Pre-fight Discussion UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2 Sat. March 9 Prelims 6pm ET ESPN+, Main 10pm ET PPV

Planning to watch

• All of it

Votes: 31 70.5%
  • Most of it

Votes: 10 22.7%
  • Some of it

Votes: 3 6.8%

• Total voters
Some people are calling this the card of the year. There are ex-champions fighting in the pre-lims of 300. Imo, it’s easily 300, but whatever.

Michel does have a nice win streak going. But he halted the hype temporarily by missing weight for the WB fight. Forced to move up to MW where is only ranked number 22 by Tap.

He is the featured Early Pre-lim of a stacked card. He could have done much worse. And he dropped a coach from his corner for this fight. So that he can have some guy dance out with him. I don’t remember Izzy cutting corner members so he could have dancers with him.

Every fighter on the pre-lims is ranked in the top 10.. Except RDA at 11.

Which one of those fights do you put on the Early Pre-lims so that two guys ranked 22, and 31 can take their place? And no.. The wmma fight is not an appropriate answer.

I don’t have a problem with his placement. And he’s been one of my current favs since he came to the UFC. But he doesn’t have the same crazy acrobatic style that made him must see for his first 4, or 5 UFC fights.

He hasn’t done any of that stuff for 4 fights in a row. Still winning, which I’m happy about. But he’s not “the most entertaining fighter in the UFC anymore, imo”. Because he was “the most entertaining fighter I’ve ever seen in mma”. I couldn’t believe what I was watching those first few UFC fights.
I don't think he's the featured early prelim. Or at least he wasn't when I made my comment.

It's not a big deal either way. I thought he should be getting a bigger opportunity after beating Petroski but I guess not. Maybe with 7 in a row he will.

He's still entertaining though. Coming off POTN and FOTN bonuses. But yeah, the backflips were probably a step too far for the higher quality opponents he's been facing.

I look forward to watching him early in the night of 299.

Merab is gonna weigh in for the ME on Saturday. Imagine the terror in O'Malley's heart, has to be praying that Chito stays healthy.
I like chito but am praying that he drops out so merab can maul O'Malley in his pink shorts
Watching some more stuff on Blaydes, and it's honestly fucked up how many people talk shit about his stutter. He seems like such a nice dude.
he's remarkably soft spoken and knowledgeable in interviews too

This Saturday it's a phenomenal card UFC 299: O'Malley vs. Vera 2 live from Miami, Florida USA. Hoping you'll join us all week long as we discuss the fights, share predictions and engage in civil pre-fight banter. Which fights do you anticipate? For moi it's all of them. Care to share breakdowns or predictions? Are you attending the event? The floor is yours!

UFC 299

Main Card PPV 10:00 PM ET BUY PPV
Prelims ESPNN/ESPN+8:00 PM ET
Early Prelims ESPN+6:00 PM ET

Saturday 03.09.2024 at 06:00 PM ET
U.S. Broadcast: Pay Per View | Prelims: ESPN
Promotion: Ultimate Fighting Championship
Ownership: Endeavor
Venue: Kaseya Center
Enclosure: Octagon
MMA Bouts: 14

Main Card 10pm ET PPV
Bantamweight - Main Event - Title Fight Sean O'Malley 17-1-0 vs. Marlon Vera 21-8-1
Dustin Poirier 29-8-0 vs. Benoit Saint Denis 13-1-0
Kevin Holland 25-10-0 vs. Michael Page 21-2-0
Gilbert Burns 22-6-0 vs. Jack Della Maddalena 16-2-
Petr Yan 16-5-0 vs. Song Yadong 21-7-1
Prelims 8pm ET ESPN/ESPN+
Curtis Blaydes 17-4-0 vs. Jailton Almeida 20-2-0
Katlyn Cerminara 18-5-0 vs. Maycee Barber 13-2-0
Mateusz Gamrot 23-2-0 vs. Rafael Dos Anjos 32-15-0
Early Prelims 6pm ET ESPN+ 6pm ET
Michel Pereira 29-11-0 vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk 19-6-0
Pedro Munhoz 20-8-0 vs. Kyler Phillips 11-2-0
Josh Parisian 15-7-0 vs. CJ Vergara 12-4-1
Assu Almabayev 18-2-0 vs. Robelis Despaigne 4-0-0
Joanne Wood 16-8-0 vs. Maryna Moroz 11-5-0
Ion Cutelaba 17-9-1 vs. Philipe Lins 17-5-0

Here's the Shillan & Duffy preview, where the dynamic duo preview the massive UFC 299, with detailed predictions and picks for all 14 fights.

