Penn overrated?

This will drive the Penn nuthuggers crazy.

I do not question his warrior heart (amazing warrior, no fear and tough as nails).

And very skilled too - a highly dangerous first round fighter in particular.

But who has he really beaten? Even at LW when he was dominating he was beating Jenns Pulver (a natural fw), Joe daddy (mid-level), Sherk, sanchez and florian.

Impressive but I do not see him doing the same, even in his absolute prime, against the frankie edgars (who of course beat him twice while in his prime), benson hendersons, anthony pettises etc of the LW division. Penn was dominating a lesser breed, less skilled/talented bunch of fighters compared to the LWs of today.

overall he is 16-9 I think, although he is better than that record and a hall of famer but not among the truly great fighters IMO. That is, he is no GSP, A Silva, Fedor or J Jones.

Discuss rationally, or whine about it - up to you.
When Penn beat names like Pulver, Sherk, Hughes, Serra and Sanchez, they where the big and respected names of its time. If anything, Penns problem is that his career overlaps from one generation of fighters to another, making some of his big-name-wins, seem irrelevant for the modern fan, since they only see those fighters in retrospective, making them look like has-beens.

Of course he's overrated. I've been saying this for years. His"legendary" lw run was 5 fights and visited of guys like pulver and Stevenson. Ask why he's so great, and the first thing his fans bring up are his losses to justify how good he is. True sign of someone who is overrated.

2nd most overrated fighter of all time behind Randy

Lol, how is a 5 fight championship run in the UFC anything short of legendary? Especially if you look at the way he dominated all of those fights with ease?

Not to mention his wins against Matt Hughes(UFC WW champion, 2nd best WW ever) and TAkanori Gomi(#1 LW in the world)

Overrated by his nut huggers
Underrated by his haters
I think he is underrated. He still has the skill just not the drive he's still a great and can beat almost anyone

You give up because you have no good arguments and are too emotional - a typical Penn nuthugger

No I give up because you're ignorant and never went into detail into any of my posts.
And I'm not even a BJ Penn fan.

At least I don't discredit his career. Because BJ is imo one of the best wins of the guy in your avatar

How can you have a 2005 join date and say something so dumb. he beat the best available at the time. You will be able to say that about every champ because the sport evolves. The guys chuck beat in his title reign are no where near the guys Jones has beaten. the fighters evolve throughout time but it doesn't mean the old champs we're overrated

Think about it though - am I really underrating him, or just being fair. Its not like I said he was a run of the mill fighter. I think he one step below the top echelon (being the A Silva, GSPs, JBJs, Fedors etc). Most fighters are more than one step below.

If you're only saying that he's a step below the GOAT candidates, then that's fair enough, and how I see it as well... I don't think, however, that anyone, except for the most die-hard nut-huggers, really bring him into the GOAT discussions anymore.

So, because of that, I don't think he's overrated. He is, as you said, a step below the GOAT candidates. Still a legend and hall of fame material though. If anything, I think you're overestimating fans opinions on him.

No, he's not overrated at all. I still remember his warrior days when he had hair. In my humble opinion, Penn is the GOAT LW.

If you don't respect bj and what he has done throughout many generations of fighters then your simply a noob or a tap out shirt wearing tool

When Penn beat names like Pulver, Sherk, Hughes, Serra and Sanchez, they where the big and respected names of its time. If anything, Penns problem is that his career overlaps from one generation of fighters to another, making some of his big-name-wins, seem irrelevant for the modern fan, since they only see those fighters in retrospective, making them look like has-beens.

Not really, other than Hughes of course. It's just that most the top ranked lws werent in the ufc. Pulver serra and Stevenson shouldn't be considered that great if wins no matter when they happened

Overrated by his nut huggers
Underrated by his haters
I think he is underrated. He still has the skill just not the drive he's still a great and can beat almost anyone. I don't think he's as bad as his haters say, but he can be as good as his fans believe.

So TS is saying Penn is overrated because he never beat anyone(4-9 years ago) who is still relevant today.

In that case, Matt Hughes is overrated, Royce Gracie is overrated, and basically anyone who hasn't fought in a couple years is overrated.

And in a few years, when the next generation of fighters takes over, A. Silva, GSP and Fedor will be overrated too, by this logic.

The FACT is, BJ Penn beat(and in the cases of Lyoto and GSP, he at least made it competitive) the best in the world when he was in his prime. The fact that many of his old opponents are no longer the best in the world does not diminish his achievements.

And as someone said before, Penn is not currently considered top 10 in anyone's ranking's that I've ever seen, so I'm not sure how he is overrated.

Last edited:
Matt Hughes on that list? He's fighting the next generation now and he mite not do as well. But his time in the UFC was awesome. When he fought a lot of those guys, they were the top ranked competition at the time.

Lol, how is a 5 fight championship run in the UFC anything short of legendary? Especially if you look at the way he dominated all of those fights with ease?

Not to mention his wins against Matt Hughes(UFC WW champion, 2nd best WW ever) and TAkanori Gomi(#1 LW in the world)

Well for one, it was all a championship run. It was good ENTIRE run. Second, most of the top ranked LWs were outside the ufc. The UFCs LW division was terribly weak.

Yes he beat Hughes and Gomi. Great wins.

Still the best all-time LW, but I think the "motivated" shit is real and why he's overrated. I believe winning the Championship went to his head and goal of succeeding was his motivation and after that, defending wasn't enough, BJ needs to knock off the top guy as opposed to being the top guy. It's a fine line but that's how I see it. He missed his chance to maintain success and I think it's too late to repair the hindsight of his career.

Not really, other than Hughes of course. It's just that most the top ranked lws werent in the ufc. Pulver serra and Stevenson shouldn't be considered that great if wins no matter when they happened

2 of the 3 fighters you named were former UFC champions.
Stevenson is a TUF 2 winner with wins over Guillard, Pellegrino, Tibau and Diaz aka former or current top 10 lw's and has fought at ww and lw
And how do you count his win over Gomi? he is considered as the lw GOAT

Better than Dan's career???? Youre fucking crazy, not even close

BJ PEnn defended his titles, had many wins over #1 ranked guys, and was never on the winning side of a controversial split decision. Imo, that gives him a better career than decision Dan.

Yea the clown of a TS left out the first Hughes win, thats something that just cant be overlooked when discussing BJs career. Also the Gomi win, not to mention those wins that you dont consider that impressive in his LW run, were against guys that had reached the top of the division, and it wasnt just that BJ beat them but HOW he beat them. He dominated Sherk, Joe Daddy, Diego, the way he took out Florian made it look like he coulda done it at any time. For sure he's been overrated by weirdos like PB, but underrated by douches like the TS here

Back