Official Women's Division Discussion #25

Easy fight for Lipski. Aga has little chance in a 5 round fight, her conditioning is awful and Lipski has ground skills to survive Aga's early takedowns.

200.gif

Being real i think Pena is by far one of the most overrated fighters in WMMA, i don't think she would beat anyone in top 5, it being Reneau, Holm, Vieira, Raquel or Nunes.. Loses to them all, against Vieira she would look reaal tiny and she has holes in her grappling game. Higher ceiling? Not at 135. She's older, just became a mom (affects fighters careers, look to Yana striking at young age, she was much quicker) and is much smaller.
I'm thinking the opposite, Pena is the most underrated fighter in wmma now. She would glue on Reneau, Holm & Rocky to win a decision. Vieira perhaps would win a 3 round fight, in 5 round fight Pena is more likely to win due to better gas tank. She is 5 ft 7 in, not much smaller than Vieira.

She is still only 28, there is plenty of time to make huge improvement. Childbirth doesn't impact every athlete the same way, there are moms winning olympic golds.

Last edited:
Featherweight Title Fight :
Larissa Pacheco (10-2) vs. Karolline Rosa (8-1)

wocs49.jpg

BW looks bad recently because UFC fucked up matchmaking in BW last year. The biggest mistake is GDR vs Holm at 145. This fight cost two top BW contenders while there was no clear contender after Shev.

I think BW is still on par with SW in term of talents. SW has lots of fighters, so matchmaking is easy to build up contenders.

FLW is far behind BW and SW in term of talents. Maia had trouble with Roxy, Kuma became a punching bag after 2 rounds, who knows if KGB can make weight without help from drug.
I don't think so. SW has more high lv talent right now.

FLW has Alexis Davis, Chookagian, Eye, JRC.. I don't think KGB is better than any of them tbh.

I agree BW is probably ahead right now, but it's a matter of time until Maia, Kuma, Lipski, Joanna, KGB and maybe Zhang all comes to UFC and then FLW will be definitely ahead.

I'm thinking the opposite, Pena is the most underrated fighter in wmma now. She would glue on Reneau, Holm & Rocky to win a decision. Vieira perhaps would win a 3 round fight, in 5 round fight Pena is more likely to win due to better gas tank. She is 5 ft 7 in, not much smaller than Vieira.

She is still only 28, there is plenty of time to make huge improvement. Childbirth doesn't impact every athlete the same way, there are moms winning olympic golds.
I don't think she beats Rocky, maybe Reneau, not that sure. Juliana Penna is a midget compared to Vieira, she could make FLW before pregnancy, probably walks around 140-148 lbs, Vieira walks around 160-170 lbs, maybe they have a similar HEIGHT, but size wise? A different division between them, Vieira is probably much stronger and i'd actually make a bet Vieira submits her, i think Vieira is better everywhere except conditioning and i don't think that fight would be 5 rounds, not with Pena coming of a loss. No momentum at all.

I'm not saying she's done because she became a mom, but if you compare her ceiling to Vieira? The 26 years old giant to BW? Lol i think it's not even close, i don't think Pena will ever sniff that belt, i'll be surprised if she ever fights for that, Vieira will be champion one day.

Vieira said she walks around at about 165. Probably the biggest (female) bantamweight on the roster

I think we'll see Peña fight for the belt. I mean looking at the state of this division she could come back, get two wins and be in the mix again. I dunno how she'd fare against Vieira, I personally think she'll struggle with Ketlen's size. A fight I'd like to see when Peña comes back is Holm vs. Peña (The fact that Holm is ranked #1 is complete bullshit. UFC rankings have been a joke forever but seriously, knocking out Bethe Correia of all people while coming off a three fight losing streak gets you the #1 spot in the division? Sure). Here's my personal take on the rankings and what I feel would be ideal matchups for each fighter.

CH: Amanda Nunes (vs. Pennington)
01. Raquel Pennington (vs. Nunes)
02. Ketlen Vieira (vs. de Randamie)
03. Julianna Peña (vs. Holm)
04. Germaine de Randamie (vs. Vieira)
05. Holly Holm (vs. Peña)

I pitched Vieira vs. de Randamie for the sake of the rankings. I'd more prefer a matchup between Vieira and Reneau for the next title shot honestly but if they want to "save" opponents in case Nunes wins against Pennington then I see them going down the Vieira vs. de Randamie root because de Randamie has been undefeated since 2014 (sure, she's only had three fights since then, one per year) and her last loss was to Nunes (meaning they could sell a possible fight between her and Amanda if it was ever to come to together). Plus, they can take their time setting up this fight because Cyborg vs. Nunes meaning de Randamie can heal up for as long as she needs and get back in there in time to fight again.

