Opinions on a handgun.

Discussion in 'Weapons and Tactics' started by Scrody, Oct 28, 2009.

1. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    As I am going to be turning 21 soon Im looking to get myself a pistol.

Im undecided on what kind I want. I like revolvers at heart and really have my eye on either one of these.

Smith and Wesson 686

Its a .357 Magnum able to fire .38s as well. Stainless steel but heres the catch you get 7 shots instead of 6. About $600

But theres also this.

The Smith and Wesson Model 25

The main reason I want one of these is because its a .45 revolver. I want a large handgun because I intend on hunting more big game in my life and I want an efficient pistol at my side. These are more pricey(Around $800) and rightfully so because its a true hand cannon.

But then I find myself thinking about an automatic(I will own all these guns one day either way) so heres my ideas on those.

The Springfield XDM9
    Its a 9mm handgun and although Ive heard questionable things about 9mm I wouldnt get this pistol in anything larger. Ive shot the XD .45 and I thought that the frame of the gun was a bit too small for the .45 cartridge. I think one of these in 9mm is a good buy because its around $650 after tax. And they have a lifetime warranty.

But then Im drawn back to a bigger automatic. I like the .45 round in a handgun as long as its not a smaller gun which is where I came across this.
    Springfield 1911
    I like the classic look of the 1911 and Ive always wanted one exactly like this. Also pretty cheap around $600 after tax

What say you sherdoggers? What should Scrody buy as his first pistol?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2013
  2. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    ???

Last edited: Nov 15, 2013
  3. Lord of Lies Brown Belt

Lord of Lies
    For a revolver, .357 is the way to go. As you noted, you can also shoot .38 Special out of it. I'm basing this off of you probably just wanting a handgun to shoot/self-defense/range, etc. and not for hunting.

For a semi-auto, 9mm or .45 ACP. XD, Glock, S&W M&P, etc. Whatever fits your hand and that you can shoot accurately. While I like 1911's, they're usually not as reliable out of the box as the newer semi's are (especially a $600 one).

jericksen5 likes this.
  4. sethk Sho ho ho nuff

sethk
    1911, no question. Look at Kimber (that's what I got so I'm partial to them), definitely not 600 bucks though..I think their cheapest models run in the 900 dollar range with most of their pistols being $1,000 plus.

5. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    Yeah alot of people have told me kimber. I do like the springfield just because its pretty basic. But I think ill end up going with the 686. for the price its definetly worth it. Theres a gun store by my work that sells em in 2.5,4 and 6 inch barrels. that or the XD. Fuck I dunno lol

6. Lord of Lies Brown Belt

Lord of Lies
    You know the real answer: buy both the 686 and the XD.

7. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    Haha you can never have too many pistols on your belt.

8. jlagman Duty Belt

jlagman
    Buy the one you're deadliest with.

9. younggunz working it on out

younggunz
    Are you using it for self defense?
    The answer is simple...buy the gun you can afford to practice with.
    I own an XD.40 and a Kimber ultra carry 2 subcompact....I love them both, but I shoot the XD more simply because .45 is more expensive.

10. jlagman Duty Belt

jlagman
    That's a great point, with the price of ammo nowadays, it's hard to hate on the 9x19mm. Besides, hollow points take care of any power discrepancies between calibres.

ZapatasGuns likes this.
  11. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    True the 9mm is more common. Ill go with the XD. Im probably going to be getting a .357 revolver for cheap anyways if not free. The XD just has too many bullets to say no.

12. sethk Sho ho ho nuff

sethk
    xd's are nice man. just 1911s are the sweetness. wish i could find any sort of ammo now a days... :( haha shit!

13. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody

Haha theres a gun shop by my work that pretty legit. All there stuff is aimed towards self defense theres very few hunting rifles in there :icon_chee:icon_twis. I can buy 1000 rounds of .223 for about 400 bucks

14. Valentine Wolff Blue Belt

Valentine Wolff
    As a canadian its almost impossible to own a handgun. So when I was 19 and lived in the innercity I bought one illegally from a neo-nazi gun dealer I knew. An HK USP .45 I had it for 6 weeks, never used it once, and ended up selling it back to him for half the price because the thing frightened me.

