Opinions on a handgun.

And to the poster above I dont ever intend on pulling it out to scare people. Thats what I always told my friends "if crazy shits going down and I have a gun and you see me aiming it at someone you might wanna close your eyes" lol

I was never one to shy away from a fight but Ive been in a few situations were I really wished I had a gun. Even if it was just to get people away from me.
Might want to think about that, son.

And the Springfield Mil-Spec gets my vote.

Only draw if you're going to fire. That said, if you draw and the perp immediately says fuck this and turns to run off, the threat is ended.

Forgot to add, if you're really looking into a 1911 the STI Spartan is hands down the best entry level 1911 currently on the market. It was priced at about $600 which is pretty reasonable for a 1911, but with the gun market explosion after Obama got elected I'm not sure on the price anymore. The SA Mil-Spec is a sexy pistol though.

As a canadian its almost impossible to own a handgun. So when I was 19 and lived in the innercity I bought one illegally from a neo-nazi gun dealer I knew. An HK USP .45 I had it for 6 weeks, never used it once, and ended up selling it back to him for half the price because the thing frightened me.

Ive fired guns my whole life, I hunt with a compound bow. But something about that handgun didnt make me feel comfortable (besides the severe legal penalties for having it in my possesion). Like they say, if your prepared to pull it out, be prepared to use it.

I know the OT has no intention of killing people, those are just my personal feelings about handguns. Id rather pack around a knife for my personal saftey, handguns have a spirit.

You realize that you're just as fucked (legally) if you use a knife for self defense, right? Canadian law sucks, we can't even use pepper spray against other human beings. We can only defend ourselves with equal force and we must seek escape at the first opportunity.

:icon_neut

I carry a folding knife too, but it's primarily for utility, although it is capable for a defensive situation if its absolutely necessary, I don't planning on using it as such unless it was an absolute life-or-death situation.

You realize that you're just as fucked (legally) if you use a knife for self defense, right? Canadian law sucks, we can't even use pepper spray against other human beings. We can only defend ourselves with equal force and we must seek escape at the first opportunity.

:icon_neut

I carry a folding knife too, but it's primarily for utility, although it is capable for a defensive situation if its absolutely necessary, I don't planning on using it as such unless it was an absolute life-or-death situation.

not true...you are allowed to us as much force as necessary .....sec 25 of the Criminal Code. You have to be able to explain and defend the force you used.....

not true...you are allowed to us as much force as necessary .....sec 25 of the Criminal Code. You have to be able to explain and defend the force you used.....

Either way, handguns, knives, pepper spray, batons, and tasers are all not permitted for the use of self defense against other human beings. If you shoot someone in self defense in your own house, in Canada, aside from manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon, etc. you're charged with improper storage and carry of a firearm.

I generally enjoy being Canadian, I just dislike not being able to legally defend myself in most cases.

Either way, handguns, knives, pepper spray, batons, and tasers are all not permitted for the use of self defense against other human beings. If you shoot someone in self defense in your own house, in Canada, aside from manslaughter, assault with a deadly weapon, etc. you're charged with improper storage and carry of a firearm.

I generally enjoy being Canadian, I just dislike not being able to legally defend myself in most cases.

You're never going to have to use a gun to defend yourself.

One handgun I was looking into, for economical purposes was the FNP 9. Lifetime warranty and all that and priced around $400-500.

fnh_hg_fnp9_black.jpg

I meant to point out that Im not going to carry it to be a badass the world is just getting more and more fucked by the day and theres alot of weird shit that goes on. If someone came up to fight me I wouldnt pull my gun on him. But if him and four of his buddies come up trying to fight then ill show my gun to them. And if they dont clear the area and one of em makes a move like hes going to pull his own then I would fire I dont care if he has one or not.

One handgun I was looking into, for economical purposes was the FNP 9. Lifetime warranty and all that and priced around $400-500.

fnh_hg_fnp9_black.jpg

Thats a nice looking gun. Im gonna look into these

Just save yourself some time and go ahead and get a Glock 19.

Just save yourself some time and go ahead and get a Glock 19.

This...put +P gold dots or double taps in it and you are all set. On the flipside if you are not carrying and want an awesome revolver for under a grand, go with a S&W 686 SSR. It's the nicest non-custom revolver I have ever shot. Power of 357 but you can practice with 38.

I would 100% recommend a Glock as your first pistol. You can't get anything easier.

Depending in how well a shooter you are, I'd go with the G19 or G23. I would recommended the G23 as it's a .40 caliber and packs a tad better punch, but you have to be able to follow up with the higher recoil too.

If you have bigger hands you might not want a glock. Personally they don't feel stable to me because of the short grip. I use my sig sauer.45 p220 more than my other guns. It shoots very nice, the kick isn't to bad, the grip is nice and it is very simple to break down and clean.

The FNP 9 is a well reviewed pistol:

The FNP 9 is a well reviewed pistol:

That dude has a love affair with the Glock 17. My Glock 17 has never failed to fire or eject is light and small enough to carry (not my first choice but doable) but with the sight radius of a 1911 government sized pistol. I guess I also have a love affair with it as well.

That dude has a love affair with the Glock 17. My Glock 17 has never failed to fire or eject is light and small enough to carry (not my first choice but doable) but with the sight radius of a 1911 government sized pistol. I guess I also have a love affair with it as well.

I know, but he's got valid reasons; firepower, weight, durability, reliability, accuracy, simplicity etc. It's generally his frame of reference which he compares all modern pistol designs against. I reluctantly began drinking the "Glock Kool Aid" after a bunch of trigger time with various Glocks and his reviews. I remember hating the grip angle when I first shot it, but time and again, I ended up shooting Glocks better than I do any other pistol.

Here's the Nutnfancy Glock 17 review:

Back