Ontario expected to raise min wage to $15

I understand the argument that the rich don't use shops with minimum wage staff and thus the cost is passed on to the customer base who does use the establishments and that is usually the lower economic folks as well BUT I don't like the idea that these companies make hundreds of millions in profits while the worker is also getting government assistance to eek out a living.

IIRC there is a ridiculous amount of Walmart employees who get SNAP benefits. So taxpayers are subsidizing Walmart to allow owners to rake in billions. Without the government providing the SNAP benefits the employees couldn't survive working at the current wages and either Walmart would have to pay them more, cutting into their profits, or go out of business due no not having any/enough employees.

Lol why would anyone who doesn't work for min wage be in favor of this

Um, people have talked in the past plenty about the local cost of living going up when this happens, and posted proof.
Umm...The cost of living increases whether or not the minimum wage increases. And if the minimum wage contributes a little bit to that, I wouldn't be surprised. But that doesn't exactly devastate the economy now does it? I hear Seattle is doing just fine. I mean, do you expect minimum wage to remain at the same rate it was 30 years ago?

Really? How long has the minimum wage been what it is now? And I'm all those years, didnthey never raise prices?

I find it hard to believe businesses haven't raised their prices in proportion to the market basket in all the years they didn't raise the minimum wage. Maybe that's why they're failing.
Just for the record, I'm not against a higher minimum wage. I'm not against stuff like this happening naturally or even with a little bump from govt. But giant bumps like this are partisan politics and will hurt far more people then it will help based on the reasons provided above.

But the unions driving it don't care as long as it helps therm push for their next round of wage demands.

Lol why would anyone who doesn't work for min wage be in favor of this
Because many people can look beyond their own exclusive self interest. And some tie their self interest into the well being of society as a whole.

In saying that I'm not suggesting this specific move is good. I don't think it is. But that is why others might care about this topic.

Because many people can look beyond their own exclusive self interest. And some tie their self interest into the well being of society as a whole.

In saying that I'm not suggesting this specific move is good. I don't think it is. But that is why others might care about this topic.

That's ridiculous

Just for the record, I'm not against a higher minimum wage. I'm not against stuff like this happening naturally or even with a little bump from govt. But giant bumps like this are partisan politics and will hurt far more people then it will help based on the reasons provided above.

But the unions driving it don't care as long as it helps therm push for their next round of wage demands.
There's no doubt that a big jump will have an effect, not all of which can be positive. But this is what happens when minimum wage remains stagnant for many years and they have to play catch up, which is what I think they are doing. I mean, we would have even more jobs if there was no minimum wage. But that would be stupid. Also, I read a paper about an increase in minimum wage in Washington DC, where they actually ran a regression and didn't just assume that because something happened after the wage increase that it was caused by the wage increase. They concluded it had no effect on employment rates.

Ontario is an over governed laughing stock of a province. I live here and the province needs serious reform! Less government, a 15% pay cut to most public sector employees, renogitated pension plans for workers lets say under the age of 40, taking back our toll Highway from the asians and much much much more!

The great nogitator.
Rodrigo-Nogueira-UFC-102_1391-478x270.jpg

Get ready for robots to take their jobs then. There are many people who are so useless they are not worth $5/hr.

Oddly enough today was the first time I have been to a McDonald's in about five years and was amazed that they haven't replaced everyone with these yet. I was hoping that someone could quote me on the price of one of these.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they cost about $60,000.00. You get one of these and you replace two employees. By the time a year is gone by at $15/hr you have paid for the machine. By the following year, assuming maintaining the machine costs 10%/annum you are up $48,000. I want to franchise a McDonald's now.

Last edited:
Oddly enough today was the first time I have been to a McDonald's in about five years and was amazed that they haven't replaced everyone with these yet. I was hoping that someone could quote me on the price of one of these.

Idk how much they cost but i guarantee they cost less than $15/hr to operate.

Every time there is one of these threads, the wannabe economists proclaim economic hardships for all as a result of the wage increase. And every time, I say the same thing. If you're so sure, let's wait, then come back to this thread in a few months and see if the economy tanked as you predicted. Nobody ever does and admits they were wrong. But they continue to make these threads and offer their economic expertise nintheoess every time any jurisdiction considers a wage increase.

Who Daud anything about the economy dropping?

I merely said that a CEO'S yacht could easily pay all of his employees 100 let hour for the next 10 years and then some but ooohhhhh no, can't increase the wages. No sir, gotta keep my pockets lunged for the boats, houses, wine and hookers.

The problem is the people who pay for it are the ones who currently make above the $11.40 minimum wage right now and less than $20/hr.

Wage compression is the biggest thing to happen for years following a gov't forced minimum wage increase.

Imagine you are not the student or part time, second income worker that most minimum wage workers are and in your primary job you have worked your way up to $16/hr. With all the rest now bumped to $15/hr it will take far longer (if ever) for the employer to be able to afford to keep raising your wage because basically his X years worth of raises on merit have been forced to be given to those he might not value as much.

This is a real problem in smaller companies with around 10-20 employees where they have little to no room to find extra money and thus wage compression happens for years and years following.

They should just pay the person working their way up more and shut the fuck up. Problem solved.

Ontario is an over governed laughing stock of a province. I live here and the province needs serious reform! Less government, a 15% pay cut to most public sector employees, renogitated pension plans for workers lets say under the age of 40, taking back our toll Highway from the asians and much much much more! Our Premier is a liar who wastes money, creates stupid jobs, and exagerates harder than most politicans to buy elections. I've never voted PC before but I'm going blue this election! I could legit make a thread about everything that's wrong with Onterrible.

From where I sit here in Quebec, seems like you guys have all the jobs, and your roads are awesome.

Our construction workers are on strike again. Screw those guys, pissing and moaning because they might have to work some Saturdays.

EDIT: Nevermind, turns out they cost about $60,000.00. You get one of these and you replace two employees. By the time a year is gone by at $15/hr you have paid for the machine. By the following year, assuming maintaining the machine costs 10%/annum you are up $48,000. I want to franchise a McDonald's now.

These machines spell the end of days.

These machines spell the end of days.

Yea it's bullshit. Can't have anything anymore.

Then you see some cheesy commercial about "mcdonalds cares about the community. That's why we are employing more young people than ever. We also help high school students find placement in college. Here at mcdonalds, we care."

But we are looking into investing in robots that will take away the need for all of you and leave you shir out of luck, so we can buy more houses, boats, jetskis, and wines from 1600.

Makes sense.

Back