PC Videocard : Nvidia or AMD/ATI ?

What is the better card for you ?

• Total voters
I think the RX480 Nitro 4GB will do fine for 1920x1080 gaming

I think the RX480 Nitro 4GB will do fine for 1920x1080 gaming
My RX 480 plays all 1080p games on ultra/max settings and never dips below 70fps. It also only uses 3gb of the card. Now if you want to go up to 4k it drops to 20-30 fps at max setting on most games and uses over 5gb of the card.

So you should be fine if you're sticking to 1080p.

I have the MSI Gaming X 8gb card running in OC mode if that matters.

The Saphyre version of the 480 also has two
'display ports' , two HDMI and one DVI

Who here uses that display port ?

1j3igh.png

On a different forum I had been reading, it was mentioned to be highly unlikely for the Vega cards to outperform the 1080 Ti, thoughts? I'd been waiting for them to come around but as I'm going to aim for the strongest card rather than best performance/dollar, that might be pointless now.

Thanks for the info, I'll probably get one fairly soon, are they easy to fit? I've fitted ram and hard drives before but never a gpu change
Depends on your case and the card, but if you're on ATX and you don't have some massive CPU cooler in there or a bunch of other PCIe cards, then it's rare you'll have space issues.

It's always good to reference motherboard layout & size and eyeball it against physical specs of GPU and RAM to double check, but you're not looking at the sort of cards that are typically monsters, and there hasn't been a generation with 13"+ (33cm+) cards in a while. They make an effort to design everything so that all GPUs and RAM will work together without clearance issues so long as you aren't rocking components that are the PC Builder's version of Flava Flav's oversized gold grill.

On a different forum I had been reading, it was mentioned to be highly unlikely for the Vega cards to outperform the 1080 Ti, thoughts? I'd been waiting for them to come around but as I'm going to aim for the strongest card rather than best performance/dollar, that might be pointless now.
It doesn't seem likely considering the architecture we saw with Zen, no, but it's impossible for me to know (and without knowing to predict the future).

Depends on your case and the card, but if you're on ATX and you don't have some massive CPU cooler in there or a bunch of other PCIe cards, then it's rare you'll have space issues.

It's always good to reference motherboard layout & size and eyeball it against physical specs of GPU and RAM to double check, but you're not looking at the sort of cards that are typically monsters, and there hasn't been a generation with 13"+ (33cm+) cards in a while. They make an effort to design everything so that all GPUs and RAM will work together without clearance issues so long as you aren't rocking components that are the PC Builder's version of Flava Flav's oversized gold grill.
If you type in longhorn pc case on google image it's the first image, it's a big case, failing that I can use my old pc case which is much bigger, I've not got anything else apart from the standard components

If you type in longhorn pc case on google image it's the first image, it's a big case, failing that I can use my old pc case which is much bigger, I've not got anything else apart from the standard components
You should be fine.

I use a DP cable to get 60Hz freesync at UHD using my r9 380.

If your monitor and card have DP, there's no reason to not use it going forward.

The Saphyre version of the 480 also has two
'display ports' , two HDMI and one DVI

Who here uses that display port ?

1j3igh.png

Back