Okay, so I'm rewatching all the Star Wars movies before I go see the new one. . .

How's this for criticism. . .

The guy talks in a stupid fucking voice all through the video and keeps trying to be a comedian to the point of annoyance.

People really chose to endure 70 minutes of that shit?

jwdrp.gif

Speaking of Palps- Ian McDiarmid killed it in that movie. One of the reasons that one is so good relative to the other two. He has an expanded role (his biggest in any Star Wars film) and boy does he make the most of it.

Yeah, I'll agree that he was a high point.

The scene where he and Anakin were in the theater/concert hall thing and he's talking about how the Dark Side can give you power to keep someone from dying is one of the best scenes in the prequels. When Anakin asks if someone can learn that power and Palpatine turns slowly and says "Not from a Jedi," that's good shit.

Yeah, I'll agree that he was a high point.

The scene where he and Anakin were in the theater/concert hall thing and he's talking about how the Dark Side can give you power to keep someone from dying is one of the best scenes in the prequels. When Anakin asks if someone can learn that power and Palpatine turns slowly and says "Not from a Jedi," that's good shit.

true they knew they had gold with that scene/moment as it was the opening of the trailer for the film...

Not sure what that gif is all about.

Stupid fucking voice? Check.

Poor attempts at humor? Check.

Actually, I don't think that's check. That's checkmate.

Fuck off. Suck my dick.

If you had a dick you wouldn't speak such poison about Mr. Plinkett.

No, just fact. I liked lots of things when I was a child that don't seem very interesting now.

The fascination with Star Wars kinda baffles me, but hey, different people like different things.

Okay, Rogue One. Done.

This is a decidedly simpler story than every film I've watched so far during this marathon. Gone are concerns over taxation, the trials and tribulations of true love, and thought ruminations on the nature of good and evil. This is an action story. The bad guys are building some devastating bad guy shit and the good guys have to go fight to try to help destroy that shit.

Having just finished the prequels, one thing that immediately stood out to me was the look of the film. The prequels are very stylized and often cartoony. I made comparisons both to Blade Runner and Speed Racer. Lucas used lots of bright, often cartoonish, colors and didn't seem to be interested in going for a realistic look. With Rogue One, however, we get a muted color palette and an emphasis on realistic effects that are supposed to blend seamlessly with the live-action that's happening on-screen. Gone is the over-emphasis on digital technology, with nearly every scene feeling like there's a green screen involved.

Similarly, the tone of the majority of the prequels feels very much like it's aimed at kids, at least that is until we get to the last half of Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One, on the other hand, feels like while it's designed to appeal to all ages, the tone is decidedly more mature.

This film is all about the birth of the Death Star. Its birth and its preparation for destruction. Gareth Edwards does a good job of bringing back the feel of the original trilogy with the look of the Empire HQ interior and when Darth Vader appears on-screen it's hard to not be like, "Oh hell yeah!" Even James Earl Jones came back to voice the character, which is just awesome.

I really enjoyed Rogue One the first time I watched it. And while I still enoyed it the second time, the thinness of the story stood out to me a lot more. Also, as @Fedorgasm mentioned earlier, something feels a little off with no Jedi or light sabers.

This isn't an epic story, but then again, it was never meant to be. It's a side quest. I definitely can't argue much with how well this film is made--it is very well made--but I do have to wonder how much its simplicity will hold it back in terms of rewatchability.

7.5/10

P.S. K-2SO is hilarious.

Okay, Rogue One. Done.

This is a decidedly simpler story than every film I've watched so far during this marathon. Gone are concerns over taxation, the trials and tribulations of true love, and thought ruminations on the nature of good and evil. This is an action story. The bad guys are building some devastating bad guy shit and the good guys have to go fight to try to help destroy that shit.

Having just finished the prequels, one thing that immediately stood out to me was the look of the film. The prequels are very stylized and often cartoony. I made comparisons both to Blade Runner and Speed Racer. Lucas used lots of bright, often cartoonish, colors and didn't seem to be interested in going for a realistic look. With Rogue One, however, we get a muted color palette and an emphasis on realistic effects that are supposed to blend seamlessly with the live-action that's happening on-screen. Gone is the over-emphasis on digital technology, with nearly every scene feeling like there's a green screen involved.

