PC Videocard : Nvidia or AMD/ATI ?

What is the better card for you ?

• Total voters
3440x1440.. Witcher 3 on max settings I get around 60fps for example.

well to be fair that engine is rather powerful.

i'm gonna get one, but ill wait tell the kingpin or hybrid drops

Can anyone help me, I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card either the rx480 or gtx 1060?

Are they easy to fit and how can I found out if it will work with my pc?

I've currently got a raedon 7870 2gb card.
Processor is amd fx-6300 6 core 3.5ghz
500w power supply
16gb of ddr3 ram
Windows 10
Motherboard is an as rock 960gm

If you need any more info let me know

Can anyone help me, I'm thinking of buying a new graphics card either the rx480 or gtx 1060?

Are they easy to fit and how can I found out if it will work with my pc?

I've currently got a raedon 7870 2gb card.
Processor is amd fx-6300 6 core 3.5ghz
500w power supply
16gb of ddr3 ram
Windows 10
Motherboard is an as rock 960gm

If you need any more info let me know
It's a price point decision unless you do 90% of your gaming on a particular game or set of games (which may favor drivers heavily towards NVIDIA or AMD).

They are about as close to identical in terms of horsepower as you will ever see two cards get:

Firestrike Average
A5ejTv.png

You're actually considering four different cards with this decision:
  • RX 480 4GB
  • GTX 1060 3GB
  • RX 480 8GB
  • GTX 1060 6GB
So tell us what the best prices are that are available in your market, or tell us your market (what country you're from so we can assess the best sellers near to your region).

3440x1440.. Witcher 3 on max settings I get around 60fps for example.
We have basically the same setups but my 980ti is a hybrid, and I know the 980 Ti benefited a lot from aftermarket coolers. I am getting around 75 most of the time in the Witcher 3 with mine, though it does dip into the low 60s at times. In the Tom's review I just read of the 1080 Ti, it said it is limited by thermals so I think it would be wise to wait on the aftermarket versions.

It's a price point decision unless you do 90% of your gaming on a particular game or set of games (which may favor drivers heavily towards NVIDIA or AMD).

They are about as close to identical in terms of horsepower as you will ever see two cards get:

Firestrike Average
A5ejTv.png

You're actually considering four different cards with this decision:
  • RX 480 4GB
  • GTX 1060 3GB
  • RX 480 8GB
  • GTX 1060 6GB
So tell us what the best prices are that are available in your market, or tell us your market (what country you're from so we can assess the best sellers near to your region).

Thanks Mick, and I'm from the UK I've been looking on amazon and they both seem to be similar price, game wise I'll play which ever I fancy can be from counter strike to beam.ng litterally anything, I don't need a really top end card for VR, as im not planning on investing.

Is my processor fine or is it quite a slow one?

Thanks Mick, and I'm from the UK I've been looking on amazon and they both seem to be similar price, game wise I'll play which ever I fancy can be from counter strike to beam.ng litterally anything, I don't need a really top end card for VR, as im not planning on investing.
I just ask because if you're one of those guys who spend 90% playing a single game, and that game happens to be one that is like 10% better with drivers from NVIDIA, for example, then it makes your purchase choice a no-brainer. Buy from the company that leaps ahead in the game of your choice. Ultimately, though, one should always keep in mind that drivers are always subject to revision.
Is my processor fine or is it quite a slow one?

Your processor is fine. It doesn't have great per-thread performance for gaming at stock frequency, but you're not being choked by the CPU, almost certainly, in almost any game or situation. That was the value king @~$110 here in the states for a good while up until around 18 months ago or so; particularly for those running value-minded overclocking gear (ex. $30 Hyper 212 EVO with which apparently @4.2GHz is rather bulletproof). It's definitely not worth it to upgrade to any other CPU on that socket, but it doesn't cost you anything to plug your new GPU in and see if you're displeased with anything in your current system, after all. If some game's playback was unsatisfactory, and you came back to determine it was the CPU with us, then you would order a new motherboard, processor, and DDR4 RAM; followed by pulling out the video card, and plugging it into this new motherboard.

