Pettis-Aldo: One More Reason for Fighter Union

PabloZed

Brown Belt
Reaction score
The UFC can announce a Jones v Sonnen title fight and now an Aldo v Pettis fight without much pushback because there is no organization representing the fighters. LHW contenders like Hendo voiced their opposition to Sonnen getting an undeserved shot and now Lamas and KZ are objecting to Pettis being able to pick and choose where to fight. But Hendo, Lamas and KZ, as well as other fighters, have no real voice in the UFC as individuals. Indeed, they are mostly ignored. That would also be the case in the NFL, for example, if the players did not have the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), which acts on their behalf. The NFLPA can file grievances and go to court on behalf of the players when the NFL takes actions that the players believe are unfair or detrimental. The burden is therefore not on individual players.

UFC fighters - if not all mma fighters - need their own fighters association. They need an association to address training injuries, compensation and, if necessary, to oppose unfair fight arrangements. Lamas and KZ and even Poirier and Swanson have a legitimate objection to LW's being able to drop down and get an immediate title shot. In a very real way, Pettis is taking money out of Lamas' pocket because, without a doubt, Lamas is the #1 contender. I know he won't, but Lamas should sue to block the Aldo-Pettis fight. Bring it into federal court so that the UFC is forced to explain its shenanigans. And let me pre-empt those who say the UFC can do what it wants. It can't, just as the NFL can't just suspend or fine players.

Edit: A title fight is akin to a promotion and an employee who is passed over for a promotion, where the employer acted arbitrarily and unfairly, can sue. Obviously, the facts are more complicated here, but there is enough overlap to make me think Lamas can go to court.

Last edited:
Don't put together Aldo Pettis, with Sonnen Jones because they are COMPLETELY different.

Ever heard of P4P philosophy? Wins in a weight class above should count MORE not less.
Not only that, but I believe that the overall skill level at LW is higher than the overall skill level at FW.

Ignoring that Pettis is a legit top 3 LW fighter even being undersized is silly.

Pettis deserves the title shot on merits more than Lamas.

Anthony Pettis vs. Jose Aldo is an amazing fight. Deal with it.

baby_crying.gif

LOL. It is not about me crying or being upset. I'd like to see the fight. I am thinking of the fighters who are being passed over - unfairly.

Pettis vs Aldo is one of those rare times that I don't dislike this.

Jones vs Vitor
Jones vs Sonnen
Those are lame

Edgar vs Aldo was iffy

Pettis vs Aldo is solid, great style match, Pettis has been winning. Good wins.

A fighter's union is a good idea, but there are some problems. If you are spreading the money around more evenly, then you need big named fighters to agree to a pay cut when the union is formed. You can try to convince them that the total share of the pie will be larger, but you can't guarantee that until after negotiations.

And sue to block the fight? On what grounds? That's a silly idea.

And what's a fighters union going to do? Are they going to get fighters in other divisions to strike because Pettis is getting a title shot at FW? Good luck convincing guys like Silva, Jones, GSP or anyone who's not personally invested to give a shit enough to strike.

You have a good point about contenders like Lamas losing money. But with regard to title shots I think the fights people want to see will get made regardless of whether its deserved or not.

LOL. It is not about me crying or being upset. I'd like to see the fight. I am thinking of the fighters who are being passed over - unfairly.

The UFC is not now, nor has it EVER been a meritocracy. I'm a Hendo fan, and while it sucks that he missed out on his chance (due to an injury - not being passed over) welcome to the real world.

A union won't change this. The union can't do anything about the matchups - it would involve things like fighter safety, pay and benefits. Things which, for the most part, the UFC has made remarkable strides in over the last few years. But if you think a union is going to mean no more Jones v. Sonnen mismatches - then you're dead wrong. The CAW doesn't decide which cars to produce. Or have any input on new designs.

they should do it for jones vs sonnen or nate vs gsp. not aldo vs pettis

Guaranty a stand up war y u crying that's what everyone wants right well their doing what ever it takes to satisfy the ppl

A fighter's union is bullsh#t. If you want certain things then you negotiate them into a contract or go about getting them in some manner besides picketing and bemoaning your lot in life. Don't like your pay for installing bolts in a car door? Go somewhere else. Businesses don't exist to make uneducated laborers millionaires.

