Pressure Points

Actually I've been training using pressure points since the early 1980's.
It would appear that you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
Care to enlighten us on your "expertise" in this area?

Edit- I take that you would be willing to let me kick you in your testicles so you can prove that pressure points don't work??? I'm in MD, you're in VA and I have a video camera so we can post the results up for everyone to see.

Your challenge says it all about pressure point training. You're opponent must ALLOW you to strike or pinch them in the appropriate place. Instead, challenge him to a fight and try the pressure points.

Sounds like we need to distinguish between different types of pain:

Pressure Points
Soft/Weak parts of the bodily
Frailty of bones
Lack of mobility in joints
et cetera

And another thing, You had to train to learn that kickin the groin works?

Typical internet wannabe, lacking the courage to back up his mouth and hiding behind a keyboard.
www.neuticles.com/index1.html
just in case you need 'em.

Hahahaha, I like how you call me the little boy but you are sooooo butt hurt about this that you are throwing a tantrum and challenging ppl to a fight over the internet. Who is the childish one?

Sounds like we need to distinguish between different types of pain:

Pressure Points
Soft/Weak parts of the bodily
Frailty of bones
Lack of mobility in joints
et cetera

Well, the basis of what most people consider pressure points are where there are masses of nerves. Pain is your body telling you that it is being damaged. You get this information from nerves, so if you disrupt a lot of nerves at one time, potentially massed at a single location, it will send a big message of pain to you. There are of course other points in the body that can affect a person but not be pain related. The main one in BJJ is the carotid artery. When we apply pressure on the artery via chokes our brains think the blood pressure is too high and lowers it. So its not like stepping on a hose and the water keeps on coming but its blocked. But rather stepping on a hose and the faucet shuts itself off because it feels its building up too much pressure.

Wow, this escalated quickly. I Googled pressure points and found this article, which looks like it goes into detail on the subject and misconceptions on what they are and aren't. It's kind of long, so I only skimmed through it.
http://www.fightingarts.com/reading/article.php?id=423

That being said, I don't think kicking someone in the nuts means there necessarily is a pressure point located there. All you're doing is striking a person's reproductive organs with brute force..I wouldn't say that proves anything.

What irritated Philong was the "roll with JJJ practitioner" thread. Several people, including me, disparaged JJJ habits of gouging deadly pressure points during rolling.

There are certainly vulnerable points on the human body. Philong, if you want to lump the testicles, and kidneys into that, and confirm the obvious, that getting hit in those places hurts, then you win. Pressure points work. I concede the point--getting kicked in the balls hurts. You may commence calling me a little boy.

I'll qualify that concession with this though: testicle kicks, eye gouges and many small joint manipulations (although they do work if you catch them) are low percentage in actual fights. All humans, not just trained fighters, are aware that those points are vulnerable. If you do a football punt style kick even vaguely towards the centerline of an untrained man, he will instinctively put his legs together and turn away to protect his "boys". Similarly, most people, fighters or not, protect their eyes. You can't count on some of the moves that are supposedly t3h d34dl33 in TMAs to end real fight.

However, most of us think of pressure points another way: vulnerable points on the human body attacked with pressure or light striking. One, as mentioned previously, is just beneath the bridge of the nose, another behind the ear, there are certainly more. Those areas hurt when you apply pressure--no doubt. I don't think any of those "kinds" of pressure points produce enough pain to make anyone trained drop a submission or choke.

Lastly--not all TMAs or TMA practitioners suck. There are certainly TMAs that produce good fighters, and TMA schools that train hard, with resistance. No martial art, whether BJJ, JJJ or whatever has a lock on all aspects of combat.

If i punch somone in the back of the head it is not me hitting a pressure point, it is me damaging their spinal cord in the most vunerable spot on their back...

Common conception of pressure points: I pinch a nerve in the neck and you fall down in pain. There are places in the chest i can strategically hit to bring my opponent to the ground.

THE FACT IS. A PUNCH IS A PUNCH, A KICK IS A KICK, IF IT IS IN A VUNERABLE SPOT, IE: GROIN, EYES, NECK, THROAT, IT IS NOT A PRESSURE POINT, IT IS A VUNERABLE SPOT OF THE BODY.

What irritated Philong was the "roll with JJJ practitioner" thread. Several people, including me, disparaged JJJ habits of gouging deadly pressure points during rolling.

There are certainly vulnerable points on the human body. Philong, if you want to lump the testicles, and kidneys into that, and confirm the obvious, that getting hit in those places hurts, then you win. Pressure points work. I concede the point--getting kicked in the balls hurts. You may commence calling me a little boy.

I'll qualify that concession with this though: testicle kicks, eye gouges and many small joint manipulations (although they do work if you catch them) are low percentage in actual fights. All humans, not just trained fighters, are aware that those points are vulnerable. If you do a football punt style kick even vaguely towards the centerline of an untrained man, he will instinctively put his legs together and turn away to protect his "boys". Similarly, most people, fighters or not, protect their eyes. You can't count on some of the moves that are supposedly t3h d34dl33 in TMAs to end real fight.

However, most of us think of pressure points another way: vulnerable points on the human body attacked with pressure or light striking. One, as mentioned previously, is just beneath the bridge of the nose, another behind the ear, there are certainly more. Those areas hurt when you apply pressure--no doubt. I don't think any of those "kinds" of pressure points produce enough pain to make anyone trained drop a submission or choke.

Lastly--not all TMAs or TMA practitioners suck. There are certainly TMAs that produce good fighters, and TMA schools that train hard, with resistance. No martial art, whether BJJ, JJJ or whatever has a lock on all aspects of combat.

Great post.