Similarly, the tone of the majority of the prequels feels very much like it's aimed at kids, at least that is until we get to the last half of Revenge of the Sith. Rogue One, on the other hand, feels like while it's designed to appeal to all ages, the tone is decidedly more mature.

This film is all about the birth of the Death Star. Its birth and its preparation for destruction. Gareth Edwards does a good job of bringing back the feel of the original trilogy with the look of the Empire HQ interior and when Darth Vader appears on-screen it's hard to not be like, "Oh hell yeah!" Even James Earl Jones came back to voice the character, which is just awesome.

I really enjoyed Rogue One the first time I watched it. And while I still enoyed it the second time, the thinness of the story stood out to me a lot more. Also, as @Fedorgasm mentioned earlier, something feels a little off with no Jedi or light sabers.

This isn't an epic story, but then again, it was never meant to be. It's a side quest. I definitely can't argue much with how well this film is made--it is very well made--but I do have to wonder how much its simplicity will hold it back in terms of rewatchability.

7.5/10

P.S. K-2SO is hilarious.

K-2SO I think would be a lot funnier to me if i hadn't played knights of the old republic. In that game, there's a Droid that's similar but executed even better, to the point where K-2SO feels like a cheap imitation.

How's this for criticism. . .

The guy talks in a stupid fucking voice all through the video and keeps trying to be a comedian to the point of annoyance.

People really chose to endure 70 minutes of that shit?

I guess you either enjoy the style or you don't. I don't find it particularly hilarious, but I do find it entertaining. Different strokes.

What about the content though? Did you listen to what he was saying? Like what he was saying about the film not having a fucking protagonist.

I guess you either enjoy the style or you don't. I don't find it particularly hilarious, but I do find it entertaining. Different strokes.

What about the content though? Did you listen to what he was saying? Like what he was saying about the film not having a fucking protagonist.

Here's the thing, I've been pretty critical myself of the prequels. I think there are legitimate criticisms against them to be made. But a lot of Star Wars fans, this guy included, come off as REAL fucking whiny about the shit.

The prequels really are not that bad, and like I said earlier, I'd even call ROTS a genuinely GOOD movie. Not a great one. But a good one.

As far as Phantom not having a protagonist, I mean, what fucking movie was he watching? This is Part 1 of Anakin's three-part story. The protagonist is Anakin.

Anyone here seen the TIE Fighter short film? It's pretty awesome. Fan-made. It took the guy four years to finish animating it.

Not sure what that gif is all about.

Stupid fucking voice? Check.

Poor attempts at humor? Check.

Actually, I don't think that's check. That's checkmate.

Fuck off. Suck my dick.

Sadly I find that most people need to be told how to feel about a film

Fans of RLM felt personally attacked when you made the comment you did. They have become so dependent on being spoon fed opinions when you attacked RLM you were actually in fact attacking its fans as well

All right. A New Hope.

A New muthafuckin' Hope.

Guys, look, this movie is not really that great. There's about 25% of a good movie here. The rest is a questionably-executed snoozer. About the time that they escape from the trash compactor it turns interesting and fairly thrilling, but up to that point I was barely holding on.

Honestly, to me, much of this movie felt more like a proof of concept than it did a final film. I think much of its problems can be summed up in the scene where Luke discovers that his family has been murdered and his reaction is basically "aww gee whiz." There's no build up and no payoff. In that moment, I yearned for Hayden Christensen's emoting when his mother dies, and it made me appreciate his performance--and the writing in that film--all the more.

From there it's just, you know, shit happens. We eventually meet Han and the Millenium Falcon, everyone gets captured by the Empire's tractor beam, our heroes run around the ship for a while. . . That's about an hour and 20 minutes of the movie right there and it's a slog.

Like I said, once they get out of the trash compactor it starts to pick up. Ben fights Vader, which is cool, albeit pretty poorly choreographed. Our heroes escape. Then the Rebellion launches an attack against the Death Star. All of that is pretty cool, and I will at least give the film credit for building to a relatively satisfying conclusion. All's well that ends well? I guess so.

Regarding performances, Mark Hamill is serviceable but certainly nothing more than that. Harrison Ford has that kind of charisma that says, "This guy will be a star." Carrie Fischer is good as Leia, and man, she was pretty good looking back in the day. And Alec Guinness does well as Obi-Wan. So not too much of a problem with the cast.

