PC Videocard : Nvidia or AMD/ATI ?

What is the better card for you ?

• Total voters
I have the MSI 8gb RX480 and it maxes out the settings in every game I play no problem.
I've been thinking of getting that one but I might wait for Vega... I dunno lol

The RX480 4gb nitro by Saphyre has 2 HDMI's, 2 Display ports and a DVI
I never heard about display port.
Must be the new VGA.

Really thinking I don't need the extra 4GB on the more
expensive version of the RX480.

Okay I think I will buy a RX480.

There is nitro 8gb version available by Saphyre.

I think 4gb is enough.. is like $70 differenfce for 8 GB
That's weird. Historically I've seen the 4GB ones start for $190-$210, and the 8GB versions start for $220-225.

I've learned from reviews that the 480 probably really can't
handle 4K on full settings.
Maybe the Nitro 8gb version can.

But I'm sure now I don't want a 390X

I've learned from reviews that the 480 probably really can't
handle 4K on full settings.
Maybe the Nitro 8gb version can.

But I'm sure now I don't want a 390X
No way. RX 480 is a 1080p card. Nothing out there can truly handle 4K Ultra for the most challenging games and maintain an appreciable framerate.
  • x2 SLI GTX Titan Pascal
  • x2 SLI GTX 1080 Ti
Those are the minimum GPU setups that could eat through something like Crysis 3 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution on 4K...which means they're effectively the only setups that can do it.

Below is what a single GTX Titan Pascal can do with that game on Ultra (with an i7-6700K overclocked @4.5GHz and 16GB DDR4-3000MHz RAM):

crysis3_3840_2160.png

Here's the new GTX 1080 Ti on top of an i7-7700K @4.8GHz with 16GB of DDR4-3000MHz RAM:

deusex_3840_2160.png

No way. RX 480 is a 1080p card. Nothing out there can truly handle 4K Ultra for the most challenging games and maintain an appreciable framerate.
  • x2 SLI GTX Titan Pascal
  • x2 SLI GTX 1080 Ti
Those are the minimum GPU setups that could eat through something like Crysis 3 or Deus Ex: Human Revolution on 4K...which means they're effectively the only setups that can do it.

Below is what a single GTX Titan Pascal can do with that game on Ultra (with an i7-6700K overclocked @4.5GHz and 16GB DDR4-3000MHz RAM):

crysis3_3840_2160.png

Here's the new GTX 1080 Ti on top of an i7-7700K @4.8GHz with 16GB of DDR4-3000MHz RAM:

deusex_3840_2160.png

Then I don't think I will go with 8gb but with 4gb on a RX480
It won't make much difference since I will play upto 1440 res

Then I don't think I will go with 8gb but with 4gb on a RX480
It won't make much difference since I will play upto 1440 res
Going forward I think the 8GB will matter a great deal if you only get a single card and you like gaming at 1440p. Think ahead, not just in the moment. Memory demands are exploding; it almost feels logarithmic at times. Plus if you ever want to get into modding...it tends to be a memory hog.

If the difference is only $30 I wouldn't personally hesitate to snatch the 8GB version. If $80 is the difference the 4GB is definitely the better deal, and I wouldn't waste my cash on the upgrade.

Going forward I think the 8GB will matter a great deal if you only get a single card and you like gaming at 1440p. Think ahead, not just in the moment. Memory demands are exploding; it almost feels logarithmic at times. Plus if you ever want to get into modding...it tends to be a memory hog.

If the difference is only $30 I wouldn't personally hesitate to snatch the 8GB version. If $80 is the difference the 4GB is definitely the better deal, and I wouldn't waste my cash on the upgrade.

Difference is 70 Euros, that's $80 I think.
I'll think about it since I'm also buying a i7 6700 processor.
I'm ordering a custom PC.
Thanks for the advice.

It's recommended to have an 8gb card to do any 4k gaming.

I've always regretted when I went ATI/AMD over the years. The drivers were never good and I had bad luck with the hardware. I've never had an issue period with Nvidia. The 1060/70/80 are great cards and you can't go wrong with them. The new AMD cards look solid but they need several years of good reviews, support and drivers before I would give them another chance. Things do look up on the up for them though.

This was my experience as well. I tried ATI on two seperate occassions back in the early and late 2000's. It was one of those situations where the ATI option was much better than the Nvidia option at the same price point so I did the conscious consumer move and bought the more economical choice. What I found was atrocious driver support from ATI, my system always crashed for weird display driver issues. The best drivers were 3rd party from Omega drivers who did it part time as a hobby. I have a G-Sync monitor so I probably will never buy an ATI card unless something drastic happens in the industry.

You're more vigilant than me. I hadn't seen a sale like that. Damn. Buy two and crossfire, holy shit.
They don't have it on sale now but EVGA offers B stock 1070's for $310 regularly with a coupon.

It's recommended to have an 8gb card to do any 4k gaming.
Yes, but I just pointed out the RX 480 isn't sufficient for 4K gaming regardless of how much VRAM you shove on it (it's just not fast enough), and Joe just pointed out that he prefers gaming on 1440p.
They don't have it on sale now but EVGA offers B stock 1070's for $310 regularly with a coupon.
Who supplies the coupon? That sounds dynamite.

Last edited:
Yes, but I just pointed out the RX 400 isn't sufficient for 4K gaming regardless of how much VRAM you shove on it (it's just not fast enough), and Joe just pointed out that he prefers gaming on 1440p.

Who supplies the coupon? That sounds dynamite.
It's an insta type one.

THe 1080ti looks like the shit. I will probably get one. My 980ti cant max out my 100hz monitor on some games.

Back