People who hate the successful...

It's not at all ironic that the ones bitching are exactly the types of posters who do the same exact shit described in the OP. In fact, the majority of them were people I was thinking about while making this.

Go look at their posts historically here. They fall right in line. All we need is Jack to show up.

Lol Jack really put a beating to your ideology last time you came through....

I tend to prefer underground music and definitely liked PRIDE more than UFC, but I don’t hold any of those political positions you talked about. I’m pretty conservative for the most part, and I’m a cop and American Patriot for God’s sake...

Lol Jack really put a beating to your ideology last time you came through....

My all-time favorite exchange with him--just because it illustrates what a small man he is--was this:

Even if you're talking about a real community, though, criminality and other forms of let's say deviant behavior are the extreme minority. I go to restaurants, concerts, and during the season, baseball games in Oakland all the time, for example. The overwhelming majority of people there are just like people anywhere else. They walk by your with their headphones on, or they half smile and say hi, and once in a while someone will stare you down as you walk by. If you ask for directions, you most likely get them. If you're stuck in line, they exchange frustrated glances with you. Etc. You guys make it sound like every inner city young black person is running around shooting guns like Yosemite Sam.

Then he highlights "The overwhelming majority of people there are just like people anywhere else." and responds with this:

What a crock of shit. Absolute BULLSHIT. Come back to the real world. People aren't overwhelmingly the same anywhere else you go and this is so self evident it should go without saying; yet here you are.

I don't even have to leave "white people" to find how untrue your assertion is. I grew up out in the country and the people in the trailer parks near my subdivision were drastically different people both morally and ethically than the people in my subdivision. (as usual, he goes on and on from here, this isn't the end)

I tend to prefer underground music and definitely liked PRIDE more than UFC, but I don’t hold any of those political positions you talked about. I’m pretty conservative for the most part, and I’m a cop and American Patriot for God’s sake...

No, dude, if you watched non-UFC MMA, you have some sort of pathology. Zeke has learned that he can't defend his points on their merits, but a nice shortcut is to assert that the only reason anyone would disagree with him, even on MMA preference, is that they hate successful bigshots like him.

Anyway, I think it's clear that Pride had a better HW and MW(LHW) division, and the UFC was mostly better in the other divisions. The UFC tended to put on more-competitive fights, but I kind of liked how Pride would have big fights and then showcase decent fighters in squashes. The worst Pride fights were worse than anything in the UFC, but the best fights were better than anything in the UFC. More fun overall, IMO, at the time but it was good having them both. Today's UFC is way better than Pride was, though.

I see you joined in 2012. If you were around right after TUF, you'd see where all this comes from. Lots of new fans swarmed SD and shat on non-UFC MMA. It was easier to write off fighters they weren't familiar with than to get familiar with all the top guys when they were in different promotions.

My all-time favorite exchange with him--just because it illustrates what a small man he is--was this:

Then he highlights "The overwhelming majority of people there are just like people anywhere else." and responds with this:

No, dude, if you watched non-UFC MMA, you have some sort of pathology. Zeke has learned that he can't defend his points on their merits, but a nice shortcut is to assert that the only reason anyone would disagree with him, even on MMA preference, is that they hate successful bigshots like him.

Anyway, I think it's clear that Pride had a better HW and MW(LHW) division, and the UFC was mostly better in the other divisions. The UFC tended to put on more-competitive fights, but I kind of liked how Pride would have big fights and then showcase decent fighters in squashes. The worst Pride fights were worse than anything in the UFC, but the best fights were better than anything in the UFC. More fun overall, IMO, at the time but it was good having them both. Today's UFC is way better than Pride was, though.

I see you joined in 2012. If you were around right after TUF, you'd see where all this comes from. Lots of new fans swarmed SD and shat on non-UFC MMA. It was easier to write off fighters they weren't familiar with than to get familiar with all the top guys when they were in different promotions.

I still like how quickly he abandoned his appeal to sweat equity when confronted with Adverse Possession lol.

Hate the successful (people)? Are you even vaguely familiar with the history of Labor in this country? The OP veers of into racist blather which is understandable. For some reason, racial minorities really raise the hackles of white Americans. Anecdotal evidence sucks but I have known university professors (millionaires) who were incensed that they could not take a bullhorn to the University Commons area and project racial epithets bc a university is a bastion of free speech.

By 'successful' I'll address the economic royalists:

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

"Behind every great fortune there is a great crime"

"The privileged have regularly invited their own destruction with their greed."

“public debt is private wealth...”

I've noticed - and I am sure that I am not the first - that there are people out there who seem to instinctually hate those who are successful, well liked and accomplished.

Really? This is something you'very noticed? Awesome. Please continue.

you can almost bet that they're going to be the type of person that blames Islamic violence on "Western Imperialism", and the rich are stealing from the poor. And so on.

I wager that they almost exclusively side against the more prominent, the more successful, the more accomplished.

See phrases like "I'm willing to bet" or "I'd wager" tell me you are guessing here, and haven't actually noticed a relationship between hating the UFC, supporting Islamic extremests, hating the wealthy, and underground music

"The modern conservative is engaged in one of man's oldest exercises in moral philosophy; that is, the search for a superior moral justification for selfishness."

giphy.gif

I dont need an 8 page essay to see coveting as a portion of human nature, deep rooted in us.

So many people are like crabs in a bucket.

If I had that mentality, I would probably end my life because most of my friends are far more successful than me. But I get inspired by them and I’m genuinely happy for them!

But it’s easier to try to tear down others than to build up your own life!

This. Coveting what someone has is an open ended proposition. You can either use the covet in order to emulate, or you can use it to attempt a denigration of the successful person. The latter never brings anyone anything useful, while the former is the basis for just about every human who ever thought "Damn, I'm gonna try to be better than even that guy!!"

