive at the lower weights, a better puncher.

Corrales and Floyd were both JLWs, the #1 and #2, in a highly anticipated "pick 'em" fight. Corrales fought a stupid fight and got stopped. In hindsight he was a big puncher and not a good boxer.
Whoa whoa whoa hold on...You're whole post is fine, I accept 90% of it. Except for this...
How did Corrales fight a stupid fight?
What could he have done different that would've changed the outcome from a complete washout embarrassing domination?

Both at their best, at 135, Duran breaks Floyd who is very hittable to the body.

I don't really think 135 was peak Mayweather. Its a different fight because Floyd was more aggressive at the lower weights, a better puncher.
I agree, I worded that poorly. I meant Duran should be fighting LWs not WWs. Now that I think about it though both those guys fought at LW. Oscar was probably still not at his best but Mosley vs Duran would be a great fantasy matchup at that weight.

Whoa whoa whoa hold on...You're whole post is fine, I accept 90% of it. Except for this...
How did Corrales fight a stupid fight?
What could he have done different that would've changed the outcome from a complete washout embarrassing domination?
Hmmm, how about using angles? Using his height and reach? Feignting?

Let's say that's performance was just as good as he could be. Was Hearns any better?

Last edited:
Prime Duran at 135 beats FMJ. Prime Aaron Pryor at 140 tears FMJ's ass up as well. PRIME Vernon Forrest beats FMJ at 154 and obviously, SRL and Tommy Hearns both beat FMJ at 147. I like Floyd... but he's NOT the GOAT. Not even close.

Was Duran quick enough to score on Floyd more the Floyd scored on Duran? Idk, I'd like to think so because I liked Duran and never liked PBF, but I don't think it's the case.

Hmmm, how about using angles? Using his height and reach? Feignting?

Let's say that's performance was just as good as he could be. Was Hearns any better?
Hmm, I think that fight was more a matter of Corrales being more athletically challenged than we first thought. Floyd was too on point for anything to change. Corrales got rolled by a freight train. Im still not getting the Hearns comparison.

Hmm, I think that fight was more a matter of Corrales being more athletically challenged than we first thought. Floyd was too on point for anything to change. Corrales got rolled by a freight train. Im still not getting the Hearns comparison.
Physical attributes, size and punching power.

Ok, fair enough. So are we implying Flotd wouldve handled Hitman Hearns?
I don't think he would. I'm implying fighting Corrales isn't as difficult as fighting Hearns. Does Floyd also get KO'd fighting Tommy at 154 pounds?

The fight would end up inside, and Duran is better there.

Duran beat better fighters than Floyd.

Floyd struggled with lesser fighters than Duran.

I'd favor Floyd 7-8 from 10. As mentioned earlier, styles make fights. Nobody is saying Floyd is walking through either, it'll be tough.

I think probably Duran would win. He was a head-hunter and if he could defeat Sugar Ray Leonard then that translates nicely to defeating Mayweather. Duran by decision, he would land more power shots and that would give him the win. But it would depend on the judges, some don't reward power-shots, and Mayweather "playing tag" to build up points with soft punches could trick some judges...

Back