Open Letter From Stonewall Jackson's Great-Great Grandsons: The Monuments Must Go

luckyshot

Nazi Punks Fuck Off
Platinum Member
Reaction score
Excerpts:

We are native Richmonders and also the great-great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson. As two of the closest living relatives of Stonewall, we are writing today to ask for the removal of his statue, and other confederate statues, from Monument Avenue. They are overt symbols of racism and white supremacy, and the time is long overdue for them to depart from public display. Overnight, Baltimore has seen fit to take this action. Richmond should, too.

[...]

In our view, the removing if the Jackson statue and others will necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice. It will begin to tell the truth of us all coming to our senses.

[...]
Confederate monuments like the Jackson statue were never intended as benign symbols. Rather, they were the clearly articulated artwork of white supremacy.

Full text:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ackson_s_grandsons_the_monuments_must_go.html

They also say they are prouder of their great-great grand aunt Laura Jackson Arnold, who broke away from the rest of the family and became a staunch abolishionist and union supporter. They choose to celebrate their relative who "stood on the right side of history."

I suppose @Cint and @Captain Davis and others will be here in a moment to tell me how Stonewall Jackson's closest living relations that they don't understand the South or the Civil War.

It's a complicated issue, and it's not so much the removal of confederate statues that's the main issue, it's where the "symbol of racism" line gets drawn. The founding fathers all owned slaves, and likely raped and beat the shit out of them quite regularly, so where does it end when they have no more Confederate statues to complain about?

Last edited:
Traitorception
Huh?

Did I miss a new Transformer movie?

Or are you referring to lizard people or something?

One can never tell with you right wingers.

Excerpts:

We are native Richmonders and also the great-great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson. As two of the closest living relatives of Stonewall, we are writing today to ask for the removal of his statue, and other confederate statues, from Monument Avenue. They are overt symbols of racism and white supremacy, and the time is long overdue for them to depart from public display. Overnight, Baltimore has seen fit to take this action. Richmond should, too.

[...]

In our view, the removing if the Jackson statue and others will necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice. It will begin to tell the truth of us all coming to our senses.

[...]
Confederate monuments like the Jackson statue were never intended as benign symbols. Rather, they were the clearly articulated artwork of white supremacy.

Full text:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ackson_s_grandsons_the_monuments_must_go.html

They also say they are prouder of their great-great grand aunt Laura Jackson Arnold, who broke away from the rest of the family and became a staunch abolishionist and union supporter. They choose to celebrate their relative who "stood on the right side of history."

I suppose @Cint and @Captain Davis and others will be here in a moment to tell me how Stonewall Jackson's closest living relations that they don't understand the South or the Civil War.
Just because they are relatives, doesn't mean they know history. I know nothing of their background besides that they are descendants.

It sounds good though.

They've been infected by the PC leftist virus. Which has gotten more contagious the last 8 years.

Huh?

Did I miss a new Transformer movie?

Or are you referring to lizard people or something?

One can never tell with you right wingers.

It was a misfire. Apologies.

Expanded thoughts in edit.

Last edited:
BTW, if they want to remove the statues, fine. Just do it legally. Move them to a museum, historical landmark, or private property.

Fine by me.

Excerpts:

[...]

[...]

Full text:

They're definitely free to express their opinion on the matter . . . everyone isn't going to agree on whatever solution is made.

Besides, we all have that crazy relative we're ashamed of or something.

They've been infected by the PC leftist virus. Which has gotten more contagious the last 8 years.

Because someone thinks differently than you they are infected, diseased.......

That thinking is the root cause to many our problems.

Or maybe they know their kin better than the general public?

But that could also be speaking to my personal agenda....

Just because they are relatives, doesn't mean they know history. I know nothing of their background besides that they are descendants.

