Open Letter From Stonewall Jackson's Great-Great Grandsons: The Monuments Must Go

Excerpts:

We are native Richmonders and also the great-great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson. As two of the closest living relatives of Stonewall, we are writing today to ask for the removal of his statue, and other confederate statues, from Monument Avenue. They are overt symbols of racism and white supremacy, and the time is long overdue for them to depart from public display. Overnight, Baltimore has seen fit to take this action. Richmond should, too.

[...]

In our view, the removing if the Jackson statue and others will necessarily further difficult conversations about racial justice. It will begin to tell the truth of us all coming to our senses.

[...]
Confederate monuments like the Jackson statue were never intended as benign symbols. Rather, they were the clearly articulated artwork of white supremacy.

Full text:
http://www.slate.com/articles/news_...ackson_s_grandsons_the_monuments_must_go.html

They also say they are prouder of their great-great grand aunt Laura Jackson Arnold, who broke away from the rest of the family and became a staunch abolishionist and union supporter. They choose to celebrate their relative who "stood on the right side of history."

I suppose @Cint and @Captain Davis and others will be here in a moment to tell me how Stonewall Jackson's closest living relations that they don't understand the South or the Civil War.

Small problem - in VA you can't just remove a memorial.

The one in Charlottesville is only able to be moved because it was a private statue and land that was bequeathed to the city.

Problem if you have literal Marxists (and the leftists rooting them on) thinking they can just tear down any monument they don't like by force and be held as heroes. This is nothing much then a left wing witch hunt to remove history they don't like.

http://dailycaller.com/2017/08/16/w...federate-statue-is-a-pro-north-korea-marxist/
Oh, noes, muh Marxist:
1502636935-1502636935-1040.jpg

And let me guess, Unite the Right was just a Soros funded psyop, too?

What's the weather in outer space? You guys really need to come back down to earth.

Oh, noes, muh Marxist:
1502636935-1502636935-1040.jpg

And let me guess, Unite the Right was just a Soros funded psyop, too?

What's the weather in outer space? You guys really need to come back down to earth.

You realize she was part of the same group right? You didn't think this post through did you?

No offense but that's such a stupid argument that I can't respect any person that makes it.

Yeah, but you're a worthless troll though, so I don't give a shit about what you think. Nice Av though. Much better than the "No Whites Allowed" one you had a few days ago...

The attacks on confederate statues are a part of a bigger cultural war.

These foreign funded subversive groups hate America, want to erase its history and rebuild the country in their own image the way Bolsheiviks did.
The amount of double-think involved in claiming that it's the subversives who hate the USA that oppose monuments to a rebellion against the USA and real Americans (tm) who want to celebrate said rebellion is breathtaking.

Even I don't trust academia on issues like this, anymore. We've all seen how easy it is to find deranged professors who seek out narratives due to crippling confirmation bias. They may be more articulate and erudite confirmation biases, but the principle holds.

When writing stories, major news organizations seek out the leading scholars in the field they're dealing with, not fringe professors. And being Dean of a prestigious public university is as mainstream as it gets.

In any case, in issues like this you just have to weigh all sides of the argument and decide which has a better argument. On one side, we have history scholars citing research. I'm still waiting to hear something comparable from the other side.

The amount of double-think involved in claiming that it's the subversives who hate the USA that oppose monuments to a rebellion against the USA and real Americans (tm) who want to celebrate said rebellion is breathtaking.

Its not just the rebellion. A pastor in Chicago wants the statue of George Washington removed. NOI is pushing propaganda that Mount Rushmore is a racist monument as well.

The cultural marxist fringe on the left hates America. They hate the flag, they hate the anthem and the history.

Its not just the rebellion. A pastor in Chicago wants the statue of George Washington removed. NOI is pushing propaganda that Mount Rushmore is a racist monument as well.

The cultural marxist fringe on the left hates America. They hate the flag, they hate the anthem and the history.
Ok? NOI and a pastor aren't "the entire left". Lots of people here and elsewhere have made it clear that they support removal of the Confederate statues, but not of founding fathers type monuments. Why are you insistent on tying it all together? This is a thread about removing Confederate statues. Why are you tying in all other attempts to remove statues when people have made it clear they don't support those?

