Open Letter From Stonewall Jackson's Great-Great Grandsons: The Monuments Must Go

That's nice, but it doesn't mean it's never applicable. I'm sure if fifteen years ago, I told you the LGBT agenda would normalize taking your prepubescent child to the doctor to get hormone blockers injected to aid in a gender transformation, you would've called me crazy too.

I would still call you crazy for saying that.

WTF?

Here's a thought, only have statues of the winners.

I'm looking at you, Seattle!!!
Statue_of_Lenin_Seattle.jpg

I would still call you crazy for saying that.

WTF?

You haven't heard? Yeah, it's a thing now. In parts of the country, your child can decide if it's male or female, and some doctors around the country are obliging, and injecting them with "completely harmless and reversible" hormone blockers to aid them in their transformation.

I wouldn't have believed it either, until I saw a Vice documentary on it. It's real. It's happening.

Of course they're going to say that, they don't want to be terrorized by alt-left thugs...

I see its trendy to remove monuments in USA.Are you going to remove all monuments,because Indians can be offended?Some white ppl and black slaves came to their land and wiped them from the face of the earth.

Isn't this sort of thing relatively common throughout history? Famous leader dies, says he totally doesn't want a bitchin' mausoleum made for him (or any sort of monument, or whatever), yet his people go and do it anyway? I'm drawing a blank on the exact examples that spring to my mind, but I can recall reading about at least a few instances at some point or another. Sometimes it goes beyond the individuals own wishes, in that they've become such a public figure that people will revere them whether they wish to be, or not.

edit: For clarification sake, I think the current statue hysteria should simply be a local issue. If the residents of X city want to build or remove a monument to Some Guy From The Past, then so be it, let the residents there have their say via some sort of small referendum.

Yeah, it's not uncommon. But it always serves as a telling counterpoint when people say that they are honoring these leaders via the very thing the leaders didn't want. It starts raising the question of if the point of the commemoration is really about honoring the deceased leader or whatever secondary political issues have attached to that person after death. Something that isn't uncommon, separate from the statue's issue, either - how often a deceased person's living positions are often twisted post-death to support things that they probably wouldn't have supported alive.

I also think it should be local issue and once a local municipality votes to do something, everyone else should let it be. I get the uproar and fighting before a decision is made but after? Why?

can we get the descendants of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson to chime in on what they think of the situation? surely the descendants of the founding fathers would like to say something stupid

You have to wonder...what if some day, God willing, North Korea is democratized and Westernized. Do you think people will be arguing about whether or not to keep the Un family statues around?

It's a complicated issue, and it's not so much the removal of confederate statues that's the main issue, it's where the "symbol of racism" line gets drawn. The founding fathers all owned slaves, and likely raped and beat the shit out of them quite regularly, so where does it end when they have no more Confederate statues to complain about?

I don't think you can say that. It's not like it was a common practice by everyone. It absolutely happened. It was absolutely not an insignificant number of people doing it. But to pretend that it was common for random rapes and beatings to occur is a total fallacy.

can we get the descendants of George Washington and Thomas Jefferson to chime in on what they think of the situation? surely the descendants of the founding fathers would like to say something stupid

It depends. If they're ultra conservatives then no. They're opinions only matter if they happen to write for Slate (freaking LOL) and CNN can pick it up and run with it.

Excerpts:

We are native Richmonders and also the great-great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson. As two of the closest living relatives of Stonewall, we are writing today to ask for the removal of his statue, and other confederate statues, from Monument Avenue. They are overt symbols of racism and white supremacy, and the time is long overdue for them to depart from public display. Overnight, Baltimore has seen fit to take this action. Richmond should, too.

[...]

In our view, the removing if the Jackson statue and others will necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice. It will begin to tell the truth of us all coming to our senses.

[...]
Confederate monuments like the Jackson statue were never intended as benign symbols. Rather, they were the clearly articulated artwork of white supremacy.