NOTE: Apologies for the jump in volume around the seven-minute mark. It goes away in just a minute or two.
0:00 Intro: We meet again, my nemesis
9:32 Joanne Wood (16-8) vs. Maryna Moroz (11-5)
18:50 C.J. Vergara (12-4-1) vs. Asu Almabaev (18-2)
25:41 Robelis Despaigne (4-0) vs. Josh Parisian (15-7)
36:10 Michel Pereira (29-11, 2 NC) vs. Michal Oleksiejczuk (19-6, 1 NC)
47:44 Ion Cutelaba (17-9-1, 1 NC) vs. Philipe Lins (17-5)
57:58 Pedro Munhoz (20-8, 2 NC) vs. Kyler Phillips (11-2)
1:05:37 Mateusz Gamrot (23-2, 1 NC) vs. Rafael dos Anjos (32-15)
1:16:00 Katlyn Cerminara (18-5) vs. Maycee Barber (13-2)
1:30:30 Curtis Blaydes (17-4, 1 NC) vs. Jailton Almeida (20-2)
1:48:02 Petr Yan (16-5) vs. Yadong Song (21-7-1)
2:00:38 Gilbert Burns (22-6) vs. Jack Della Maddalena (16-2)
2:16:05 Kevin Holland (25-10, 1 NC) vs. Michael Page (21-2)
2:36:02 Dustin Poirier (29-8, 1 NC) vs. Benoit St. Denis (13-1)
2:51:31 Sean O’Malley (17-1, 1 NC) vs. Marlon Vera (23-8-1)
3:06:14 A quick rundown of all the picks

Bonus. @Siver! posted this a few days ago and it's worth sharing here:
Clear your diaries for this Saturday, 6:00pm ET, because we've got a proper show and it's not even at the Apex!
UFC 299: O'Malley vs Vera II - the Kickening!
Poirier vs St Denis - Gods of War Edition!
Holland vs MVP - Welcome to the UFC, Kid!
Burns vs Maddalena - Get Herbert on standby to carry his bro out!
Yan vs Song - Russia vs China!
Blaydes vs Almeida - How good are ya, Jailton?!
and much, much more!
Sleeper fights include Michel Pereira vs Michal Oleks, Gamrot vs RDA, and Munhoz vs Kyler!
Robelis Despaigne also coming in hot to save the heavyweight division (maybe)!
You hyped?

Latest MMA News: https://www.sherdog.com/news/news/list
Check out the full fight card: https://www.sherdog.com/events/
Spotify: https://open.spotify.com/show/6oUPrfY...
Sherdog Podcasts: https://www.sherdog.com/tag/podcasts
Sherdog on Social Media: Follow on Twitter: / sherdogdotcom Like on Facebook: / officialsherdog Follow on Instagram: / official_sherdog #UFC299
Sherdog is the industry pioneer in UFC, Bellator and all things MMA (Mixed Martial Arts). MMA news, interviews, pictures, videos and more since 1997.
More on Sherdog.com: http://www.sherdog.com

CJ Vergara going up in weight to fight Parisian; very gutsy move

Preview: UFC 299 Prelims​

Blaydes vs. Almeida​

FacebookTwitterReddit0Email

TOM FEELY MAR 6, 2024 COMMENTS

The Ultimate Fighting Championship’s nine-bout undercard for UFC 299 looks absolutely stacked on Saturday at the Kaseya Center in Miami—to the point that it rivals or surpasses many of the UFC Fight Night shows the promotion has staged in recent memory. In fact, the featured prelim between Jailton Almeida and Curtis Blaydes was initially slated to headline a November card in Sao Paulo, Brazil. Fresh off beating late replacement Derrick Lewis, Almeida turns around to take on Blaydes in a rare battle of standout heavyweight wrestlers. Beyond that, Katlyn Cerminaratries to defend her flyweight ranking against surging prospect Maycee Barber, former lightweight champion Rafael dos Anjos returns to 155 pounds to face Mateusz Gamrot and Kyler Phillips attempts to break into the bantamweight Top 15 at the expense of Pedro Munhoz. More intrigue can be found further down the bill.Michel Pereira is always a fascinating fighter, Robelis Despaigne is shaping up to be a must-watch heavyweight prospect regardless of his success and even the opener comes with a built-in storyline, as Joanne Wood seeks to avenge an upset loss to Maryna Moroz nearly nine years after their initial encounter.

