Pressure Points

And while we're at it, there are craploads of take-downs used by BJJ practitioners that don't expose the back of the head or neck in any meaningful way. Many of those takedowns also exist in Judo or some form of wrestling.

And while we're at it, there are craploads of take-downs used by BJJ practitioners that don't expose the back of the head or neck in any meaningful way. Many of those takedowns also exist in Judo or some form of wrestling.

I wouldn't waste your time with philong Pitt. He is just interested in being "right" and will use his strawman arguement to make himself feel better.

>>Most BJJ practitioners go for the takedown at all costs and expose the back of their head

Do you mean during a single or double leg takedown? If you're exposing the back of your head cleanly enough that someone could hit it, your singles or doubles suck, and you're probably vulnerable to being guillotined too.

As far as MT guys kicking for pressure points, I was under the impression that leg kicks, aside from scoring points, make your opponent's leg tired/slower just from the trauma of being kicked repeatedly. If you keep kicking someones leg, they have less ability to kick you. I'm not really catching the pressure point connection. I've seen the MT guys at my gym (I don't train MT, for now) come back with huge nasty knots and bruises on their thighs from leg kicks. That's not pressure point fighting, that's a good old fashioned beat-down.

I'd also really like to see a blackout caused solely by a pressure point strike, that couldn't be explained by blunt trauma to some vital organ. The only guy I know who regularly makes claims about being able to do that and demo it, is George Dillman, and he is completely full of shit.

Yes. I was referring to leg takedown attempts, my bad for not qualifying that. If by sucking you mean the person is vulnerable then 90% of the guys I see on UFC fights must "suck" then.
Muay Thai- where exactly are you aiming at on leg kicks? Just above the knee - Cutaneous Patellar nerve center (and the Femoral Artery on the inside leg). Check it out, it's biology 101. Some of the kicks are aimed for the upper thigh close to the hip joint- Intercostal Cataneous nerve center. Again, feel free to check it out. Watch the fighters during matches and you willnotice that the ones who damage their oponents legs drastically during a fight are hitting these nerve centers. Just because a person doesn't realize they are using pressure points doesn't negate them.
The pressure pointy at the base of the ear will cause a KO as will the one at the connection of the jaw, boxers use them all the time. A strike to one of the pressure points at the base of the skull will cause a KO or death. Biological fact.
You seem to be confusing pressure points with some form of "dim mak" or the BS being purported by Dillman. I don't have any experience with eiother so I can't comment on them.

Pressure point's = small % to work on real condition's = Hard to aim in resisting opponent = deferent bodytypes make aiming even more dificult = almost no way to practise it in Sparring = Crap

the only time i've seen effective use of pressure points is during control carry tactics for police, not in fighting, except maybe kung-fu movies.....is that what you meant by studying these since the eighties? you just watched a bunch of dim mak movies or something?

Tiger claw to the upper rigt pec ftw.

Not all UFC guys are super proficient in BJJ, so I'm not sure I'd take them as exemplars of proper technique. Watch the guys who are really good grapplers--when they shoot, they drop their level and shoot straight in, not bent over--shooting in bent over is a noob move (which I still do sometimes--I'm working on it, though!). When you do that, you're vulnerable to a lot of stuff, and not just back of the head strikes(sprawls, anaconda chokes, and guillotines all come to mind).

You say the MT guys are nerve striking, my eyes, and guys who've gotten repeatedly leg-kicked tell me differently. I can't really argue from the perspective of a MT fighter though, so I'll leave that one alone.

Pressure point's = small % to work on real condition's = Hard to aim in resisting opponent = deferent bodytypes make aiming even more dificult = almost no way to practise it in Sparring = Crap

I take it that you've never watched a Muay Thai fight then since all the good fighters I've watched aim for the nerve centers I mentioned earlier. Or do you not consider a fight in the ring "real conditions" since it's governed by a set of rules and a ref?
Or a boxing match for that matter.

Well, I read about three lines of your post and quit, but I do have something to add. A bunch of the new guys love to do the 'ol elbows to the inside of the legs. I've got knots on the inside of my knees now that burn like fire when I touch them. The one on my left leg hurts like hell. Anyway, I've still never tapped to a pressure point and I can't think of a time that I've given up position because of one, but they do hurt like hell.

philong, i see you are from maryland. do everyone a favor, go off and train with sensei al, leaving the rest of us to discuss grappling and the actual applications of said art.

