Okay, so I'm rewatching all the Star Wars movies before I go see the new one. . .

Its my favorite of the entire bunch

I love how they don't even chose R2D2 and the only reason they got him cause the droid they did pick broke.
I like watching Luke clean the droids and just do pointless shit
I like listening to Luke talk about how he doesn't just wanna be some farmer..How he has dreams. I guess that really stuck with me as a kid.
Cantina scene is awesome. Pretty self explanatory I think. Just seeing all these cool and different types of aliens.
Space Chess
I like the visual transition into lightspeed while they fly the Falcon

The stuff that you said was a slog is my favorite stuff of the entire movie

Indeed.

Really surprised to hear you say it's your favorite, seeing as how you're the prequel guy, because I feel like A New Hope couldn't be more different than the prequels. It's almost like their opposite.

You know, while watching the film, I remembered almost none of it. But I did remember, even as a kid, thinking it was kind of dull.

I also remember thinking Empire was quite good and that Jedi was kind of stupid due to the Ewoks. I'm curious to see if those impressions also prove themselves out today.

I know you are not asking me, but for me, all prequels are easily better than A New Hope. Empire Strikes Back is the best, the second one is Revenge of the Sith and completely all are better than new Star Wars movies.

Of the four I've watched so far during this marathon--Phantom, Clones, Sith, Rogue, Hope--I have Sith at #1. It's good . . . and ALMOST very good. But I really did not think General Grievous was a good villain and all the stuff with him slowed the film down for me.

Honestly, I would probably take Attack of the Clones over A New Hope as well.

I probably have to draw the line at Phantom Menace, though. That's also quite a dull film and at least A New Hope has Vader and the solid space battle at the end.

Of the four I've watched so far during this marathon--Phantom, Clones, Sith, Rogue, Hope--I have Sith at #1. It's good . . . and ALMOST very good. But I really did not think General Grievous was a good villain and all the stuff with him slowed the film down for me.

Honestly, I would probably take Attack of the Clones over A New Hope as well.

I probably have to draw the line at Phantom Menace, though. That's also quite a dull film and at least A New Hope has Vader and the solid space battle at the end.

Wonder how will you like TESB.

Indeed.

Really surprised to hear you say it's your favorite, seeing as how you're the prequel guy, because I feel like A New Hope couldn't be more different than the prequels. It's almost like their opposite.

You know, while watching the film, I remembered almost none of it. But I did remember, even as a kid, thinking it was kind of dull.

I also remember thinking Empire was quite good and that Jedi was kind of stupid due to the Ewoks. I'm curious to see if those impressions also prove themselves out today.

I like them for very different reasons

New Hope is very hopeful no pun intended. Out of all the Star Wars movie it makes me feel the best after watching it. Fuck the deathstar you know? Prequels are not happy films and Empire ends with Han locked up. So I think compared to the other Star Wars films New Hope is very fun and happy.

For the prequels I like them for the complete opposite reasons. Prequels are not fun and happy and the heroes don't win. I used to watch Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a kid and I hated when the power rangers always won. I wanted the power rangers to lose. So even as a kid I recognized that the heroes always winning gets very boring after a while.

Wonder how will you like TESB.

We'll see.

I've seen it before but it's just been so damn long that going back through these is damn near like watching them for the first time.

The last time I saw Empire would've been 1997, when the special editions we're released to theaters. That's quite a long time ago now.

We'll see.

I've seen it before but it's just been so damn long that going back through these is damn near like watching them for the first time.

The last time I saw Empire would've been 1997, when the special editions we're released to theaters. That's quite a long time ago now.

Its action packed compared to New Hope

Its the last 35 minutes of New Hope but for 2 hours

I like them for very different reasons

New Hope is very hopeful no pun intended. Out of all the Star Wars movie it makes me feel the best after watching it. Fuck the deathstar you know? Prequels are not happy films and Empire ends with Han locked up. So I think compared to the other Star Wars films New Hope is very fun and happy.

For the prequels I like them for the complete opposite reasons. Prequels are not fun and happy and the heroes don't win. I used to watch Mighty Morphin Power Rangers as a kid and I hated when the power rangers always won. I wanted the power rangers to lose. So even as a kid I recognized that the heroes always winning gets very boring after a while.

One thing I will say was cool about watching A New Hope is all the references to the past, which reference the prequels but like . . . precognitively.

For instance, Luke asks Ben, "You fought in the Clone War?" and that means something different to us now that the prequels exist than it did in 1977 when it was just a line in the film.

Or just reading the opening title crawl is kind of funny after just watching Rogue One.

One thing I will say was cool about watching A New Hope is all the references to the past, which reference the prequels but like . . . precognitively.

For instance, Luke asks Ben, "You fought in the Clone War?" and that means something different to us now that the prequels exist than it did in 1977 when it was just a line in the film.

Or just reading the opening title crawl is kind of funny after just watching Rogue One.

There is a cut on youtube that has the ending of Rouge One and the start of New Hope

Its impressive

There is a cut on youtube that has the ending of Rouge One and the start of New Hope

Its impressive

Sounds interesting. Seems like it would be jarring when it jumps from one to the other.

Honestly, one thing that holds A New Hope back a bit for someone like me who has no nostalgic connection to it is that it just looks so damned 70s. While some of the model-based effects are still quite cool, overall I really thought the film felt quite dated.

Honestly, one thing that holds A New Hope back a bit for someone like me who has no nostalgic connection to it is that it just looks so damned 70s. While some of the model-based effects are still quite cool, overall I really thought the film felt quite dated.

Yeah I was watching Star Wars like a normal kid. What were you doing

Was thinking about what series you should marathon next

Harry Potter

Very underrated series imo

I've actually never seen them. I started the first one once, maybe got 30 minutes in, and wasn't feeling it. Never went back.

Really interesting vid on the practical effects in the prequels. I can't believe how much shit I thought was computer-generated was actually real.

Weird.

The worst part about the prequels, especially Phantom Menace and Attack of the Clones, is that they're just boring. Really boring. Like, really really really boring. I saw Phantom when it was released in theaters when I was like 14, which was the height of my Star Wars fandom. Even then I remember thinking it was really boring.

The special edition of Empire is actually pretty good. I don't think Lucas added anything to that one that completely ruined pivotal moments like he did with A New Hope and Jedi.

Pod Race scene kicked ass. Especially with Mad Max music.

Watching the Harry Potter films is like watching people you dont like LARP.

The final battle between Voldy and Harry is the most anti-climatic thing ive ever witnessed in a major film.

Points wands at each other:
"Pew"
"Pew"
"Expelldallamas"
"Nu-uh, shield"
"Pew"
"Pew"

It was stupid.

Sadly I find that most people need to be told how to feel about a film

Fans of RLM felt personally attacked when you made the comment you did. They have become so dependent on being spoon fed opinions when you attacked RLM you were actually in fact attacking its fans as well

Do you really think anyone defending RLM in this thread depends on them for guidance in how to feel about movies?

I would say the Plinkett reviews are the antithesis of stuff like Jeremy Jahns, and people only sit through them if they want to take a good look at the finer details of the strange failure that was the prequels. People wanting to be spoon fed opinions about a movie won't watch five hours of video essays. They'll watch a five minute review and just parrot the general sentiment.

Back