Official Women's Division Discussion #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Invicta's Featherweight division is down to: Amber Leibrock, Amy Coleman, Charmaine Tweet, Daria Ibragimova, Latoya Walker and Megan Anderson. I don't see Daria getting another fight nor do I see Marina Shafir returning.

Invicta's Featherweight division is down to: Amber Leibrock, Amy Coleman, Charmaine Tweet, Daria Ibragimova, Latoya Walker and Megan Anderson. I don't see Daria getting another fight nor do I see Marina Shafir returning.
145 is pretty much dead in the water. It doesn't help that a thin division is spread across multiple organisations.

Wasting paying attention, and posted this in the wrong thread before.
ROAD FC 040 XX: Ham Seo-Hee in Atomweight title match

View attachment 215589

Xiaomi ROAD FC 040 XX: Ham Seo-Hee returns to Korea for the ROAD FC Women's Atomweight Championship

ROAD Fighting Championship announces that the second all-female MMA card Xiaomi ROAD FC 040 XX will take place on June 11, 2017 in the Grand Hilton Convention Centre in Seoul, South Korea. The Main Event will be the return of Ham Seo-Hee to her home of Korea to fight for the inaugural ROAD FC Women's Atomweight Championship.

Ham Seo-Hee (17-8, Team MAD) is the pioneer for women's MMA in South Korea. She made her professional MMA debut 10 years ago in Deep 28 Impact against Hisae Watanabe, won by decision, and became a new force in women's MMA.

continue reading:
http://roadfc.com/main/news/news_view.php?key=JTI1MjUzRCUyNTI1M0RBTzN

Great to see Ham in her proper weight class again. That 115 stint was.... bizzare.

Can we trade 105 for 145 in the UFC?

R.I.P, Invicta FC 145lb division.

Great to see Ham in her proper weight class again. That 115 stint was.... bizzare.

Can we trade 105 for 145 in the UFC?

I'd give my left nut to see 105 in the UFC, and 145 cast to oblivion.

The History of The Atomweight (105lb's) Division (2001-2017)
April 05, 2017
by FriendlyMMANerd

http://tatsuyafunny.blogspot.com/2017/04/the-history-of-atomweight-105lbs.html

This isn't trying to be a comprehensive history, but has some interesting photos and video links, and has contributions in the following categories:

The Legend Years (Satoko Shinashi, Hisae Watanabe, and Miku Matsumoto)
~
The Mainstream Invicta
~
The Atomweight Division of Today
~
Conclusion

irene aldana getting tortured by her crew

Would 105 in the UFC only be marginally more competitive than 145? I can't imagine it being a HUGE division. There wouldn't be too many knockouts and violence, so casual fans and chumps that already shit all over WMMA would probably complain about it. I think it would still be sparse compared to 115 and the still-non-existent 125.

Would 105 in the UFC only be marginally more competitive than 145? I can't imagine it being a HUGE division. There wouldn't be too many knockouts and violence, so casual fans and chumps that already shit all over WMMA would probably complain about it. I think it would still be sparse compared to 115 and the still-non-existent 125.
I personally don't think AW is all that much better than FW depth wise.

I personally don't think AW is all that much better than FW depth wise.

WHAT?

I don't care what the numbers say, 105 is 10X better than 145. Read the excellent article a few posts back.

We have Hamasaki, Seo Hee Ham, Jinh Yu Frey, Tiburcio already. New blood coming up like Bi Nguyen. 115ers who should really be at 105 are all over the place.

Meanwhile, at 145, we just had two 135ers fight for a belt that was made for a walking pharmaceutical experiment who already killed WMMA once when she beat up Gina Carano whilst juiced to the gills.

Please stop with the nonsense. My eyes function and they see far more competitive and entertaining fights at 105 than 145. Far more.

Fight2Night just announced their second show in BRazil with 2 pretty good straw weight matches:

Virna Jandiroba (10-0) x Ericka Almeida (7-2)
Marina Rodriguez (6-0) x Samara Santos (10-2)

Fights take place on april 28th.

Alesha Zappitella Fights Stephanie Alba at Combate 13

https://wmmanewz.blogspot.com/2017/04/alesha-zapitella-fights-stephanie-alba.html?m=1

Fresh off her victory at Kunlun against Miao Ding which was at Flyweight (125lb's), and as with most of Zapitella's Fights, she showcased her elite wrestling in which she would get her foe to defend off her back, and would submit her foe in Round 2.

Her next fight is against Top 15 Atomweight Stephanie Alba, and this will be her toughest fight to date.

Stephanie Alba is looking to get back in the win column, and what a great way to do so by defeating a very very tough Zappitella. Her last fight was against Paulina Granados in which she lost via Split Decision.

Both have very impressive records with Alesha Zappitella spoting a record of (2-2-1 Amateur) (2-0 Pro), and the more experienced Stephanie Alba has a very impressive record of (6-4 Amateur) (3-1 Pro)

Both LOVE to grapple, so this fight will most likely take place on the ground, but both are dangerous grapplers in that their gameplans for one another might be completely different than I anticipate.

Knowing both are dangerous grapplers and love to assume top control, will they implement a game plan focusing on stand-up?

This is a must see fight as it's on The Combate Banner! What this means is that Combate ALWAYS brings very very entertaining cards, so you KNOW this is not a miss fight! Honestly, Combate put on a FotY Performance in Erick Gonzalez Vs. Danny Ramirez, great great fight.

With a win over a Top 15 Atomweight, this would put Zappitella in there with the best Combate has to offer. A win over Zappitella puts Alba in a spot to either fight Batara or rematch Granados.

A great opportunity for both fighters!

@Drake can you please explain what your fascination is with 145? I want to understand why you would post something so
blasphemous.

There are top shelf 145lbs. prospects (Jamie Herrington, Martina Jindrova) who had been trying to find a fight during all of 2016. In the same time period Combate & KOTC established entire atomweight divisions, not to mention the building momentum of wmma in Asia.

I'm somebody that sticks up for 145, but it hurts my brain to see that division compared to 105. In terms of prospect depth, it's easier to find good atomweight opposition for a regional fighter than it is at bantamweight.

#ShireweightViolence

Last edited:
@Drake can you please explain what your fascination is with 145? I want to understand why you would post something so
blasphemous.
He likes Meegan and Cyborg. But he's right, the difference between 105 and 145 is overstated. Fighters being more "visually appealing" to some people due to being younger, faster and more agile (due to smaller size) doesn't make a division "much" better when they are both similarly shallow in terms of numbers, if 145 is like HW for women then 105 is like men's FLW. Both are very shallow compared to 115-135. There being more fighters who could drop from 115 to 105 than fighters who could drop from 155+ to 145 is a valid point, but still I'm going to have to use my trademark line... eyes are overrated.

Ladies Fight Night 5 is streaming on their website/facebook Saturday at 3pm Eastern US time. Watch some Polish dudes rap before UFC 210.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back