MMA/UFC is the rockstar dream. Not every fighter is equal in draw/earning potential so how would pay work? Right now a kid in his first fight in the UFC can pick up a small paycheck for a win plus a big KO/Sub bonus and Fight of the Night bonus. Let's say $40k + $40k or $80k on top of base pay. Cool. Where would that kid be within a union? Would the UFC do away with bonuses so that the kid could make $20k his first fight should he win? So now he makes $20k for a UD win, or $20k if he goes out and destroys his opponent. Meanwhile, Anderson Silva makes how much? Does Anderson get a pay cut? Is he still a top dog within a union? Doesn't seem fair that he should make that much more than a guy that bleeds the same, right?

The UFC has made around 40 Millionaires. Guys have bought Lambo's, Ferrari's, huge houses, airplanes, etc etc from working hard and putting on good fights. They paid their dues and moved up. If you can't pay a mortgage or put food on the table by living the MMA dream then it's time to man up and find a new vocation. I never shed a tear when some moron cries about his divorce, lack of child custody, repo'd car, etc etc because he was selfishly pursuing the "rockstar" MMA dream instead of working hard at keeping his shit together personally and professionally.

The UFC can announce a Jones v Sonnen title fight and now an Aldo v Pettis fight without much pushback because there is no organization representing the fighters. LHW contenders like Hendo voiced their opposition to Sonnen getting an undeserved shot and now Lamas and KZ are objecting to Pettis being able to pick and choose where to fight. But Hendo, Lamas and KZ, as well as other fighters, have no real voice in the UFC as individuals. Indeed, they are mostly ignored. That would also be the case in the NFL, for example, if the players did not have the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), which acts on their behalf. The NFLPA can file grievances and go to court on behalf of the players when the NFL takes actions that the players believe are unfair or detrimental. The burden is therefore not on individual players.

UFC fighters - if not all mma fighters - need their own fighters association. They need an association to address training injuries, compensation and, if necessary, to oppose unfair fight arrangements. Lamas and KZ and even Poirier and Swanson have a legitimate objection to LW's being able to drop down and get an immediate title shot. In a very real way, Pettis is taking money out of Lamas' pocket because, without a doubt, Lamas is the #1 contender. I know he won't, but Lamas should sue to block the Aldo-Pettis fight. Bring it into federal court so that the UFC is forced to explain its shenanigans. And let me pre-empt those who say the UFC can do what it wants. It can't, just as the NFL can't just suspend or fine players.

Edit: A title fight is akin to a promotion and an employee who is passed over for a promotion, where the employer acted arbitrarily and unfairly, can sue. Obviously, the facts are more complicated here, but there is enough overlap to make me think Lamas can go to court.

Dude, are you out of your fucking mind? I am all for fighters having a union to negotiate compensation, benefits, etc. But it is a HHUUUUGGGEEEE overreach for a fighter union to have an actual say in what fights can and can not take place. I could not think of a worse thing for the sport.

Be asshurt all you want about fighters not getting shots you think they have earned. I am pretty pissed about Hendricks not getting his shot. But this is the worst idea ever.

PS- You write as though unions are the vanguards of high ethics and incorruptibility. LOL

You should never complain about a fight like Aldo vs Pettis.

Unions are nothing but extortionist thugs that want to take everything that's not nailed down under the pretense of "helping" people. No unions in MMA thanks.

No idea how anyone can complain about Aldo/Pettis. It's the perfect fight - Aldo has no big name challengers ready for him yet (Korean Zombie is probably closest but it's not enough to sell the fight). Also if Pettis loses it's no problem, he can go back up to LW, win one fight and be ready to fight Bendo again.

If you want certain things then you negotiate them into a contract or go about getting them in some manner besides picketing and bemoaning your lot in life.

Another manner? Like collective bargaining? I love that unions, to you, are just striking and whining.

A fighter's union is a legitimate strategy and none of your points are arguments against it. The UFC would be in shitty shape if every MMA fighter that couldn't pay his bills just quit.

Nobody is saying that they should all be paid the same or that Anderson Silva shouldn't make millions. Many professional athletes are a part of a union and they still make excellent money, and the stars make tremendous money.

I agree 100% w/ you. Please ignore all the idiots w/ the ignorant comments & baby pics.

I agree 100% w/ you. Please ignore all the idiots w/ the ignorant comments & baby pics.

So you agree that people should sue the UFC for title shots and that a union would, somehow, resolve this problem?

Back