Ive fired guns my whole life, I hunt with a compound bow. But something about that handgun didnt make me feel comfortable (besides the severe legal penalties for having it in my possesion). Like they say, if your prepared to pull it out, be prepared to use it.

I know the OT has no intention of killing people, those are just my personal feelings about handguns. Id rather pack around a knife for my personal saftey, handguns have a spirit.

15. SuperOx Blue Belt

SuperOx
    I own a Springfield Armory XD40. One of my friends owns a USP45, Springfield XD9 w/ thumb safety, Ruger Blackhawk and a few shotguns. I love my XD40, it never jams, smooth trigger action with the right amount of crispness and weight and is ultra reliable, low maintenance and is easy to field strip.

16. jerrylundergard Green Belt

jerrylundergard
    They were right, you NEED both a revolver and a semiauto.

I say scrap the 357 mag idea. Great round but heres my thought, go straight for the 6 inch dirty ffooking harry 44 mag. Why? Cause your also gonna get the glock 23 40 cal. XD is ok but dont think its as reliable in all depts as a glock. SW is good but still would rather have the gold standard, Glock!

40 cal and 357 have some overlap in balistics. Even thought the 357mag handloads can be pushed fasteer than a 40, you can get good speed outa 155gr 40sw at 1200fps. Plenty for the midweights.

That durty harry 44 will do about any other work youll need from your handgunz AND its cool as hell, noisy, funner to shoot and blow shit up with.

17. Ralff Yellow Belt

Ralff
    It doesn't matter which one you buy, you'll end up with others sooner or later. It's an addiction. :icon_chee

I'm partial to Glocks myself, but any of the ones mentioned are good pistols. I will say that the only Kimber I owned was a piece of shit out of the box. After sending it back to Kimber twice it was a nice gun though.

The larger calibers are going to be expensive to shoot regularly, so it will cost you a bit more to keep in practice. That said, while I love my 9mm, I would feel undergunned if I was in a forest where bears are present. The 357 should cover you in that department though. The 44 will definitely cover you.

If you're going after a concealed carry pistol, I would suggest a compact or a sub compact auto. Couple that with a quality belt and a good IWB holster and you're set.

18. Cannon_6 Green Belt

Cannon_6
    I've owned a lot of handguns (revolvers and both SA and DA autos), and the S&W 686 with a 4" barrel was my absolute favorite. I highly recommend it.

19. vegaskurt Orange Belt

vegaskurt
    I'd highly recomend getting the revolver. The day I turned 21 I got a S&W 4" 586 .357. It was a sweet gun and shot dead straight.

I would get the 686 now and just know that you will end up getting a semi auto also in the near future.

20. Scrody Gold Belt

Scrody
    The 686 is a badass pistol and I dont live in a ghetto area or anything so I highly doubt ill ever need to use it. I dont necessarily care about how many bullets a gun has because I would take a revolver over an automatic any day. But the fact that the XD has cheap ammo and it holds alot makes it ideal for concealed carry. But the 686 has an intimidating factor to it. And I like the fact that it can fire .38s and .357. So its a toss up between those I might get the 686 though because its pretty unique for a revolver to have 7 rounds. And to the poster above I dont ever intend on pulling it out to scare people. Thats what I always told my friends "if crazy shits going down and I have a gun and you see me aiming it at someone you might wanna close your eyes" lol

And to the canadian poster above
    And I would rather have a gun in a Life/Death situation than a knife. You can injure yourself pretty easily with a knife and you'll feel mighty silly if you pull a knife and someone shoots your ass. Plus with a gun you just gotta pull it out and be like "Back the fuck up I dont wanna use this" if you pull a knife out there will be a moment where you have to move in to attack and you can end up gettin into a grappling match with a knife in between you and your opponent. Much rather pull a pistol and keep backpeddling. I was never one to shy away from a fight but Ive been in a few situations were I really wished I had a gun. Even if it was just to get people away from me.