Bookmark Userbenchmark. It's the single best reference for gamers (everything about their "effective speed" rankings is about trying to determine the best theoretical performance towards gaming):
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/
  • 87th in "Effective Speed" (85th in "Avg QC Mixed")
    • best idea of gaming performance with these
  • 67th in "Avg MC Mixed"
    • overall performance (comparing processors at stock frequency; in this case 3.5GHz)
If you do end up upgrading that processor you'll want to look at only the i5-7500 or stronger processors among today's crop. Anything less wouldn't be worth the expense. Tom's Hardware used to offer the nice rule of thumb that it would be worth it to upgrade your CPU when your new CPU was at least four tiers above it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

Take a glimpse. The i5-7500 is virtually identical to the i5-6500 (its predecessor), and this is how it stacks up against the FX-6300:

Last edited:
I just ask because if you're one of those guys who spend 90% playing a single game, and that game happens to be one that is like 10% better with drivers from NVIDIA, for example, then it makes your purchase choice a no-brainer. Buy from the company that leaps ahead in the game of your choice. Ultimately, though, one should always keep in mind that drivers are always subject to revision.

Your processor is fine. It doesn't have great per-thread performance for gaming at stock frequency, but you're not being choked by the CPU, almost certainly, in almost any game or situation. That was the value king @~$110 here in the states for a good while up until around 18 months ago or so; particularly for those running value-minded overclocking gear (ex. $30 Hyper 212 EVO with which apparently @4.2GHz is rather bulletproof). It's definitely not worth it to upgrade to any other CPU on that socket, but it doesn't cost you anything to plug your new GPU in and see if you're displeased with anything in your current system, after all. If some game's playback was unsatisfactory, and you came back to determine it was the CPU with us, then you would order a new motherboard, processor, and DDR4 RAM; followed by pulling out the video card, and plugging it into this new motherboard.

Bookmark Userbenchmark. It's the single best reference for gamers (everything about their "effective speed" rankings is about trying to determine the best theoretical performance towards gaming):
http://cpu.userbenchmark.com/
  • 87th in "Effective Speed" (85th in "Avg QC Mixed")
    • best idea of gaming performance with these
  • 67th in "Avg MC Mixed"
    • overall performance (comparing processors at stock frequency; in this case 3.5GHz)
If you do end up upgrading that processor you'll want to look at only the i5-7500 or stronger processors among today's crop. Anything less wouldn't be worth the expense. Tom's Hardware used to offer the nice rule of thumb that it would be worth it to upgrade your CPU when your new CPU was at least four tiers above it:
http://www.tomshardware.com/reviews/cpu-hierarchy,4312.html

Take a glimpse. The i5-7500 is virtually identical to the i5-6500 (its predecessor), and this is how it stacks up against the FX-6300:

Thanks for the info, is their any other graphics cards with in say a £250 budget you would recommend?

I'm usually light years behind in terms of PC, before I bought the above computer less than 2 years ago, I was using a nvidia 9800 GTX+ and the old intel Q6600 ever since probably 2009 ish lol.

We have basically the same setups but my 980ti is a hybrid, and I know the 980 Ti benefited a lot from aftermarket coolers. I am getting around 75 most of the time in the Witcher 3 with mine, though it does dip into the low 60s at times. In the Tom's review I just read of the 1080 Ti, it said it is limited by thermals so I think it would be wise to wait on the aftermarket versions.
What resolution and settings are you running? I have the Zotac Amp Extreme 980ti. Maxed settings with no AA (I think) @3440x1440.

Other hardware:
CPU: 4790K @4.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD in RAID-0

Actually. I just thought of something. I am running quite a few mods and ENB filters. I bet that is dropping it some too.

What resolution and settings are you running? I have the Zotac Amp Extreme 980ti. Maxed settings with no AA (I think) @3440x1440.

