Pettis-Aldo: One More Reason for Fighter Union

Nobody's plunking down 60 bucks because they think the matchmaking's fair. They want to be entertained. Alves and Florian had to cool their heels for GSP vs BJ 2 to happen, and I don't remember too many people crying about it. Pettis has been passed over for the LW title twice now.

Unions are for pussies and underachievers.

UFC fighters are neither.

This is like saying NHLPA would interfere if Penguins would send Crosby to the AHL. Sounds legit.

I am against Sonnen getting a lhw shot, but I am good with Pettis getting Aldo. the guy is a great style matchup for Aldo, is a former WEC champ with a win over Bendo, and is on a great streak. lamas has a gripe, but he needs another win to gain more fan interest, it is a business after all.

Don't put together Aldo Pettis, with Sonnen Jones because they are COMPLETELY different.

Ever heard of P4P philosophy? Wins in a weight class above should count MORE not less.
Not only that, but I believe that the overall skill level at LW is higher than the overall skill level at FW.

Ignoring that Pettis is a legit top 3 LW fighter even being undersized is silly.

Pettis deserves the title shot on merits more than Lamas.

clap.gif

Fucking /thread

A fighter's union is a good idea, but there are some problems. If you are spreading the money around more evenly, then you need big named fighters to agree to a pay cut when the union is formed. You can try to convince them that the total share of the pie will be larger, but you can't guarantee that until after negotiations.

And sue to block the fight? On what grounds? That's a silly idea.

Actually the ufc only gives about 3 percent of their profits not earnings mind you to the fighters. Where as other pro sports such as the NBA and NFL have it at half or over. That's fucked.

The topic of this thread is exactly why unions absolutely suck in nearly every instance. Let's not have an incredible fight like Aldo-Pettis and let's have Aldo fight a guy like Lamas that would be +400 at best against Aldo. Simply can't comprehend why people would rather see Aldo fight a guy that he's a huge favorite against instead of a guy who just may actually be a better striker than him.

I agree with you man, a union would only help the fighters. The downside is there wouldn't be super fights and the Brock Lesnars wouldn't be given immediate shots and shit like that. lol MMA would be a sport and not a money machine for Vegas gangsters.

A fighters association would give them a more powerful voice, not veto power over fights. It could set standards for training to decrease injuries, arrange for healthcare and insurance so that fighters don't have to go online and request donations for operations (purchasing insurance as a group lowers the rate).

Those of you condemning unions are ignorant of history or just ignorant. I'd advise that you stop worrying about mma and go read a book.

I agree with you man, a union would only help the fighters. The downside is there wouldn't be super fights and the Brock Lesnars wouldn't be given immediate shots and shit like that. lol MMA would be a sport and not a money machine for Vegas gangsters.

Help fighters hurt fans. Same way the teacher's union hurts students.

think of getting a title shot like getting a promotion.. in the end of the day, the boss gets to decide who gets the promotion.. not the workers... there is really no difference

Jose/Pettis is actually a good fight. Jones/Chael is shit. Get it together.

After I saw Aldo/Edgar, I vowed to never buy another PPV headlined by an Aldo title fight @ 145 again. Why? Because now that we know for sure that Aldo can hang with the elite at 155..any title fight with these 145ers is pretty much pointless. You have to hope that Aldo has a bad weight cut or something in order to make it more interesting.

So Aldo/Petitis was a brilliant move by the UFC. Because they know Aldo/any 145er is not marketable from a PPV standpoint but Aldo/Petitis is.

Aldo-Pettis is just about the most guaranteed exciting fight out there right now. You can see why the UFC put it together.

Sonnen has no business @ LHW...That is purely for marketability, because hes going to get destroyed within 1 minute of the fight

The UFC is an individual sport, not a team sport. The scheduling in team sports is not affected by injuries or who won't fight who. How would the system you propose deal with that?

You are putting the matchmaking function into the hands of union bosses. Would your hypothetical union have forced Tito to fight Chuck when he was the clear number one contender? What about forcing Anderson to face Weidman? If not Weidman, who, and how would that be decided?

Has an NFL player ever successfully sued to be the starter on a particular team? Should that decision making be taken out of the hands of the coaches and front office?

Personally I think the fighters union idea is silly. Sillier still is what you think the fighters union should do.

The real issue is that you view the fighters as perpetual victims and the UFC as an all powerful victimizer. No one forces these guys to fight. There are no UFC press gangs hitting guys over the head and forcing them into the cage at gun point.

They choose to do it for fame and fortune.

Back