Now to the preview for the UFC 299 “O’Malley vs. Vera 2” prelims:

Heavyweights​

#5 HW | Curtis Blaydes (17-4, 12-4 UFC) vs. # 7 HW | Jailton Almeida (20-2, 6-0 UFC)

ODDS: Blaydes (-115), Almeida (-108)

It is finally time for Almeida’s big test. Almeida has a case as the heavyweight division’s hottest prospect, and it is fairly amusing that all of this is essentially one big lark. “Malhadinho” came to the UFC as a rising light heavyweight, only moving up to heavyweight when Parker Porter was the only man willing to step up and face him on short notice. The Brazilian’s game is fairly simple, hunting for takedowns and quick submissions, but nobody has been able to stop it yet; and once Almeida was able to prove he could push around a natural heavyweight like Porter, there was every reason for him to keep racking up wins while avoiding a weight cut. Shamil Abdurakhimov and Jairzinho Rozenstruik were each easy work, but a November main event against Derrick Lewis was the first time the Almeida hype train even slowed. It was still a clear one-sided victory for the Brazilian, but Lewis’ combination of size and strength forced Almeida to work 25 hard minutes to grind out a decision win. That makes for an interesting backdrop heading into this fight against Blaydes, the other clear standout wrestler in the UFC's heavyweight ranks.

Blaydes falls into a group of fighters that has been both highly successful and highly frustrating, as he has yet to put together the one strong performance that will get him into a title fight. Blaydes looked like a future champion going back to his UFC debut in 2016, when he was a betting favorite against Francis Ngannou. An absolutely massive human, Blaydes had—and still has—the ability to throw around almost every other heavyweight under the sun. However, after losing to Ngannou via doctor stoppage, Blaydes saw the need to improve his striking, which has gone both shockingly well and absolutely disastrous at times. In some of Blaydes’ outings, like his victories over Junior dos Santos and Chris Daukaus, those improvements are legitimately impressive. Blaydes is a well-schooled boxer who can piece up an opponent and score a knockout when he is not provided with much resistance, as he did not even need to pivot to his wrestling in either fight. Yet there are also performances where Blaydes seems to suffer for having all his newfound options, most notably in his losses to Lewis and Sergei Pavlovich. Blaydes was effectively mixing things together up until the point that Lewis timed a takedown attempt and knocked him out, while he simply took too long to feel things out on the feet against Pavlovich and got finished as a result. Even if Blaydes is still sometimes less than the sum of his parts—while still being a clear Top 5 heavyweight—this does look like his fight to lose, particularly after Almeida’s performance against Lewis. Blaydes figures to stay ahead of Almeida in the Brazilian’s preferred wrestling phase, and Almeida certainly does not appear to be the type of knockout threat that can catch the Elevation Fight Team rep off-guard, unless something goes terribly wrong. The pick is Blaydes via decision.

Jump To »
Blaydes vs. Almeida
Barber vs. Cerminara
Gamrot vs. dos Anjos
Phillips vs. Munhoz
Cutelaba vs. Lins
Pereira vs. Oleksiejczuk
Despaigne vs. Parisian
Almabaev vs. Vergara
Moroz vs. Wood

UFC 299 fighters will have less time than usual to check their weights in Miami, Fla., this weekend (Fri., March 8, 2024).

Typically, most commissions working under the unified rules of mixed martial arts (MMA) when UFC comes to town will allow for a two-hour morning window for fighters to check their weights. That time gap from 9 a.m. local time ends at 11 a.m. with an additional hour to cut off any overweight pounds, depending on the location.

Florida State Athletic Commission (FSAC), however, has changed up things for UFC 299, according to ESPN. Fighters will be required to check their marks in only a one-hour gap from 9 to 10 a.m. ET this Friday morning (results here). The additional hour is still allowed in the case of an initial miss. A fine or bout cancelation will occur in the case of missed weight.

Watching some more stuff on Blaydes, and it's honestly fucked up how many people talk shit about his stutter. He seems like such a nice dude.
It’s the LCD, my friend.

I would never make fun of a disability a person has. I don’t think it’s cool. I’ve always known, and believed that from childhood. The same thing goes with race, etc.

Your gender, height, parents, race, and god given talent. As well as possible birth defects. Nobody has a say in ANY of that shit.

I judge each person I meet with a blank slate.

Physical disabilities, and physical beauty are the last thing I think of when I meet someone. Apart from the obvious attraction to hot girls with big boobs, and nice asses, etc.

I have a serious physical disability, myself. I’m clinically deaf.

It’s not a clear and obvious disability just by looking at me. But, I deal with it. It’s hard to be in a conversation with somebody. And literally not be able to hear what that person is saying. Especially in public.

Often I Smile, and Wave..

Throughout my life I’ve heard stories of people that thought I was arrogant, and ignoring them, etc.

Not so.. I just did not hear them. Tbh, I don’t like being in public sometimes for this reason. And a lot people around me have mostly made that known to others.. throughout my life.

“Yeah, he is an asshole. But, he’s pretty much deaf.. No worries. Just make sure you have his attention in public if you mean to talk to him”.

People get it mostly. Even strangers. But some people are even bigger assholes, than myself.

Did I say Smile and Wave?

I give you..

Headstones..

Back