Other hardware:
CPU: 4790K @4.5GHz, 16GB RAM, 1TB SSD in RAID-0

Actually. I just thought of something. I am running quite a few mods and ENB filters. I bet that is dropping it some too.
3440, on thep predator as well. I can't remember the settings exactly anymore, but I may have dialed it back in a few spots to keep I think around 75 but it was basically maxed

4790k also, 16gb ram and running off an add not in raid.

Thanks for the info, is their any other graphics cards with in say a £250 budget you would recommend?

I'm usually light years behind in terms of PC, before I bought the above computer less than 2 years ago, I was using a nvidia 9800 GTX+ and the old intel Q6600 ever since probably 2009 ish lol.
No, at that budget, you're considering the clear two options.

The next step up is the GTX 1070 (unless, for some reason, over in Britain, the Fury X or Nano were cheaper... but they're weaker cards, and over here, the few models you can find are way more expensive than 1070's).

Whichever works for you. I'd use either, just depends on price and what you want.

All depends on how much you want to spend and what resolution you are tying to game at. Looking at the prices I see listed for an R9 390X it really close to a GTX 1070. The 1070 blows the R9 390X away. An RX 480 is only slightly behind and 390X in performance and is going to be cheaper.
I haven an RX 480 Red Devil. I got it because in big part it was decently priced, does what I need, and runs cooler than the other 480 cards, and my system is setup to run as cool as possible because I don't have air conditioning, haha.

I had an option on my old ATI card so that
you connect two screens but show video on only one
and desktop or browser on the other.

It was called Theater mode or Cinema mode .
I'm not sure if the new driver software of the 480 has that.
Would be sweet.

I put an AMD card in my very first build, and I almost didn't care for PC gaming because I just kept having issues. I've never had a major issue since switching to Nvidia. Obviously major releases have people from both camps running into issues, so I don't want to pretend that Nvidia is infallible; but it's hard not to go with what's done me right in the past.

No, at that budget, you're considering the clear two options.

The next step up is the GTX 1070 (unless, for some reason, over in Britain, the Fury X or Nano were cheaper... but they're weaker cards, and over here, the few models you can find are way more expensive than 1070's).
Thanks for the info, I'll probably get one fairly soon, are they easy to fit? I've fitted ram and hard drives before but never a gpu change

I had an option on my old ATI card so that
you connect two screens but show video on only one
and desktop or browser on the other.

It was called Theater mode or Cinema mode .
I'm not sure if the new driver software of the 480 has that.
Would be sweet.

All cards now offer dual monitor support. The software is different now, but it's basically the same setup.

@Zezima The video above shows how to install a graphics card.

I put an AMD card in my very first build, and I almost didn't care for PC gaming because I just kept having issues. I've never had a major issue since switching to Nvidia. Obviously major releases have people from both camps running into issues, so I don't want to pretend that Nvidia is infallible; but it's hard not to go with what's done me right in the past.
What card and issues did you keep seeing? I've used AMD GPU's in my last three builds(5770, r7 370, RX 480) and only ran into one driver problem with one game with the r7.

What card and issues did you keep seeing? I've used AMD GPU's in my last three builds(5770, r7 370, RX 480) and only ran into one driver problem with one game with the r7.
If memory serves, it was a 5870. I specifically remember having problems running Dawn of War 2 well. Things like the frame rate slowing to a crawl and the occasional black screen that new drivers and clean installs wouldn't fix (I recall this happening across multiple games). I think I replaced it with a 580, and that improved things almost immediately.

It was my first build though, so I'm not going to lay everything at AMD's feet.

Edit: Bad Company 2 also ran pretty poorly, I think.

If memory serves, it was a 5870. I specifically remember having problems running Dawn of War 2 well. Things like the frame rate slowing to a crawl and the occasional black screen that new drivers and clean installs wouldn't fix (I recall this happening across multiple games). I think I replaced it with a 580, and that improved things almost immediately.

It was my first build though, so I'm not going to lay everything at AMD's feet.

Edit: Bad Company 2 also ran pretty poorly, I think.
the one game I had problems with was dawn of war2 as well. That's the game that made me upgrade from the 5770 to the R7 370.

Back