You must learn from the best instructors in all of Pittsburgh or something.

You know all of my instructors, Balto: Bobby Palumbi, Jimmy Cerra, Phil Farabaugh, Rick Brown. I certainly think well of all of them.

I think you and I have met btw, at the Phil Migliarese seminar.

you needed to pay an instructor for 29 years to realize that getting kicked in the balls hurt? dam... oh well

I see a lot of misinformed people in here disparaging "pressure points" and equating "dim mak" with them. I often wonder why people on the internet fel the need to post their opinion when they have no knowledge of a topic.
Pressure points are verifiable biological facts. Your testicles are a "pressure point", anyone care to let be kick them in their testicles to prove that "pressure points" don't work???
The following is a partial list of "pressure points"-
Solar plexus
Kidneys
Liver
Groin
Spleen
Abdomen (several "points", why do you think that during a fight if a low blow occurs the fight is stopped to allow recovery)
Throat
Eyes
Base of the skull
Spine
Temple

The list goes on and on.....
What do you think fighters are aiming for when striking the "body"? They are aiming for "pressure points". In another thread one of the pro fighters here stated that he would rather take a kick to the groin that a strike to the liver, having hadboth done to me I would agree.
What do you think fighters are kicking at when they do leg kicks? You have 3 places on your thighs where nerve centers come right up to the skin, not to mention the Femoral Artery accompanies one of them.
I don't know what you people think an eye gouge is but I've seen some completely dumbass responses on here regarding them. One moron claimed he would "shut his eyes". LOL That would do nothing, the concussive force would still damage your eyes and the pain is excruciating (lost an eye in '06, I know). An eye gouge is when someone attempts to impale their fingers 3" inside your eye socket.
There are literally hundreds of pressure points on your body, just because you don't comprehend them or how to attack them doesn't mean that they don't exist.
For all of you who want to deny the validity of "pressure points" I will gladly videotape me kicking you in the testicles and posting it on sherdog showing that you are correct and that "pressure points" don't work. IF any of you are willing to volunteer to prove it that is.

I think you are either a troll or totally clueless about any fighting. Just leave Sherdog and go do your katas.

You know all of my instructors, Balto: Bobby Palumbi, Jimmy Cerra, Phil Farabaugh, Rick Brown. I certainly think well of all of them.

I think you and I have met btw, at the Phil Migliarese seminar.

Yes, I know all of them quite well.

I think I will be up in Pittsburgh the weekend before Christmas, so hopefully I'll get a chance to come by and train again.

Actually I've been training using pressure points since the early 1980's.
It would appear that you have no idea what the fuck you are talking about.
Care to enlighten us on your "expertise" in this area?

Edit- I take that you would be willing to let me kick you in your testicles so you can prove that pressure points don't work??? I'm in MD, you're in VA and I have a video camera so we can post the results up for everyone to see.

LMAO!!!!! this is going in my sig!!

Here you go children, pressure points 101.
It is hard to have a rational discussion when the uneducated masses (that would be 99% of you) have absolutely no clue what the topic is even about. That is the problem with you internet "experts", you are always willing to give your "expert opinion" on a topic of which you are clueless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_points
At the bottom of the page there is a link to pressure point charts (I know nothing of the website it links to or to the effecacy of that particualr style) and you will be pleased to note that there are indeed pressure points CV1 / CV2 in the groin area (DUH) & GV15 / GV16 at the base of the skull / spinal column. In case you missed it that is what I was telling you to begin with but all you "internet experts" were trying to disagree with. Perhaps instead of babbling off randomly it would help if you actually knew something about the topic first.
Just because you are ignorant of techniques and are too incompetent to implement them does not mean that they don't exist.

Here you go children, pressure points 101.
It is hard to have a rational discussion when the uneducated masses (that would be 99% of you) have absolutely no clue what the topic is even about. That is the problem with you internet "experts", you are always willing to give your "expert opinion" on a topic of which you are clueless.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Pressure_points
At the bottom of the page there is a link to pressure point charts (I know nothing of the website it links to or to the effecacy of that particualr style) and you will be pleased to note that there are indeed pressure points CV1 / CV2 in the groin area (DUH) & GV15 / GV16 at the base of the skull / spinal column. In case you missed it that is what I was telling you to begin with but all you "internet experts" were trying to disagree with. Perhaps instead of babbling off randomly it would help if you actually knew something about the topic first.
Just because you are ignorant of techniques and are too incompetent to implement them does not mean that they don't exist.

No you weren't, you were saying that kicking someone in the nuts was a pressure point. If you had said grabbing/pinching this area in the groin was a pressure point I wouldn't have argued. Called you gay maybe, but wouldn't have argued. Same with the base of the skull. As a matter of fact I mentioned in my second post that there is a pressure point behind the ear at the base of the skull.

See you were saying using kicks to groin and punches to the base of the skull. Any 5 year old knows those hurt, but if you would have said, pressing these points blah blah blah you wouldn't have looked like such a douche.

What got me going was the ignorant keyboard warriors whose "expertise" consists of watching TUF spouting off on the worthlessnes of a tactic which they have no clue about.
Pressure pints are, as you noted, a FACT. Plain and simple biological fact. If some of the morons here would try actually training instead of pretending they are something on the internet then their opinion might carry a little weight.

What got me going was the ignorant keyboard warriors whose "expertise" consists of watching TUF spouting off on the worthlessnes of a tactic which they have no clue about.
Pressure pints are, as you noted, a FACT. Plain and simple biological fact. If some of the morons here would try actually training instead of pretending they are something on the internet then their opinion might carry a little weight.

Yes, I love pressure pints to.

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Rank Wang
Back