Full text:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ackson_s_grandsons_the_monuments_must_go.html

They also say they are prouder of their great-great grand aunt Laura Jackson Arnold, who broke away from the rest of the family and became a staunch abolishionist and union supporter. They choose to celebrate their relative who "stood on the right side of history."

I suppose @Cint and @Captain Davis and others will be here in a moment to tell me how Stonewall Jackson's closest living relations that they don't understand the South or the Civil War.

Why'd you leave out the best part? The part where the apologize for being white and call their great great great Grandfather a white supremacist?

What about Lee himself, does he count in this argument?

Dear Sir--Absence from Lexington has prevented my receiving until to-day your letter of the 26th ult., inclosing an invitation from the Gettysburg Battle-field Memorial Association, to attend a meeting of the officers engaged in that battle at Gettysburg, for the purpose of marking upon the ground by enduring memorials of granite the positions and movements of the armies on the field. My engagements will not permit me to be present. I believe if there, I could not add anything material to the information existing on the subject. I think it wiser, moreover, not to keep open the sores of war but to follow the examples of those nations who endeavored to obliterate the marks of civil strife, to commit to oblivion the feelings engendered. Very respectfully,
Your obedient servant,
R. E. Lee.

for that alone he deserved an statue
There's a giant thread where we proved that the war was over slavery and slavery alone.

Sure.. as if something so complex can be proved. The North would not allow the south independence.

Sure.. as if something so complex can be proved. The North would not allow the south independence.

And if you declared independence right now they also wouldn't allow it. Not sure what you're getting at.

For telling people they're stupid for putting up statues for him means that he should get a statue?

Maybe we should respect his wishes if you care about him so much?

You haven't heard? Yeah, it's a thing now. In parts of the country, your child can decide if it's male or female, and some doctors around the country are obliging, and injecting them with "completely harmless and reversible" hormone blockers to aid them in their transformation.

I wouldn't have believed it either, until I saw a Vice documentary on it. It's real. It's happening.

It's might have happened once, but it's not been normalized. If you had said 15 years ago that someone would do anything, that wouldn't surprise me. It's a big country.

Great great grandsons. A 6.25% relation

They're from the garbage DNA wing of the family, that's for sure

S1_The-Jacksons.jpg

Jackson's great grandson on the other side of the family, died in WW2
10101Christian%252CTJJ9210.11.JPG

10716900_134605282377.jpg

His daughter, Jackson's great great granddaughter, who died in 2011

1010993_300x300.jpeg

The two Neanderthals aren't canon imo.

Don't know how many times we have to go over this but...

The difference is Jefferson is more than a just a slave owner.

While the Declaration of Independence is a great document the main reason we celebrate the founding fathers is because they created the most perfect form of government the world has known.

The idea that democracy could work without some kind of monarchy to lead was inconceivable in Europe and that thought was pretty prevalent up until WWII which is why Facism took off. They were able to replace the Establishment monarch with the Alternative Autocracy.

Jefferson had a big hand in crafting this government.

The Confederacy has none of those things. They led a bloody and violent revolt for the mere fact that they feared slavery would go away.

All of the Southern Declarations of Independence are basically Copy and Pastes of the original DOI while also typing in BOLD that they must protect the "Peculiar Institution".

It should also be pointed out that most of these statutes and memorials were built 50+ years after the Civil War in an attempt to rewrite the history of the war as well as help enforce and embolden Jim Crow laws and segregation.

Jefferson was a flawed man who accomplished great things that last to this very day.

Confederacy = traitors who accomplished nothing but bloodshed.
I don't think I've seen any public work dedicated to the Iroquois Confederation in any state that I've been to.
Dang. Cucked by his own grandkids.
He's not the only one.
https://www.yahoo.com/news/robert-e-lee-apos-descendant-010705389.html
http://www.newsweek.com/charlottesv...es-alex-fields-civil-war-bertram-hayes-650666

They've been infected by the PC leftist virus. Which has gotten more contagious the last 8 years.

So you're a KKK member too Rip? Why are people who claim to be Christians so unlike the Christ described in the Bible?

Back