Pettis-Aldo: One More Reason for Fighter Union

Pettis vs Aldo is why I am in favour the current match-making system, flawed though it yes.

Yes, we get some stupid fights. However, we also get amazing fights, like this one, that would probably never happen otherwise. I find the majority of UFC match-making to be quite good from the perspective of a fan of the sport. Is it fair to all fighters? No, no it isn't. But honestly the fight game isn't really about fairness like that. Mismatches can lead to upsets, which happen all the time in this sport.

I suspect a fighters union will come along someday, and it will likely be beneficial for the fighters. But people will harken back to those wild old days, when legends were made.

People are going to keep asking for these things.

Then, some day in the future, a lot of people are going to blame these things for what's wrong with MMA.

It's a tough cycle.

Let me do something rare around here and admit I was wrong to link a proposed fight and a proposed fighters association. I only did so to suggest that other fighters like Lamas and KZ who have legitimate gripes about being passed over should have some recourse. Not that they could change the fight, but simply voice opposition through an organization that looked out for fighters. I still believe that to be true, but I wrongly implied that the organization may/should be able to prevent a fight. That was a mistake.

In a recent interview, Randy Couture said fighters needed to do certain things to protect themselves such as get insurance and maybe incorporate themselves. A fighters association could assist in those matters.

Back