Official Women's Division Discussion #22

Status
Not open for further replies.
Angela Lee beating down Jenny Huang @ ONE FC 53:

I'm starting to notice that Megan rarely wears clothes, lol. Not that that's a bad thing... :p

That's a bit of an overreaction. Seeing Dern in the cage easily trumps any and all "sports" related issues constant missing weight might have. This is afterall only MMA - only GSP and Maia have ever managed to made it look like a real sport instead of sports entertainment :D

No, not really. And it will never improve unless the fighters actually start caring abou the integrity of the sport. Making weight is not that hard, particularly when you are carrying enough body fat that you can make 105 without a water cut. She missed weight simply by not giving a fuck, and that is disrespectful to the sport and your opponent. And she did it twice in a row.

ROAD_FC_037_04.jpg

ROAD FC 037 XX results

#7 Women's Flyweight Match
Raika Emiko def Kang Jin-Hee by Unanimous Decision

#6 Women's -46.5kg Catchweight Match
Lee Ye-Ji def Shinashi Satoko by Unanimous Decision

#5 Women's Atomweight Match
Park Jeong-Eun def Park Na-Young by TKO R2 2:07

#4 Women's Atomweight Match
Lim So-Hee def Hana Date by Unanimous Decision

#3 Women's Strawweight Match
Fujino Emi def Natalya Denisova by Submission, RNC R2 1:25

#2 Women's Strawweight Match
Shim Yu-Ri def Harada Shiho by Unanimous Decision

#1 Women's -50.5kg Catchweight Match
Wang Xiangjie def Hong Yun-Ha by Decision 2:1 Draw

It was a good event overall. Fujino showed she can still be dominant. Ye ji Lee avenged her loss to Shinashi. A 16 yr old put up a good showing for her pro debut on a week's notice. Several fighters made their promotional debut.

Road is building a good thing. I don't see them putting on the XX events as aften as Deep puts on Jewels, but they have a good base to build upon. A historic night for South Korea.

She missed weight simply by not giving a fuck, and that is disrespectful to the sport and your opponent. And she did it twice in a row.

That's a fair stance, and my post was mostly in jest (except that GSP and Maia being the two persons who I by far see as "sport" in the realm of MMA). But as I said before, I just cannot bring mysef to care about it in this particular instance. It was the same with Gina.

If this was, say Esparza or Suarez, I'd be 100% with you. Torches and pitchforks and cheap ale. Then again, those wrestlealot types never miss weight cause that's the main skill they have.

Unless they are Hendricks, that is.

But yeah, I'm okay with having double standards on this issue.

That's a fair stance, and my post was mostly in jest (except that GSP and Maia being the two persons who I by far see as "sport" in the realm of MMA). But as I said before, I just cannot bring mysef to care about it in this particular instance. It was the same with Gina.

If this was, say Esparza or Suarez, I'd be 100% with you. Torches and pitchforks and cheap ale. Then again, those wrestlealot types never miss weight cause that's the main skill they have.

Unless they are Hendricks, that is.

But yeah, I'm okay with having double standards on this issue.

And I am never ok with it.

If Megan is still with Invicta, I'm guessing Shannon & company are searching the globe for somebody with a win streak to challenge her. Nobody on their current roster is facing her next.

If Megan is still with Invicta, I'm guessing Shannon & company are searching the globe for somebody with a win streak to challenge her. Nobody on their current roster is facing her next.

One option (but def not ideal) might be the loser of the Evinger/Kunitskaya fight could move up to 145 and try to rekindle some momentum in the division. To say what has has already been beaten to a pulp, things are more than a bit sparse at 145. Are there just too many smaller orgs with small rosters? Not enough money involved for fighters to go with anything other than the most "convenient" one? Seems like 145 will always be shallow no matter the circumstance.

Road FC XX video. Hopefully the time stamp works

One option (but def not ideal) might be the loser of the Evinger/Kunitskaya fight could move up to 145 and try to rekindle some momentum in the division. To say what has has already been beaten to a pulp, things are more than a bit sparse at 145. Are there just too many smaller orgs with small rosters? Not enough money involved for fighters to go with anything other than the most "convenient" one? Seems like 145 will always be shallow no matter the circumstance.

Your last sentence summed it up. And now, with "talent" spread across even more organizations, there is even less to offer in any particular promotion.

Women's 145 will always be a wasteland for the same reason men's heavyweight gets less new talent compared to the other divisions. Most taller, larger women are in other sports like basketball, volleyball, track & field, etc.

Women's 145 will always be a wasteland for the same reason men's heavyweight gets less new talent compared to the other divisions. Most taller, larger women are in other sports like basketball, volleyball, track & field, etc.

And when you consider the general bell curve of women's weights (along with the general structure that makes for a better fighter) women who are capable of maintaining a decent level of musculature, low body fat with appropriate reach and build are few and far between the further you towards the heavy end of the curve. While there are plenty of taller women, their general bone structure and proportions (lever length, bi-acromial width, q-angle, etc.) lends itself more towards events like basketball and running. Unfortunately, once you get into slightly heavier weights, you need women who are just plain built like men.

Then when you consider the neurological differences that influence fighting, find the appropriate women to fill out heavier weight classes becomes "needle-in-a-haystack" territory.

I've a passing interest in women's rugby and for sure there are plenty of big, tough, athletic girls out there who don't mind taking a knee to the visage. Trouble is very few have combat training. I'm betting that when folk see the money to be made we'll see bigger girls attracted to the heavier divisions. It's early days yet.

Fun Fact: one of the smallest girls in the current New Zealand international squad, Janna Vaughan, actually fought Joanna Jedrzejczyk in MT a few years back.

I've a passing interest in women's rugby and for sure there are plenty of big, tough, athletic girls out there who don't mind taking a knee to the visage. Trouble is very few have combat training. I'm betting that when folk see the money to be made we'll see bigger girls attracted to the heavier divisions. It's early days yet.

Fun Fact: one of the smallest girls in the current New Zealand international squad, Janna Vaughan, actually fought Joanna Jedrzejczyk in MT a few years back.

Well, sports that offer an easier route to money also play a key role. Did not know that about Janna V, but I know shit about Rugby, despite spending a great deal of time overseas when I was younger. Always looked like a cool sport to play.

In other news, this is an interesting possibility:

Well, sports that offer an easier route to money also play a key role. Did not know that about Janna V, but I know shit about Rugby, despite spending a great deal of time overseas when I was younger. Always looked like a cool sport to play.

In other news, this is an interesting possibility:

womens and mens rugby is great to watch, better than soccer.
im enjoying the 6 nations at the moment, ireland play england next week, both unbeaten but i expect england to win it,
some games here if youre interested https://www.youtube.com/user/RBS6Nations
im not sure how many would be interested in an mma career, but they certainly have the athleticism for it

womens and mens rugby is great to watch, better than soccer.
im enjoying the 6 nations at the moment, ireland play england next week, both unbeaten but i expect england to win it,
some games here if youre interested https://www.youtube.com/user/RBS6Nations
im not sure how many would be interested in an mma career, but they certainly have the athleticism for it

I will check it out. I have zero interest in soccer. (FWIW, I do not watch pro football either. I do follow a college team, largely due to my attendance there).

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back