Also I'm glad Rocky is finally get her title fight. I dunno if it's a smart idea to take it after such a long layoff though but hopefully she returns healthy. I don't think Nunes if gonna flatline her or anything, Rocky is tough. Should be a fun fight.

it's a matter of time until... KGB... comes to UFC

KGB is scheduled for May 19 at UFC Fight Night Santiago.

Only 5 UFC Fight Night Santiago fights total booked at present and 3 of them are between women:
Alexa Grasso vs Tatiana Suarez
Veronica Macedo vs Andrea Lee
Poliana Botelho vs Syuri Kondo

Amazes me that if wasn't by terrible judging in MMA, Marion Reneau would be 7-1 in UFC, with her only loss being against Holly Holm. I had her winning against Correia by 29-27 and by 29-28 against Evans-Smith. She's 40 years old and would have the best UFC record at women's bantamweight outside the champ :eek:

Only 5 UFC Fight Night Santiago fights total booked at present and 3 of them are between women:
Yeah i totally should've gone with "a matter of time until -fighters listed- have their UFC debut" :D

So irritating. So close to having half an Invicta card at the Atlantic City show.

I made a quick ranking that IMO it's much more fair/accurate than UFC's, what y'all think?
(#) = booked against
Pena and Rousey aren't ranked due to being unable to fight
Evinger isn't ranked because she didn't fought at UFC as a bantamweight

a7b5035e0b3975d353c799d019a77f28.png

Watched the Joanna - Rose fight again in anticipation of their rematch. Joanna will have to bring her A game for the win. Even prior to the ko, from pretty much the first second on Rose dominated with her foot work and wasn't really rocked by the few punches that Joanna landed.

I'm favoring Rose because it's such a quick rematch and I pretty much always favor the previous winner unless there's compelling evidence that the rematch will be any different from the first. Especially I don't know if Joanna can improve enough in such a short time. But it can happen and maybe she really did have a horrible weight cut that drained her of energy in their last fight. Joanna was an amazing champ and I'm interested in seeing what she may (or may not) do different in the rematch.

All thoughts / comments welcome.

Fun scrappy atomweight fight at ONE this morning between Indian fighter Puja Tumar and Malaysian Jihin Radzuan.

-------------------------------------
MIO's next shootboxing fight is against one of ROAD's mma fighters. MIO is supposed to eventually fight for RIZIN, and she's RENA's best buddy. Would be a huge win for Seo Hee Lim.

End of last year MIO beat Thailand's most famous female fighter in Phetjee Jaa, and she has a previous win over Mei Yamaguchi. MIO always has hometown/rules advantage, but she's still one of the best 100lbs kickboxers out there. Need more mma fighters with all caps single names.

----------------------------------

Trying to find the MIO/Phetjee fight (I couldn't outside of Shootboxing's pay site), I came across this video of one of MIO's recent opponents, Hong Kong fighter Hoi Yan "Candy" Wu mentioning her plans to take mma fights.

Candy Wu is interesting; Medaled at IFMA a couple of times (she's one of the victims in the "look how gnarly Loma Lookboonmee's clinch game is" videos that got posted here), fought good opposition in Japan/Thailand, and her coach Venus was a great fighter too. I think Wu could become a big deal for Hong Kong mma if she's successful.

Here's an arcticle Sylvie Ittu wrote about one of Wu's fights in Thailand a few years ago, "The coming out party".
http://8limbs.us/female-fighters/fah-yokkao-vs-candy-hoi-yan-wu-rays-muaythai-gym-hong-kong

Highlight of one of Wu's coaches Venus Tsang (who is just 28 herself, would also be a dope mma import)

Last edited:
Cheyenne Vlismas won her pro debut at LFA with a TKO in round 3 Friday night.

During the first round Vlismas has lifted her opponent off the ground is order to get out of an armbar and stomp her in the head slightly. Was wondering if this was legal so I asked Big John...

The Flyweight rankings are sort of screwy with Vanessa Porto listed at both 7 and 8 (with different win-loss numbers in each position) and Shevchenko sharing the 7 spot but not the 8 spot.

It's fixed forgot to delete Porto on the 7th spot

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
plasterby
Back