Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Didn't the UFC sign Lipski? If so, why isn't this (Lipski vs. Schevchenko) for the Flyweight title fight? I think the UFC just wants to give the belt to Schevchenko (and hope it lasts). They are just trying to pick an opponent she can easily beat (either a straw weight she has already beaten several times or a flyweight with a 3-2 record).
6 months from now, every UFC women's champion could very well be Brazilian...and maybe the UFC doesn't like this?

Jarl
You consider JJ an easy opponent?

He for some reason seems to have something against Valentina. So anything she has accomplished or might accomplish in the future has to be diminished. Even if it means calling Joanna who is indisputably one of the best WMMA fighters ever an easy fight.

He for some reason seems to have something against Valentina. So anything she has accomplished or might accomplish in the future has to be diminished. Even if it means calling Joanna who is indisputably one of the best WMMA fighters ever an easy fight.

He and a few others, it's weird.

I think you might have confused your Shev haters here.

Didn't the UFC sign Lipski? If so, why isn't this (Lipski vs. Schevchenko) for the Flyweight title fight? I think the UFC just wants to give the belt to Schevchenko (and hope it lasts).

Maybe the UFC learned from what happened the last time they brought in a champ from another organization (Jennifer Maia, lost her debut). The perception would be bad to say the least, we cancelled the Val vs. JJ fight then booked Val against a TUF fighter who's barely above .500 and missed weight, and now we're gonna cancel that and book Val vs. some woman that no one knows either, but she's a champ for what that's worth. I mean, great, we know who Lipski is and how good she is but 99% of the audience doesn't, to them she's just some woman with a belt from a B-grade promotion who will surely lose her UFC debut like Jennifer Maia did. The general perception will be that it's just as much or even more of a joke fight as Eubanks.

IMO there's only 3 legit fights for Valentina right now; Carmouche, Chookagian, and JJ, in that order. The UFC took the last choice on my list but I'm not too upset since it's a fight I've wanted to see for a long time and you can build a story behind it. Same is true of Carmouche to a lesser extent. Joanna happened to be the one who took the initiative to make the fight happen, so good for her.

I think Shev is an awful matchup for Joanna and have trouble seeing this fight going in her favor. This isn't a knock on what JJ accomplished in her run at WSW, nor does this mean that she can't hold her own against certain top WFlyweights; more of a case of styles make fights.

Why is Shevchenko a bad 'stylistic' matchup for JJ? Is it something in her counterpunching and / or footwork? Or perhaps her ground game? Yes they fought like last decade but it was a different sport. Shev is 'coming down' & JJ is 'moving up' but they're both fighting more at their true weight.

I'd place the match as an even pick 'em. Especially before seeing fight week & weigh ins. I'm all ears though if anyone cares to explain why Val should be the favorite.

Why is Shevchenko a bad 'stylistic' matchup for JJ? Is it something in her counterpunching and / or footwork? Or perhaps her ground game? Yes they fought like last decade but it was a different sport. Shev is 'coming down' & JJ is 'moving up' but they're both fighting more at their true weight.

I'd place the match as an even pick 'em. Especially before seeing fight week & weigh ins. I'm all ears though if anyone cares to explain why Val should be the favorite.

JJ's footwork is not as crisp as it needs to be. Or was. JJ is high-output but shit striking defense. Being "chinny" is not her problem, as the posters in the heavies seem to think, she just gets hit a lot, and often by people who are inferior strikers.

She has to move forward to be effective, and she is going to walk into a lot of shit while not being able to land at her usual volume. Neither fighter is a power puncher, but I do not expect JJ to win a round. Maybe the first as Val often starts slow.

I like both fighters but this is a bad match up for JJ. Val should pic her apart all night. And she does not have to worry about being out-muscled by a larger fighter and there is no real threat of a takedown.

Edited to add: this fight will also be a good display of different styles of stand-up. Val uses the more traditional MT style (although her round kick is not executed the same) and JJ uses the Dutch kickboxing style.

Last edited:
Has anyone heard anything about Bethe Correia’s
UFC status because I remember her flunking her
physical prior to UFC 228 in August do to vision
issues.

The only thing Jessica Eye should be a back up for is a booty call

Am I really "hating" on Schevchenko though? Or, am I just pointing out that she is going to face a SW that she has beaten several times before and who has never fought in the UFC at flyweight before...for the title. Am I a "hater" for wanting to watch two higher ranked flyweights fight for the title? Just throwing two recognizable names into the cage doesn't automatically make an interesting/good fight.

Jarl

Just caught on take of the tape that Kristi Lopez is 35. I never would have guessed that.

Am I really "hating" on Schevchenko though? Or, am I just pointing out that she is going to face a SW that she has beaten several times before and who has never fought in the UFC at flyweight before...for the title. Am I a "hater" for wanting to watch two higher ranked flyweights fight for the title? Just throwing two recognizable names into the cage doesn't automatically make an interesting/good fight.

Jarl

Nope, not hating. I think it will be interesting, but that is a purely subjective opinion. I am in the "let Val fight somebody dammit" sort of mood.

I don't know who these Bellator commentators are, but it's hilariously bad. Apparently, standing in a duck footed stance is a "Muay Thai stance" because it lets you swing your leg around for a kick faster. Yes, they just said that about Sarah Click in her fight.
<{CMPALM}>

Jarl

Of course you're not a Shev basher, you've done nothing to deserve that accolade. I guess a case of mistaken identity. I've no idea why folk are so high on Lipski though, sure she's looked good in a minor organization against minor league opponents, lets see how she does against Moroz. I guess a win will land her a spot on a ppv main card, even though the Viana push didn't work out so well. UFC seemihgly desperate for a hot Brazilian.

Harking back 10-12 years to Joanna's matchups with Val are a bit like saying you knew some kid in High School but that was before they went to Harvard (Team Perfect) and MIT. The only relevance from Joanna's point of view is that she knows Val is human and not the unbeatable superhero some believe.

As for Joanna not deserving a title shot, does Shevchenko? Does a single gimme win against a novice merit a title shot? Truth is this is a new division and no-one deserves a title shot based on their UFC record. The 125 roster have hardly dipped their toes in the weight class as yet.

What the division does deserve is a title fight between two names, two of the best to compete in the sport, so that the winner can stand shoulder to shoulder with the other champs and that there is some measure against which future challengers can be tested.

So Zingano/Anderson is supposedly planned as a backup for Cyborg/Nunes. If that's true it'd be what, Zingano's third fight this year? Probably a personal record for her, although she's probably making up for skipping last year.

From what I can find, Uzgenbaeva is 1-1. Possibly debut fight for Sobirova.

Yay!

Anyone else forget this is happening?

From what I can find, Uzgenbaeva is 1-1. Possibly debut fight for Sobirova.

Yay!

Anyone else forget this is happening?

With so much going on Saturday I did forget until i got the weigh-in tweets. Love Celine is a part of this.

Just a reminder - one night tournament. quarterfinal's boxing, semi-finals kickboxing, finals MMA. PPV stream if anyone is interested: http://spartacombatleague.com/ppv-stream/

Back