Pettis-Aldo: One More Reason for Fighter Union

Union Schmunion...

Last thing fighters need is a bunch of useless schmucks sponging off them...

More like it won't let Dana bully fighters into accepting fights they didn't sign or don't wanna take.

Shouldn't it be up to Dana, the UFC brass, the fighter, and their camp to decide what fights they take and which fights they don't?

The UFC is not now, nor has it EVER been a meritocracy. I'm a Hendo fan, and while it sucks that he missed out on his chance (due to an injury - not being passed over) welcome to the real world.

A union won't change this. The union can't do anything about the matchups - it would involve things like fighter safety, pay and benefits. Things which, for the most part, the UFC has made remarkable strides in over the last few years. But if you think a union is going to mean no more Jones v. Sonnen mismatches - then you're dead wrong. The CAW doesn't decide which cars to produce. Or have any input on new designs.

This 100%. Well put.

this is fucking stupid. KZ has been out for almost an entire year with injury, is lower ranked and has a far worse resume but TS wants an union to come in and push for his fave to get a title shot?

Sorry Ts but somehow I don't see a union giving a shit which one of your fighters you feel has been slighted.

these are all fights that are good for the fans and the sport.
WAR PETTIS.We need more like him who are ready to test the waters.
Unlike some champions who never venture out of their weightclass except to fight
obviously outclassed opponents in the weightclass above.

There is no union in the world strong enough to override the promoter's decision of who fights whom and when. When is the last time you saw an NFL player file and win a grievance because he got benched when he 'deserved' to be the starter? That's not what sport unions do. You're talking out of your ass.

If a fighter keeps destroying potential contenders, they will eventually get a title shot. They may have to wait in line while the UFC puts on a few less deserving but more lucrative fights, but if they really deserve the title they will win whatever matchups they get in the meantime and eventually get the title shot.

Anyone who thinks a union is the answer, doesn't really understand how unions work.

When will people realize this is prize fighting. What might work in stick and ball sports isn't gonna work here.

a contender in a division moving up for a title shot is atrocious. A champion calibre opponent moving down to fight for the title is perfectly fine in my book.

It highlights that 10lbs is probably not a big enough gap in weight class.

A union is not the answer

The UFC and more importantly Joe Silver is doing a pretty good job at making fights...

and realistically they are making the best fights possible with what they have to work with.

Sure Lamas will feel the next shot was his no doubt... but nothing in life is guaranteed

Injuries and illness have made us see many potential fights go past and there obviously will be many more to come... its the nature of the beast with sport ESPECIALLY combat sport

I am happy to see any fights they match up with the schedule of all their fighters coming together and its actually admirable the way they juggle the mayhem that takes into consideration so many variables and x factors

So unless u want Joes job and can do it better

sit back and enjoy the show

Don't put together Aldo Pettis, with Sonnen Jones because they are COMPLETELY different.

Ever heard of P4P philosophy? Wins in a weight class above should count MORE not less.
Not only that, but I believe that the overall skill level at LW is higher than the overall skill level at FW.

Ignoring that Pettis is a legit top 3 LW fighter even being undersized is silly.

Pettis deserves the title shot on merits more than Lamas.

I disagree. Pettis should have had to pick up a win or two before getting a title shot at Featherweight.

Showtime getting the title shot is nowhere near as bad as Jones/Sonnen though. Pettis is coming off of three wins and back to back KOTN wins, while Sonnen is coming off of a embarrassing loss and a long layoff.

your comparison sucks. Aldo vs. Pettis is a decent match, Sonnen vs. JBJ is just a joke.

The UFC can announce a Jones v Sonnen title fight and now an Aldo v Pettis fight without much pushback because there is no organization representing the fighters. LHW contenders like Hendo voiced their opposition to Sonnen getting an undeserved shot and now Lamas and KZ are objecting to Pettis being able to pick and choose where to fight. But Hendo, Lamas and KZ, as well as other fighters, have no real voice in the UFC as individuals. Indeed, they are mostly ignored. That would also be the case in the NFL, for example, if the players did not have the NFL Players Association (NFLPA), which acts on their behalf. The NFLPA can file grievances and go to court on behalf of the players when the NFL takes actions that the players believe are unfair or detrimental. The burden is therefore not on individual players.

UFC fighters - if not all mma fighters - need their own fighters association. They need an association to address training injuries, compensation and, if necessary, to oppose unfair fight arrangements. Lamas and KZ and even Poirier and Swanson have a legitimate objection to LW's being able to drop down and get an immediate title shot. In a very real way, Pettis is taking money out of Lamas' pocket because, without a doubt, Lamas is the #1 contender. I know he won't, but Lamas should sue to block the Aldo-Pettis fight. Bring it into federal court so that the UFC is forced to explain its shenanigans. And let me pre-empt those who say the UFC can do what it wants. It can't, just as the NFL can't just suspend or fine players.

Edit: A title fight is akin to a promotion and an employee who is passed over for a promotion, where the employer acted arbitrarily and unfairly, can sue. Obviously, the facts are more complicated here, but there is enough overlap to make me think Lamas can go to court.

so are you saying the WWE is like an employer and a deserving entertainer not being given a push or title shot is akin to an employee being passed up for a promotion?

So you want a fighter's Union deciding who fights who? You didn't think that out too well did you. Imagine you go to your boss and tell him you want a raise. Your boss says yes sure. Then your union rep comes over and says no, no, you can't have a raise, Bob gets the raise. Maybe in a few more years you can get your shot.

Back