Here's a tenured professor of history:

The whole point of Confederate monuments is to celebrate white supremacy

https://www.washingtonpost.com/news...brate-white-supremacy/?utm_term=.4c2f8c35d451

And two more:

Removal of Confederate monuments doesn’t erase history, professor says

http://wncn.com/2017/08/15/removal-of-confederate-monuments-doesnt-erase-history-professor-says/

And the Dean of the Department of History at UVA

He also points out that many of these memorials lack context and are inscribed to glorify or deny the brutality of that period. “Rethinking the memorial landscape—whether that involves moving memorials, adding new memorials, and/or reshaping how the memorials are viewed—is a necessary step in creating a more inclusive history and more inclusive public spaces,” said von Daacke.

http://www.nbcnews.com/news/nbcblk/are-removing-confederate-monuments-erasing-history-n750526

It's a complicated issue, and it's not so much the removal of confederate statues that's the main issue, it's where the "symbol of racism" line gets drawn. The founding fathers all owned slaves, and likely raped and beat the shit out of them quite regularly, so where does it end when they have no more Confederate statues to complain about?

Don't know how many times we have to go over this but...

The difference is Jefferson is more than a just a slave owner.

While the Declaration of Independence is a great document the main reason we celebrate the founding fathers is because they created the most perfect form of government the world has known.

The idea that democracy could work without some kind of monarchy to lead was inconceivable in Europe and that thought was pretty prevalent up until WWII which is why Facism took off. They were able to replace the Establishment monarch with the Alternative Autocracy.

Jefferson had a big hand in crafting this government.

The Confederacy has none of those things. They led a bloody and violent revolt for the mere fact that they feared slavery would go away.

All of the Southern Declarations of Independence are basically Copy and Pastes of the original DOI while also typing in BOLD that they must protect the "Peculiar Institution".

It should also be pointed out that most of these statutes and memorials were built 50+ years after the Civil War in an attempt to rewrite the history of the war as well as help enforce and embolden Jim Crow laws and segregation.

Jefferson was a flawed man who accomplished great things that last to this very day.

Confederacy = traitors who accomplished nothing but bloodshed.

Where do you think it should end? We all agree that honoring Confederates is stupid, right?

It sounds good though.

Robert E. Lee himself thought that there shouldn't be any commemoration of the war either. He's just one guy of course but he's also the very subject of many of these statues.

I think it's ironic that people debate to keep up statues of a man who didn't think there should be any statues of himself or symbols of the conflict he fought in.

Of course, I'm sure other leaders of the era had their own opinions on that.

Don't know how many times we have to go over this but...

The difference is Jefferson is more than a just a slave owner.

While the Declaration of Independence is a great document the main reason we celebrate the founding fathers is because they created the most perfect form of government the world has known.

The idea that democracy could work without some kind of monarchy to lead was inconceivable in Europe and that thought was pretty prevalent up until WWII which is why Facism took off. They were able to replace the Establishment monarch with the Alternative Autocracy.

Jefferson had a big hand in crafting this government.

The Confederacy has none of those things. They led a bloody and violent revolt for the mere fact that they feared slavery would go away.

All of the Southern Declarations of Independence are basically Copy and Pastes of the original DOI while also typing in BOLD that they must protect the "Peculiar Institution".

It should also be pointed out that most of these statutes and memorials were built 50+ years after the Civil War in an attempt to rewrite the history of the war as well as help enforce and embolden Jim Crow laws and segregation.

Jefferson was a flawed man who accomplished great things that last to this very day.

Confederacy = traitors who accomplished nothing but bloodshed.

Yes, I am aware of the differences. My point is, will people pushing for this care about the differences, once they have no more Confederate monuments to bitch about?

You really think it's that unlikely, that the same people pushing for this won't curb the definition for "symbol of racism"? Have you heard what this generation complains about when it comes to racism? You really think slave owners are off the table, because they founded the country? Ha!

To ignore the possibility of this leading down a very slippery slope, is disingenuous.

Where do you think it should end? We all agree that honoring Confederates is stupid, right?

It should end there. I doubt it will though. That line is going to become very blurry.

"Honoring Confederates is stupid", is going to become "Honoring slave owners is stupid".

Back