So many people are like crabs in a bucket.

If I had that mentality, I would probably end my life because most of my friends are far more successful than me. But I get inspired by them and I’m genuinely happy for them!

But it’s easier to try to tear down others than to build up your own life!

It's not about shaming people for being successful: it's about contextualizing the causes of their success and limiting them from parlaying it into keeping others down.

No one should be ashamed, and certainly not suicidal, over others being more successful than them. But that doesn't mean we have to fetishize all of other people's conduct because they were successful in one narrow aspect of life.

Also, this generalization seems kind of silly when applied to the real lives of persons who supposedly espouse this outlook: is Warren Buffet some sour, unsuccessful cuck?

@Zeke's Chaingun, @Tycho

This. Coveting what someone has is an open ended proposition. You can either use the covet in order to emulate, or you can use it to attempt a denigration of the successful person. The latter never brings anyone anything useful, while the former is the basis for just about every human who ever thought "Damn, I'm gonna try to be better than even that guy!!"

Once upon a time...

A guy is born very rich.

He uses those riches he inherited to undercut, predatorily price, and buy out small businesses, putting people out of work and into poverty.

He uses those (now more vast) riches to open more locations and jack up prices now that his competitors have been forced out of business by his previous(ly artificially low) prices, as consumers spend more on his products and become poorer.

He uses the (now more more vast) riches to bribe politicians into busting unions so he can pay his workers less and not have to spend money on workplace protections. He then makes more money, while his workers become poorer and get injured and killed more often at work.

He uses his (now more more more vast) riches to bribes politicians into gutting consumer protections so he can cut corners on his products and invest less money into quality assurance. He then makes more money, while consumers die and get sick, thereafter becoming more poor after having to pay large sums of money for their medical bills.

He uses his (now more more more more vast) riches to buy media outlets and bribe news companies to tell people that those who are questioning him are just jealous of his success and need to work harder and stop being such losers, and threads like this get made.

Should you admire this guy?

Or should you criticize him, attempt to curb his conduct, and make it so that other people can be successful without causing so much harm?

Last edited:
sooooooo...

We should stop hating the Kardashians and start watching their shows? Is that what this thread is about??????

It's not about shaming people for being successful: it's about contextualizing the causes of their success and limiting them from parlaying it into keeping others down.

No one should be ashamed, and certainly not suicidal, over others being more successful than them. But that doesn't mean we have to fetishize all of other people's conduct because they were successful in one narrow aspect of life.

Also, this generalization seems kind of silly when applied to the real lives of persons who supposedly espouse this outlook: is Warren Buffet some sour, unsuccessful cuck?
Acquisitive success is the essence of American success. People are consumers of goods and thanks to propaganda, people are conditioned to be hyperconsumers. The only thing that matters is acquisition of shit we don't need. Rich and famous....the two American goals.

People that have that value system tend to either live in comforting illusion that they too are successful or they ultimately crash with the understanding that either A) they are not successful or B) Consumerism is hollow and pointless for adding meaning to life.

Either way, the American value system of 'success' is going to end up a bitter pill for the vast majority of Americans.

@Zeke's Chaingun, @Tycho

Once upon a time...

A guy is born very rich.

He uses those riches he inherited to undercut, predatorily price, and buy out small businesses, putting people out of work and into poverty.

He uses those (now more vast) riches to open more locations and jack up prices now that his competitors have been forced out of business by his previous(ly artificially low) prices, as consumers spend more on his products and become poorer.

He uses the (now more more vast) riches to bribe politicians into busting unions so he can pay his workers less and not have to spend money on workplace protections. He then makes more money, while his workers become poorer and get injured and killed more often at work.

He uses his (now more more more vast) riches to bribes politicians into gutting consumer protections so he can cut corners on his products and invest less money into quality assurance. He then makes more money, while consumers die and get sick, thereafter becoming more poor after having to pay large sums of money for their medical bills.

He uses his (now more more more more vast) riches to buy media outlets and bribe news companies to tell people that those who are questioning him are just jealous of his success and need to work harder and stop being such losers, and threads like this get made.

Should you admire this guy?

Or should you criticize him, attempt to curb his conduct, and make it so that other people can be successful without causing so much harm?

There are deformities in your assessment.

The rich man had nothing to covet in the first place, being born rich. If he did indeed covet things, it is his fault for using this impulse to cause harm, whereas someone like Michael Jordan coveted basketball players before him, and put in countless hours of work in emulation.

There are deformities in your assessment.

The rich man had nothing to covet in the first place, being born rich. If he did indeed covet things, it is his fault for using this impulse to cause harm, whereas someone like Michael Jordan coveted basketball players before him, and put in countless hours of work in emulation.

You said:

You can either use the covet in order to emulate, or you can use it to attempt a denigration of the successful person.

So, since the persons who are critical of this person are then said to be coveting, they must choose between "emulating" that person and thereby validating their conduct, or "attempting to denigrate" so as to be sour and vindictive to that person by mere virtue of their success?

You don't see how that is a false dichotomy? We should not be encouraging people to emulate conduct that is detrimental to everyone but the person doing it.

TS used to be a hardcore atheist, but I guess he switched. Most people are religious, which means religion is more successful than atheism, which means not being religious = hating success = being a fuckhead. Or maybe he's not consistent in his beliefs.

I've noticed - and I am sure that I am not the first - that there are people out there who seem to instinctually hate those who are successful, well liked and accomplished. This enmity isn't limited to individuals, they tend to apply it on all levels, from the individual on up to nations, cultures and more.

LOL, right here is the correct answer and predicted by Nietzsche

Back