I take it that you've never watched a Muay Thai fight then since all the good fighters I've watched aim for the nerve centers I mentioned earlier. Or do you not consider a fight in the ring "real conditions" since it's governed by a set of rules and a ref?
Or a boxing match for that matter.

There is a big deference in the way that "pressure points" are being critisized and in the way you describe it... There are plenty of sensitive parts in the Human body for example as you stated the testicals, are in boxing a good punch to the chin, are a good Liver shot, or a punch to the solar plexus, or the throat. Any decent stricker would probably aim for the chin, liver, solar plexus or try hurting the opponent with low kicks in deferent parts of the opponents legs. All these is something that most i believe agree with you. My self included...
But when "critisizing Pressurepoint's hit's", it usually has less to do with this areas... you see most of the so-called pressure point masters, ussualy advertise themselves that they hit specific small parts in body with paralyzing effect, or that they can couse internal damages, KO someone while barely touching them, or even couse death-(the death touch hahahahahah), some even say they can do this without touching someone... It's pretty funny just to talk about it. Check out this idiot for example:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ar1yXYOsxQk&mode=related&search=

or this one

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=P6CPTb5qMkE&feature=related

So ussually when im talking about "CRAP" and pressure point Crap this is what im talking about.... Pressure point in my point of you are Nidle point's in the Human body not as big as the "Balls" and not as big as the throat. A pressure point acording to the McDojo people is considered a nerve strike that is the explanation given... When you hit the balls is not "a" pressure point hit, since if you just hit someone in the balls you hit a MASS of Nerves and orgnans of the body at the same time it is considered by most people a hit in a sensitive area NOT a pressure point. So it's not about if pressure points or pressure points arts work, it's about in your mentality "What is a pressure point acording to your way of thinking". Someone could say "Hey every strike is a pressure point since Nerves cover the entire body"... Sorry but this ain't the case... When talking about pressure point crap ussually the above videos are what people are laughing about and Not Muay Thai kick's or Boxing strikes.

To the thread starer :

how would u know what an eye gouge feel like if u don t even have an eye ?

I see a lot of misinformed people in here disparaging "pressure points" and equating "dim mak" with them. I often wonder why people on the internet fel the need to post their opinion when they have no knowledge of a topic.
Pressure points are verifiable biological facts. Your testicles are a "pressure point", anyone care to let be kick them in their testicles to prove that "pressure points" don't work???
The following is a partial list of "pressure points"-
Solar plexus
Kidneys
Liver
Groin
Spleen
Abdomen (several "points", why do you think that during a fight if a low blow occurs the fight is stopped to allow recovery)
Throat
Eyes
Base of the skull
Spine
Temple

The list goes on and on.....
What do you think fighters are aiming for when striking the "body"? They are aiming for "pressure points". In another thread one of the pro fighters here stated that he would rather take a kick to the groin that a strike to the liver, having hadboth done to me I would agree.
What do you think fighters are kicking at when they do leg kicks? You have 3 places on your thighs where nerve centers come right up to the skin, not to mention the Femoral Artery accompanies one of them.
I don't know what you people think an eye gouge is but I've seen some completely dumbass responses on here regarding them. One moron claimed he would "shut his eyes". LOL That would do nothing, the concussive force would still damage your eyes and the pain is excruciating (lost an eye in '06, I know). An eye gouge is when someone attempts to impale their fingers 3" inside your eye socket.
There are literally hundreds of pressure points on your body, just because you don't comprehend them or how to attack them doesn't mean that they don't exist.
For all of you who want to deny the validity of "pressure points" I will gladly videotape me kicking you in the testicles and posting it on sherdog showing that you are correct and that "pressure points" don't work. IF any of you are willing to volunteer to prove it that is.

I had an pressure point expert doing that stuff on me. I was not resisting he just showed me a few points. I did not feel dizzy or get K.O.ed. Some points are more painful like you hit the small bone at the inside of the elbow. But nothing that really put me out.

lol all such bullshit to be able to hit or grab certain target when someones resisting good luck

MTG-ThreadNecromancer_3198.jpg

Do people really not know about the vagus nerve (under the nose)? Thats like, one of the most common methods of knocking people out in boxing (or mma).

Do people really not know about the vagus nerve (under the nose)? Thats like, one of the most common methods of knocking people out in boxing (or mma).

Under the nose you say?
vagus-nerve.jpg

accessory-nerve-diagram.jpg

olfactory-nerve-5-638.jpg

I get the black theme with necro, but I still think it should be 1 blue, 1 colorless, so it fits in a lockdown deck.
or have 4 of this in a deck and 4 of a blue black version with the same effect for OPness

Back