Penn overrated?

Penn is very talented but the crowd caught up with him. The top ten guys at 155 and 170 have answers for everything BJ brings to the table.

BJ has a chance against a few guys for a round max. He has no stamina. He should have word his cardio a bit more.

That being said he will be an Hall of Famer one day but he is not as great as he thinks. For example, he never was in the league of Aldo, Silva and GSP though he was gutsy at times and had flashes of brilliance.

This guy knows what i mean

Nuthugger or not I don't see how you can expect people not to think this is a troll thread when you don't mention wins over Takanori Gomi and Matt Hughes.

Not to mention GSP 1 and Edgar 1 which many people thought he won.

Prime/Motivated/No Kids BJ vs today's field? I don't know, I think the current field has passed him by in skillset, that much is obvious. As far as talent who knows, I have a hard time thinking you don't put a young BJ in any era of MMA and he wouldn't adapt well and be a top fighter (albeit still with cardio issues).

These many people were BJ's delusional fans and GSP haters. PositiveBalance was the front runner for this group of delusional BJ fans.

I fucking hate BJ Penn. Ever since 127 he has "retired" after every fight and has made a triumphant return and everyone says "bj is back" dana blows his horn saying how well he is training etc. After frankie destroys him for a third time he will "retire" again and hopefully he retires for good. All this IMO has ruined his legacy. Along with the beatings he took at ww. I get he is a former WW champ but he has only beat one fighter at WW (a damn good one at that but still) just fuck off already.

To answer your question as a lw definitely not overrated as a ww amazingly overrated.

the end.

They don't seem like much now but at the time he beat those guys they were the big names.

What people don't seem to get is that even with the first Edgar and GSP fight as losses, he is still in no way overrated.
I don't want to post everything that I've posted before but he has accomplished some great feats which haven't been copied by anyone except Randy Couture.

BJ also has wins over discussed lw and ww goats in Gomi and Hughes and a shitload of hall of famers to say it all in a nuttshell
which other fighter can claim to have wins over 2 argued goats in 2 divisions?

MMA fans should be more respectful and have more appreciation

Agree he has amazing heart. But he has won twice against Hughes in all his fights at WW and above. Definite warrior for not caring about size, but that is different from winning at higher weight classes. Example - A Silva: has gone up 3 times for 3 dominating wins. 100% win ratio. Penn has gone WW or above 10 times I think, for about 2 wins. 20% win ratio - see the difference?

If BJ was fighting the Bonnars and Irvins of the WW division i'm sure he would have a 100% win ratio as well.

He kicked gsp's ass in the first fight and made him muscle him around since gsp wanted nothing to do with penn's striking, beat down Hughes twice only losing the second fight from either an injury if the rib sepperation thing was true, sherk was a great fighter before he lost a few steps from aging. Diego although isn't really a top tier has never been destroyed that badly. I know the whole in and out of prime is pretty debatable and lots of times an excuse to try and write off any losses later in a career but I'm pretty sure as bj has grown older and having kids I don't think he's been all there for mma.

He was a huge fighter? yes. now, he deserves a shot with frankie? absolutelt not.
He is now overrated, he's not even a top 10 now

Only fighters he ever lost to in his actual weight class were Pulver and Edgar. All his other losses were to guys above his weight class in Hughes, Gsp x2, Diaz, Macdonald, and fuckin Lyoto Machida.

How you can be considered overrated by losing to a bunch of guys you shouldn't have been fighting to begin with is beyond me. If he was losing to a bunch of mid tier lightweights then I can see where the overrated label is coming from, but everyone he's lost to are all former champions and the only one who's not is the #2-3 WW in Rory (too lazy to look up the exact ranking right now). Penn is a fucking warrior and deserves all the respect in the world.

All that being said, War Penn.

You just completely misunderstood his post.

Yeah but your original post is garbage, mainly because it omits his most important wins. It's obvious that he isn't his former self, but his former self was great.

If BJ was fighting the Bonnars and Irvins of the WW division i'm sure he would have a 100% win ratio as well.

He fought the F Griffin's of the division (and some less than the S Griffin's of the div) and got his ass kicked.

Give Forrest more respect people. He was a LHW champion who beat prime rampage.

Thats better than most of the WW's who smashed Penn (aside from GSP, he has been beaten by many WWs who have never been champion)

Only fighters he ever lost to in his actual weight class were Pulver and Edgar. All his other losses were to guys above his weight class in Hughes, Gsp x2, Diaz, Macdonald, and fuckin Lyoto Machida.

How you can be considered overrated by losing to a bunch of guys you shouldn't have been fighting to begin with is beyond me. If he was losing to a bunch of mid tier lightweights then I can see where the overrated label is coming from, but everyone he's lost to are all former champions and the only one who's not is the #2-3 WW in Rory (too lazy to look up the exact ranking right now). Penn is a fucking warrior and deserves all the respect in the world.

All that being said, War Penn.

And people still don't understand why Fedor was great.

he beat prime hughes and gsp when gsp was still a fighter

His first victory over Hughes is probably the most significant win of his career. Hell, even though Hughes was shot in their third fight, I loved it when Penn came out and straight blitzed him. But with GSP, are you referring to their first fight when he lost via split decision? I have seen that fight a dozen times and I still don't see how so many people think that Penn "won". Also I am pretty sure GSP was still a fighter when he beat Penn so badly that he essentially gave up, GSP has yet to put on better performance since then IMO. Idiots like this guy who like to warp Penn's record by saying that he won the first GSP and Edgar fights really do more harm than good. Oh and Penn has no business fighting Edgar again, and if he can even make 145, and that is a big if, he will lose convincingly and likely fade away. None of that deters from the fact that he is an absolute warrior who has fought far larger men for a good portion of his career, and who is likely seen as the current LW goat due to his absolutely dominating performances in that division. He absolutely deserves to be mentioned along with Silva, GSP, Jones, and Fedor. His record may not be perfect but he has fought every top guy of his era, even when it was in his best interest not to, and that counts for a lot.

What people don't seem to get is that even with the first Edgar and GSP fight as losses, he is still in no way overrated.
I don't want to post everything that I've posted before but he has accomplished some great feats which haven't been copied by anyone except Randy Couture.

BJ also has wins over discussed lw and ww goats in Gomi and Hughes and a shitload of hall of famers to say it all in a nuttshell
which other fighter can claim to have wins over 2 argued goats in 2 divisions?

MMA fans should be more respectful and have more appreciation

Totally forgot about Gomi, back when everyone was crazy over Gomi and jmma penn was the only one who was able to get that cross over fight and just beat down Gomi who was ranked #1 lw for some time.

Back