Poor uneducated people think marriage is a bad idea.

panamaican

Senior Moderator
Staff member
Senior Moderator
Reaction score
I was reading the Jordan Peterson AMA on reddit and he cited this link. I checked it out and it's interesting. It parallels something else I was reading about economic mobility.

In short, poor people and high school educated people are more likely to think marriage is obsolete than wealthier people or college educated people.

I'm always interested when something is being bandied about as common sense but then the data suggests that the biggest believers are people whose advice is generally not sought after for important decisions.

2010-family-02-01.png

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/11/18/iii-marriage/

Anyhoo, I think marriage is an important institution.

Not for the poor and uneducated. Now if only we could convince them that reproducing is a bad idea...

Poor uneducated people think marriage is a bad idea.

Well, that's not a surprise. They are still living together, having too many kids (no idea of the concept of birth control), and living off the government and food stamps.

Marriage is a tax break, nothing more

In fact I know more dating couples that are happy than folks that are married, I'm 38 for reference

Not for the poor and uneducated. Now if only we could convince them that reproducing is a bad idea...

What's crazy is that if they got married and stuck with it, they would improve their wealth status.

Marriage is a tax break, nothing more

In fact I know more dating couples that are happy than folks that are married, I'm 38 for reference

Well, your first sentence is inaccurate. And your second sentence is probably self-selection.

I know more happily married people than dating couples but so what. I'm happily married so I spend more time with people in similar life circumstances than with people in other life circumstances.

I was reading the Jordan Peterson AMA on reddit and he cited this link. I checked it out and it's interesting. It parallels something else I was reading about economic mobility.

In short, poor people and high school educated people are more likely to think marriage is obsolete than wealthier people or college educated people.

I'm always interested when something is being bandied about as common sense but then the data suggests that the biggest believers are people whose advice is generally not sought after for important decisions.

2010-family-02-01.png

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/11/18/iii-marriage/

Anyhoo, I think marriage is an important institution.
The single most disappointing thing about the poll is that there isn't a gender breakdown.

For men who don't desire a family I think it's one of the worst possible investments you can make, currently, but obviously I favor monogamous households and strong nuclear families forged under the linchpin of marriage as the backbone of the healthiest possible society. I think the effect here is likely little different than vegetarians outliving omnivores on average. The selection process itself is colored by what is more likely to be associated with success (or in the case of vegetarians those who live longer, and many of those associations have nothing to do with diet, and more focused examinations on diet suggest that vegetarianism itself divorced from simple associations like calorie excesses is actually less healthy).

It would be great if the bars for income were of two different colors: green/yellow. Green are married. Yellow are unmarried. That way one could get a direct sense of income level as it relates to marriage status in addition to what they answered.

I also find it incredibly interesting that nearly a third of married people would say it's becoming obsolete. Then again, it doesn't escape me that a greater proportion of unmarried people-- a majority-- represent their inverse.

It's also quite weird to me to see more conservatives call it obsolete than liberals. Wow.

Poor.uneducated people arent able to see things in the long-term so they go for short-term satisfaction. They are also more susceptible to propaganda that teaches them to be narcissistic, shallow, and irresponsible.

Well, your first sentence is inaccurate. And your second sentence is probably self-selection.

I know more happily married people than dating couples but so what. I'm happily married so I spend more time with people in similar life circumstances than with people in other life circumstances.
What other benifits do you get from marrying your significant other, other than tax breaks?

Headaches aren't an answer

Poor.uneducated people arent able to see things in the long-term so they go for short-term satisfaction. They are also more susceptible to propaganda that teaches them to be narcissistic, shallow, and irresponsible.
Or to think for yourself and be responsible

Marriage is an old institution, more and more folks are abandoning it, is that a bad thing?

The single most disappointing thing about the poll is that there isn't a gender breakdown.

For men who don't desire a family I think it's one of the worst possible investments you can make, currently, but obviously I favor monogamous households and strong nuclear families forged under the linchpin of marriage as the backbone of the healthiest possible society. I think the effect here is likely little different than vegetarians outliving omnivores on average. The selection process itself is colored by what is more likely to be associated with success (or in the case of vegetarians those who live longer, and many of those associations have nothing to do with diet, and more focused examinations on diet suggest that vegetarianism itself divorced from simple associations like calorie excesses is actually less healthy).

It would be great if the bars for income were of two different colors: green/yellow. Green are married. Yellow are unmarried. That way one could get a direct sense of income level as it relates to marriage status in addition to what they answered.

I also find it incredibly interesting that nearly a third of married people would say it's becoming obsolete. Then again, it doesn't escape me that a greater proportion of unmarried people-- a majority-- represent their inverse.

It's also quite weird to me to see more conservatives call it obsolete than liberals. Wow.

Yeah, gender numbers would have been worth seeing. I was also surprised at the conservative/liberal breakdown for all the claims about traditionalism and etc. who say that coming?

I agree that marriage is a bad investment for anyone who doesn't want to have kids though.

But the overall picture goes along with something I was reading about the death of economic mobility and the rise of income inequality. Essentially, that part of why the economic mobility is dying is because well compensated college educated singles are marrying other well compensated college educated singles, combining their resources into extremely well compensated households and then leveraging their resources to suck up more resources for their kids and leaving everyone below them in the dust.

They're not catching the .1% but their children are in no danger of usurpation from those in the bottom 90% either. An entrenched social class fueled by education and marriage. I don't know that it's a good thing or a bad thing but the reticence of the lesser educated or lesser compensated to avoid marriage probably helps that entrenchment take place.

Probably because most rushed to get married without putting an education or career first; were young and unprepared resulting in failed relationships.

What other benifits do you get from marrying your significant other, other than tax breaks?

Headaches aren't an answer

Theoretically marriage creates greater financial security, a more solidified support base both financially and emotionally, and at least in my experience, still holds weight in networking. People like people who commit.

Now the argument that the ease of divorce now wipes all of this out, and that is true to an extent.

I know I personally would not feel nearly as comfortable and secure with a common law partner as I do with a wife.

The nuclear family is the single most indispensable building block of a healthy society. Marriage is the key to that.
No it is not

Look at all animals, one might suggest that biologicaly spreading your genes far and wide is the single most valued thing, in all of creation, plants and animals

Maybe if 19 year old PFCs would stop marrying the local strippers and then divorcing them a year later the poll numbers would be a bit different.

part of the problem could be that poor people are more likely to come from divorced parents thus they view marriage negatively and their poor because they came from single family households.....its all a vicious circle

No it is not

Look at all animals, one might suggest that biologicaly spreading your genes far and wide is the single most valued thing, in all of creation, plants and animals
Animals don't create healthy societies.

Back