It's a complicated issue, and it's not so much the removal of confederate statues that's the main issue, it's where the "symbol of racism" line gets drawn. The founding fathers all owned slaves, and likely raped and beat the shit out of them quite regularly, so where does it end when they have no more Confederate statues to complain about?

It end when we have no more confederate statues. Some idiots may try and get founding father monuments removed, hell they already are. That however is when a lot of people including myself will make sure that does not happen. Most of the Confederate Monuments were put up not after the war but during the civil rights era as a push back to the civil rights movement.

It isn't hard. If you stand for confederate statues than you fully support their cause and constitution.

In regards to you're argument, though, slippery slope is generally considered a fallacious line of reasoning.

http://www.txstate.edu/philosophy/resources/fallacy-definitions/Slippery-Slope.html

That's nice, but it doesn't mean it's never applicable. I'm sure if fifteen years ago, I told you the LGBT agenda would normalize taking your prepubescent child to the doctor to get hormone blockers injected to aid in a gender transformation, you would've called me crazy too.

It's really not far fetched to think that a good portion of folks on the left are eventually going to start taking issue with slave owners being glorified in the future, and start making demands for the erasing of their history.

That's nice, but it doesn't mean it's never applicable. I'm sure if fifteen years ago, I told you the LGBT agenda would normalize taking your prepubescent child to the doctor to get hormone blockers injected to aid in a gender transformation, you would've called me crazy too.

It's really not far fetched to think that a good portion of folks on the left are eventually going to start taking issue with slave owners being glorified in the future, and start making
You are correct that the slippery slope phenomenon sometimes does occur, but the slippery slope is still a poor argument against something because, in practice, we make slippery slope decisions every single hour.

How many slices of pizza am I going to eat?

How many beers am I going to drink?

What types of artistic expression will I consider non-aberrant?

How literally will I take the Bible?

What substances should the government regulate?

These are all potentially slippery slope scenarios.

We have to be able to trust our ability to navigate potential slippery slopes in order to get out of bed in the morning.

"If A then Z will occur, therefore don't do A" is just not a good argument.

What is better is to debate the merits of a test rule, such as, "We will have direct ballot measures to determine whether or not a statue should be displayed in public."

Ok? NOI and a pastor aren't "the entire left". Lots of people here and elsewhere have made it clear that they support removal of the Confederate statues, but not of founding fathers type monuments. Why are you insistent on tying it all together? This is a thread about removing Confederate statues. Why are you tying in all other attempts to remove statues when people have made it clear they don't support those?

I am not saying it's all of left. True liberals have been distancing themselves from this fringe American hating alt-left for a while now. Even the post you are quoting shows me referring to them as a cultural marxist fringe.

I am tying it together because it is a part of the same overall goal pushed by the same subversive groups. The same groups vandalizing and taking down statues are hanging ANTIFA flags on town halls. It's right out of the Bolsheivik and Maoist handbooks.

Excerpts:

We are native Richmonders and also the great-great grandsons of Stonewall Jackson.

Cringe worthy, who are them to have any say over it? Can´t people just accept that one time slavery was not deemed immoral, it was part of the new world, things improved and slavery was banned.

The war was about South becoming independent, they payed heavy taxes for the federal government and received very little in return. Since the North had only industries and no plantations they decided to go to war over slavery, to keep the south as their agricultural colony.

Cringe worthy, who are them to have any say over it? Can´t people just accept that one time slavery was not deemed immoral, it was part of the new world, things improved and slavery was banned.

The war was about South becoming independent, they payed heavy taxes for the federal government and received very little in return. Since the North had only industries and no plantations they decided to go to war over slavery, to keep the south as their agricultural colony.

There's a giant thread where we proved that the war was over slavery and slavery alone.

IUTt4oo.gif

Because he wants to tear these down:

R9tBwG.gif

Back