Poor uneducated people think marriage is a bad idea.

Theoretically marriage creates greater financial security, a more solidified support base both financially and emotionally, and at least in my experience, still holds weight in networking. People like people who commit.

Now the argument that the ease of divorce now wipes all of this out, and that is true to an extent.

I know I personally would not feel nearly as comfortable and secure with a common law partner as I do with a wife.
A man without the family, tends to be a bit, well, he'll, A LOT, more successful

No it is not

Look at all animals, one might suggest that biologicaly spreading your genes far and wide is the single most valued thing, in all of creation, plants and animals

Humans are well past needing to keep our population growing

if i was a western guy i would never marry a western woman unless i married a woman above my level or atleast my level. Have heard too many horror stories of men being taken to the cleaners here in the west.

Marriage is a tax break, nothing more

In fact I know more dating couples that are happy than folks that are married, I'm 38 for reference

No it is not. At least it wasn’t for last decade...I’m not sure about this years new code.

When both people work and make good money you pay more being married. Cost us about 3k

What?

Ok, are you serious or just ignorant?

Humans, are mammals, an animal

I don't think people are animals. They are different enough when it comes to questions like marriage and society to be a different category. You can call me ignorant, but one wants to talk about marriage, using dingos or another animal as your example is pretty ignorant imo.

A man without the family, tends to be a bit, well, he'll, A LOT, more successful

Really? I will need to look that up.

Entirely my own experience, but I can't think of one highly successful single man I know. Yes they have jobs and pay their bills, but every truely successful person I know is married, not all have children though.

Marriage is a tax break, nothing more

In fact I know more dating couples that are happy than folks that are married, I'm 38 for reference
balony

most long term couples will say that marriage took their relationship to the next level. Sure, many fail yet many still try anyhow. Aside from the fucked up laws, it's clearly desirable.

No it is not. At least it wasn’t for last decade...I’m not sure about this years new code.

When both people work and make good money you pay more being married. Cost us about 3k
My grandma married her dead sisters husband, for a tax break

Filing as a family lowers your taxes, that's basically the only thing you get besides hatred for your spouce

i would never curse the world and make more of me. It would be like when Agent Smith clones himself in The Matrix.

I don't think people are animals. They are different enough when it comes to questions like marriage and society to be a different category. You can call me ignorant, but one wants to talk about marriage, using dingos or another animal as your example is pretty ignorant imo.
Humans are animals, if you don't believe that, take a biology class.

What are we then? Special?

balony

most long term couples will say that marriage took their relationship to the next level. Sure, many fail yet many still try anyhow. Aside from the fucked up laws, it's clearly desirable.
No, many long term marriages came from a different era. Folks made concessions, folks tried hard to make their marriage work, and religious beliefs stopped them from separating

Yeah, gender numbers would have been worth seeing. I was also surprised at the conservative/liberal breakdown for all the claims about traditionalism and etc. who say that coming?

I agree that marriage is a bad investment for anyone who doesn't want to have kids though.

But the overall picture goes along with something I was reading about the death of economic mobility and the rise of income inequality. Essentially, that part of why the economic mobility is dying is because well compensated college educated singles are marrying other well compensated college educated singles, combining their resources into extremely well compensated households and then leveraging their resources to suck up more resources for their kids and leaving everyone below them in the dust.

They're not catching the .1% but their children are in no danger of usurpation from those in the bottom 90% either. An entrenched social class fueled by education and marriage. I don't know that it's a good thing or a bad thing but the reticence of the lesser educated or lesser compensated to avoid marriage probably helps that entrenchment take place.

Conservatives are being asked if they think marriage is becoming obsolete, not whether they support it. That number doesn't surprise me. Think about the types that complain about the "direction of society," at least in my personal experience it's the conservatives that think society is moving away from traditional values.

No, many long term marriages came from a different era. Folks made concessions, folks tried hard to make their marriage work, and religious beliefs stopped them from separating
as if that's a bad thing....... god forbid, folks worked through tough times, like for better and worse and all that.

and for the record, I've been married for over a decade, I'm fucked if my wife walks out on me. It's a little unnerving to have that thought in the back of my mind, but we bang like rabbits, so I think I'm good.

I was reading the Jordan Peterson AMA on reddit and he cited this link. I checked it out and it's interesting. It parallels something else I was reading about economic mobility.

In short, poor people and high school educated people are more likely to think marriage is obsolete than wealthier people or college educated people.

I'm always interested when something is being bandied about as common sense but then the data suggests that the biggest believers are people whose advice is generally not sought after for important decisions.

2010-family-02-01.png

http://www.pewsocialtrends.org/2010/11/18/iii-marriage/

Anyhoo, I think marriage is an important institution.
Don't you think it has a lot to do with feeling like you can't afford it?

I couldn't comprehend not being married and having kids.

best things I've done in my life is marry my childhood sweetheart and produce amazing spawns.

What other benifits do you get from marrying your significant other, other than tax breaks?

Headaches aren't an answer

For some people, there is a significant emotional gain from formalizing the relationship. For the religious, it sanctions their sexual intercourse and means that any offspring are seen differently. But it's mostly psychological stuff.

Supposedly it is a protection against depression, even when compared to cohabiting. Interestingly, it is supposedly better for men than for women, again even when compared to cohabiting.

Married people have longer lives, they tend to be healthier,

But a lot of this turns on how the individuals defined what a marriage is for. Also, there's some correlation vs. causation stuff that's tough to tease out but, in general, marriage seems to provide some benefits to the married individuals that are akin to a strong social network only moreso and cohabitating doesn't seem to produce the same to the same degree.

Obviously, with something like marriage, it's going to be very dependent on the individuals involved.

Yeah, gender numbers would have been worth seeing. I was also surprised at the conservative/liberal breakdown for all the claims about traditionalism and etc. who say that coming?

I agree that marriage is a bad investment for anyone who doesn't want to have kids though.

But the overall picture goes along with something I was reading about the death of economic mobility and the rise of income inequality. Essentially, that part of why the economic mobility is dying is because well compensated college educated singles are marrying other well compensated college educated singles, combining their resources into extremely well compensated households and then leveraging their resources to suck up more resources for their kids and leaving everyone below them in the dust.

They're not catching the .1% but their children are in no danger of usurpation from those in the bottom 90% either. An entrenched social class fueled by education and marriage. I don't know that it's a good thing or a bad thing but the reticence of the lesser educated or lesser compensated to avoid marriage probably helps that entrenchment take place.
The bold part is an important point. I got married anyway, even though it cost me money on my taxes and we don't intend to ever have kids but I'm a weirdo. The truth is, 2 incomes, no intent to have kids, marriage does nothing for you except psychologically (your latter comments about health outcomes notwithstanding.)

Anecdotally, from my experience most educated and higher class people dislike marriage. I know way more poor people married.

Couldnt care less if ppl are married or not. My wedding kicked ass

Back