Pearson vs Guillard : Illegal knees or not ?

I hate the rule, but its there.

Anyone saying the Knee was Legal simply because they do not like the rule is an idiot, it was illegal by the rules of the sport.

should it be changed, certainly, but do not embarrass yourselves by claiming it was legal when its not.

Thank you

It was legal. He started the knee strike before Ross's hand was on the mat. That makes it legal. It's not melvin's job to stop his attack if Ross manages to touch the mat just before the attack hits him.

Why wouldn't you make this thread with a poll. Otherwise the PBP thread suits the same purpose.

Pearson escaped an ass-whooping.

This fight really had the potential to be FOTN

He started the 2nd knee when the hand was up, but by that logic, he started throwing the 1st knee when the knee was down.

No contest is fine.

Seems to me like Ross was playing the game, and the fight should have continued.

By the letter of the rules it is illegal. But obviously it is BS because the rules are being gamed. Something needs to be done to the rules so that referees are on the same page, it is not acceptable for some refs to allow it and some not.

I think Mark Goddard made the right call to stop it, he was bang on in his awareness of what was happening. He was probably just going to give a warning or dock a point if it wasn't for the bad cut.

Guillard continuing to throw knees in that position is just stupid. No one cares what you "think"- the fact of the rules are clear. With Pearson in that position where his hands are so close to the floor Melvin should switch to punches. Knees are just begging for something like this to happen.

I have no idea about the rules but based on people saying it was illegal I assume the rule is that all the matters in time of contact because Melvin starting throwing it just before the hand was down.

If it hasn't been posted yet....

m222.gif

Melvin was stupid to throw the knees given the very high likelihood that Ross was more than likely not a grounded fighter. Even if he didn't have his knee or hand down - the anti-knee to a grounded fighter rule is there to protect Ross in that leveraged position regardless of having a knee or hand down or not. Huntched over, kneeling on one knee - you don't throw a knee hoping that he might not have a knee or hand down.

People moaning are idiots. It's not Pearson's fault and it's not the ref's fault. A rule is a rule, the second knee that cut him was clearly illegal. It's a stupid rule but it is still a rule.

One of them things.

You are British

objectivity compromised

Hopefully there will be several hundred more posts saying "stupid rule".

If it hasn't been posted yet....

m222.gif

At first I thought pearson was "playing the game" but actually it looks like he might have been trying to gain some balance as he was being pushed downwards.

I don't think that rule is stupid at all. Fighter safety is important.
I was really edited for this fight too! Damnn what a shame.

Fighter safety is important, but I don't think it's particularly relevant here.

Back