The FX in this film are of course legendary, though I have to say, early in the movie they are actually pretty fucking sketchy. It was almost as if the FX artists were working start-to-finish through the movie and improving as they go, because the effects at the end of the film are noticeably better than those at the beginning. The BEST effects in the film still hold up fairly well, though.

And Darth Vader is awesome. The film does give you that. There's a lot of Darth Vader and any time he's on screen there's at least a baseline entertainment value because Vader is entertaining by nature.

I understand this film's historical significance and its legacy. This is the one that started it all. But I can't help but feel like anyone who thinks of A New Hope as a GREAT movie is looking through a pair of nostalgia glasses.

@TheRuthlessOne, you were wondering if I'd rank any of the original trilogy below any of the prequels. Well you didn't have to wait long. Give me Revenge of the Sith any day over this film.

6/10

All right. A New Hope.

A New muthafuckin' Hope.

Guys, look, this movie is not really that great. There's about 25% of a good movie here. The rest is a questionably-executed snoozer. About the time that they escape from the trash compactor it turns interesting and fairly thrilling, but up to that point I was barely holding on.

Honestly, to me, much of this movie felt more like a proof of concept than it did a final film. I think much of its problems can be summed up in the scene where Luke discovers that his family has been murdered and his reaction is basically "aww gee whiz." There's no build up and no payoff. In that moment, I yearned for Hayden Christensen's emoting when his mother dies, and it made me appreciate his performance--and the writing in that film--all the more.

From there it's just, you know, shit happens. We eventually meet Han and the Millenium Falcon, everyone gets captured by the Empire's tractor beam, our heroes run around the ship for a while. . . That's about an hour and 20 minutes of the movie right there and it's a slog.

Like I said, once they get out of the trash compactor it starts to pick up. Ben fights Vader, which is cool, albeit pretty poorly choreographed. Our heroes escape. Then the Rebellion launches an attack against the Death Star. All of that is pretty cool, and I will at least give the film credit for building to a relatively satisfying conclusion. All's well that ends well? I guess so.

Regarding performances, Mark Hamill is serviceable but certainly nothing more than that. Harrison Ford has that kind of charisma that says, "This guy will be a star." Carrie Fischer is good as Leia, and man, she was pretty good looking back in the day. And Alec Guinness does well as Obi-Wan. So not too much of a problem with the cast.

The FX in this film are of course legendary, though I have to say, early in the movie they are actually pretty fucking sketchy. It was almost as if the FX artists were working start-to-finish through the movie and improving as they go, because the effects at the end of the film are noticeably better than those at the beginning. The BEST effects in the film still hold up fairly well, though.

And Darth Vader is awesome. The film does give you that. There's a lot of Darth Vader and any time he's on screen there's at least a baseline entertainment value because Vader is entertaining by nature.

I understand this film's historical significance and its legacy. This is the one that started it all. But I can't help but feel like anyone who thinks of A New Hope as a GREAT movie is looking through a pair of nostalgia glasses.

@TheRuthlessOne, you were wondering if I'd rank any of the original trilogy below any of the prequels. Well you didn't have to wait long. Give me Revenge of the Sith any day over this film.

6/10

Well there it is

Thank you for proving my original point

What are your thoughts on A New Hope? How do you think it stacks up to the prequels?
Its my favorite of the entire bunch

I love how they don't even chose R2D2 and the only reason they got him cause the droid they did pick broke.
I like watching Luke clean the droids and just do pointless shit
I like listening to Luke talk about how he doesn't just wanna be some farmer..How he has dreams. I guess that really stuck with me as a kid.
Cantina scene is awesome. Pretty self explanatory I think. Just seeing all these cool and different types of aliens.
Space Chess
I like the visual transition into lightspeed while they fly the Falcon

The stuff that you said was a slog is my favorite stuff of the entire movie

What are your thoughts on A New Hope? How do you think it stacks up to the prequels?

I know you are not asking me, but for me, all prequels are easily better than A New Hope. Empire Strikes Back is the best, the second one is Revenge of the Sith and completely all are better than new Star Wars movies.

Back