PC Videocard : Nvidia or AMD/ATI ?

What is the better card for you ?

• Total voters

Joe_Armstrong

Starfleet Belt
@Gold
Reaction score
What is the best one coming for the same class of videocards ?
Do you care ? I personally like ATI because they have good
multiple screen settings.So I'm an AMD guy.
I once returned a card to the PC shop because Nvida had bad
dual screen software.

I'm currently looking to buy the AMD Radeon R9 390x card

I've had both. Never really had a problem. I'll go for whatever gives me the most value.

I like Nvidia personally but my best friend runs with an AMD card and can handle things on Ultra settings just fine.

I still use some software that doesn't support openCL all that well, so I kinda need the cuda.
Just waiting for the 1080 ti release, money's burning a fuckin hole in my pocket.

Also I've not had an ati/amd card without experiencing driver issues since like 96 when I got my first Rage.
Maybe they're better now, newest one I have atm is a 5650m card which is pretty ancient.

Hard to say, the VEGA cards seem extremely powerful.

All depends on how much you want to spend and what resolution you are tying to game at. Looking at the prices I see listed for an R9 390X it really close to a GTX 1070. The 1070 blows the R9 390X away. An RX 480 is only slightly behind and 390X in performance and is going to be cheaper.

I've always been an ATI guy but the GTX1060 is the sweet spot in the speed/power consumption/price.

Always been an Nvidia guy since 3dfx went under. I still have a Zotac GTX 260 in an XP build at my dad's house and it's never given me any problems.

I've always been an ATI guy but the GTX1060 is the sweet spot in the speed/power consumption/price.
Yeah it's almost perfect for 1080p/60fps gaming (probably not the 3gb version though).

What is the best one coming for the same class of videocards ?
Do you care ? I personally like ATI because they have good
multiple screen settings.So I'm an AMD guy.
I once returned a card to the PC shop because Nvida had bad
dual screen software.

I'm currently looking to buy the AMD Radeon R9 390x card

Unless you're getting a heck of a used deal, go with either a rx480 or gtx 1060. Power consumption alone is a bigger factor, that 290x is a power hungry beast. IIRC it's 300 watts.

Unless you're getting a heck of a used deal, go with either a rx480 or gtx 1060. Power consumption alone is a bigger factor, that 290x is a power hungry beast. IIRC it's 300 watts.
Yeah, the 390x really is pathetic when it comes to performance/watt.
Hopefully Vega gets that right, but I assume it'll be good considering how much the rx 480 can do with just 150W.

Yeah, the 390x really is pathetic when it comes to performance/watt.
Hopefully Vega gets that right, but I assume it'll be good considering how much the rx 480 can do with just 150W.

Yeah, just a quick google search reveals most card manufacturers recommend a 750w power supply *eek*. I was running 7870's crossfired with a 750w and it was struggling.
The 1070's only have a 8 pin.

Even today, a 7870 by itself is a beast of a card.

With some overclocking, it is now named the R9-270x.

I've narrowed it down to two models

The 390x and the RX480
RX480 has Virtual Reality.

But what I want is to switch video on the second screen.
I have 2 HDTV's (known before as theater mode)

If anybody knows this stuff, let me know.

Last edited:
Even an r7 370 4gb can run what you're asking for.

Not much of a PC gamer, but I've always used Nvidia since I started. Creature of habit I guess

I personally wouldn't get the 390x. It's last gen tech and is power hungry.
Check to make sure what type of connections your tv's has. I'm not up to date on tv's, but I don't think many come with display ports unless they're high end.
If your tv's doesn't have display ports, you will have to get a card with 2 HDMI ports unless you want to use an adapter.
display_connectors_0.png

480's with dual HDMI ports
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#c=370&r=8192&H=2,3

Nvidia's options in the same range
https://pcpartpicker.com/products/video-card/#H=2,3&c=373

As for a card choice, pick one that looks nice to you. They all perform close enough that you wouldn't notice the difference in a side by side comparison unless you plan on manually overclocking.
Sapphire only offers a 2 year warranty where MSI and Asus offer a 3 year.

Last edited:
Back