Poor uneducated people think marriage is a bad idea.

as if that's a bad thing....... god forbid, folks worked through tough times, like for better and worse and all that.

and for the record, I've been married for over a decade, I'm fucked if my wife walks out on me. It's a little unnerving to have that thought in the back of my mind, but we bang like rabbits, so I think I'm good.
It's not a bad thing, but is today anything like 1950, 1960, 1970 no, it's nothing close

Well, marriage can lead to the two most expensive things in life: kids and divorce. And since it is the main cause of marital disputes are money woes (allegedly), being poor increases the chances of the latter I suppose. So maybe it's smart to stay single until you have some money?

Don't you think it has a lot to do with feeling like you can't afford it?

Absolutely. What's interesting, to me at least, is that poorer people cite economics as a reason to not enter marriage more than more well-to-do people but economically, the poorer people who benefit economically from doing so more than the already well-to-do.

That the perception of the economics of marriage are different depending on the economics of the individual.

For some people, there is a significant emotional gain from formalizing the relationship. For the religious, it sanctions their sexual intercourse and means that any offspring are seen differently. But it's mostly psychological stuff.

Supposedly it is a protection against depression, even when compared to cohabiting. Interestingly, it is supposedly better for men than for women, again even when compared to cohabiting.

Married people have longer lives, they tend to be healthier,

But a lot of this turns on how the individuals defined what a marriage is for. Also, there's some correlation vs. causation stuff that's tough to tease out but, in general, marriage seems to provide some benefits to the married individuals that are akin to a strong social network only moreso and cohabitating doesn't seem to produce the same to the same degree.

Obviously, with something like marriage, it's going to be very dependent on the individuals involved.
So there's not a single quantifiable value besides a tax break, ok

The large tax deductions for married people makes it kinda dumb for couples with children to stay legally single. If there's an asset disparity, file a pre-nup. Otherwise these people are potentially missing out on hundreds to thousands to tens of thousands a year in tax breaks.

Two friends of mine are in this predicament. One is a $40k earner, the other is a $200k earner. They just don't want to be taken through the ringer if there's a divorce but they discount the fact that the immediate and subsequent yearly tax relief likely pays for future divorce within just a couple years.

More people should think of marriage as a investment/business decision and less as a life decision.

Absolutely. What's interesting, to me at least, is that poorer people cite economics as a reason to not enter marriage more than more well-to-do people but economically, the poorer people who benefit economically from doing so more than the already well-to-do.

That the perception of the economics of marriage are different depending on the economics of the individual.
Again just to be clear, if one can evaluate that spending money on a big wedding is unwise when you're poor, I'd say those same people may refrain from having kids. Then getting married is not a good choice economically.

What's crazy is that if they got married and stuck with it, they would improve their wealth status.
Do you mean compared to living together? Because I believe being alone is the best idea to improve your wealth status, you have more time to study and improve. That's why I'm not marrying before 30. But obviously, I don't have children out of wedlock or anything.

As someone who just got married in the church, yes it has to be dying.

The Roman Catholic church is dying in the West but still think they run the world. I like symbols so I stuck with the agenda but fuck me was that a pain in the ass.

Lol at the notion that millenials with their smartphones and trends that last a week are going to deal with that fucking shit.

How? We are just a mammal, we just perceive ourselves as the superior ones

Because we can discuss the benefits or lack thereof of marriage and other social arrangements with people from other continents instantaneously using our magic boxes. Humans are unique enough practically to be well worthy of being considered a separate category. I think it is stupid to look to animals as you did to learn the best way to handle relationships.

Do you mean compared to living together? Because I believe being alone is the best idea to improve your wealth status, you have more time to study and improve. That's why I'm not marrying before 30. But obviously, I don't have children out of wedlock or anything.

Or you just start dating someone who makes twice as much as you like I did
<seedat>

Again just to be clear, if one can evaluate that spending money on a big wedding is unwise when you're poor, I'd say those same people may refrain from having kids. Then getting married is not a good choice economically.

Yeah, I re-read my post and I think it's a little confusing. Poor people say that you should not get married if you can't afford it. Better off people don't think your financial status should impact if you get married.

The thing is that even though a big wedding is an unwise choice, a marriage doesn't cost more than what the fees are at the Justice of the Peace. At which point, being married might make having the kids more affordable. It's an interesting thing to me that the perception of the economics is different between groups.

Because we can discuss the benefits or lack thereof of marriage and other social arrangements with people from other continents instantaneously using our magic boxes. Humans are unique enough practically to be well worthy of being considered a separate category. I think it is stupid to look to animals as you did to learn the best way to handle relationships.
These are made up institutions from a bygone age

Are you religious? If not, then why do you believe teachings of them

It makes sense.....If you're rich

A) You can literally pick the "right" person for you(In terms of looks, personality, Money), you will have a shitload of guys/girls in line.......If you're poor, you aren't going to get a lot of offers, and if you do, guess what? They are probably going to have defects.....Yes a poor person can marry a great person, that requires a lot more effort that the Average poor person won't do or can't do(If they are busy working a shitload)

B) You're marrying a wealthy family, not just a person......Rich people tend to stick with rich people...It's not just for "love", it's in a way, a business move...If you marry another rich person, guess what? You will probably become richer!!!!!!!!!!!!...........Other than Tax breaks/Co-op to buy a house, poor people aren't going to get a lot of money for marrying another poor person.

C) Poor people mostly likely grew up with horrible Families/Family values.......Unlike Rich people who probably had a better family experience on average than a poor person.

Last edited:
Back