Official Judo Thread VI

Just got my belt through today after like three weeks and I think it's too small. Shit.

Who did you get it from? You should eb able to return it. Mine was too small so I swapped it, wore a shitty karate obi for a couple of weeks until the bigger size came in the mail.

Who did you get it from? You should eb able to return it. Mine was too small so I swapped it, wore a shitty karate obi for a couple of weeks until the bigger size came in the mail.

It was either Seido or the other Kusakura supplier. Yeah I'm wearing one of my coach's at the moment, I was just really looking forward to wearing it ha.

I mean, I can still tie it and it might soften up a little but at the moment it's about this length or maybe even slightly smaller:

Masyu+Beiker+IJF+Judo+Grand+Slam+Tokyo+2013+GGumqFmKn3sl.jpg

I'll have to see what it's like with my gi on.

Our club now has like 15 white belts. It's absurd how many college girls we have there. Anyway, our coach paired up all the noobs with the not-as-nooby guys (which includes me) to work together on newaza, and rotated the pairs.

I now know why it's more preferred for people to not start running their own clubs until sandan. I didn't feel confident with ANYTHING I was showing besides the basic scissor sweep lol.

You make me green with envy.

But, ya, it does feel silly to be trying to teach complete newbs.

You know how something is supposed to go technically. The problem is that you (probably) won't be able to replicate it well. I think it makes me look real silly.

You make me green with envy.

But, ya, it does feel silly to be trying to teach complete newbs.

You know how something is supposed to go technically. The problem is that you (probably) won't be able to replicate it well. I think it makes me look real silly.

Well, I also take it as our sensei prepping the less nooby (like me) in teaching, as eventually we'll rise up the ranks (like to sankyu-ikkyu), and we might have to take over a class or two when one of the dans isn't available.

Gotta start somewhere.

Well, I also take it as our sensei prepping the less nooby (like me) in teaching, as eventually we'll rise up the ranks (like to sankyu-ikkyu), and we might have to take over a class or two when one of the dans isn't available.

Gotta start somewhere.

If I ever have to teach anyone something I will tell them what I do and then end with something like "but I could be doing it wrong". I think I was a white belt at the time in judo and one of the instructors did ask me to show a simple guard pass since I had bjj experience.

Regulation for the belt ends is 20-30 cm, so that looks about right.

I don't even think it was that much. I've ordered another one which is 20cm longer and I'm going to send this one back.

One of the brown belts showed his Uchi mata tonight and I was jealous as hell. He never, ever does it and he's blasting people over like Shohei Ono.

Got a few pointers off him though and he reckons I don't pull enough and jump in with my leg, which is exactly what people on here were saying.

I don't even think it was that much. I've ordered another one which is 20cm longer and I'm going to send this one back.

One of the brown belts showed his Uchi mata tonight and I was jealous as hell. He never, ever does it and he's blasting people over like Shohei Ono.

Got a few pointers off him though and he reckons I don't pull enough and jump in with my leg, which is exactly what people on here were saying.

LOL I was taking pointers on Seoi Nage from a tall skinny guy...I'm short and stumpy lol

and my gi thread failed...I am better off buying 2 more moskito gis.

LOL I was taking pointers on Seoi Nage from a tall skinny guy...I'm short and stumpy lol

and my gi thread failed...I am better off buying 2 more moskito gis.

Have a look at fighting films and adidas. They tend to be European cut and armour like.

I assumed this would be the best spot to ask this question. I just turned 28 and have a years worth of bjj. I had to quit though because I went back to school and the price along with school was making it too much. I am still wanting to do grappling though. I have a judo class within 15 minutes I believe that is done at a YMCA. http://jinjudo.com/ is the website. I assumed someone on here would be able to tell me anything if it seems legit, which it does to me from the site but it also has a facebook page. Seems to be a group of older guys. I am wanting to compete and be able to do both judo and bjj in the future. Also is 28 too old to get started in judo? No I am not trying to become a world champion but I have prior history in boxing and kickboxing and I would still like to compete.

One thing that's awesome about judo: national registries. In the US, there's three organizations that oversee judoka, USA Judo (aka USJI), USJF, and USJA. From that site you linked, it seems that it's a USA Judo club, as it's one of the top links in that sidebar. I used that to find this:

http://www.teamusa.org/USA-Judo/Coaches/Coaching-Certification-List/2014

There's a Steven B. Hamilton who received his coaches certification in 2014, though I don't know if that's the same guy.

Also, I dabbled a bit in judo many years back, but I didn't really start it until a few years ago, when I was 26. You're still in the prime of your life.

28 is fine to start in judo. You're not going to set the world on fire in competition but it definitely can be done. Around here several tournaments have adult beginner categories for orange and under (or is it green?). There's also the opportunity for masters divisions once you're over 30.

In my experience the older guys tend to be just as good as the younger ones. At my home club most of the guys are over thirty and they give me more of a hard time than most black belts my age at the other clubs I train at, despite being brown belts.

The only reason most of them are brown are due to nagging injuries or family commitments.

I got a question

Ok I don't do a lot of tachi waza due to injuries. I focus on Bjj and newaza. I'm lucky that my judo runs a newaza class once a week that I always goto. so he says to me that I should grade up and fight for my black belt using my newaza. Now I know that refs have started to allow more time for newaza lately so I recon it could work as can probably tap your average brown belt pretty quickly if I'm in a good position to do so. So should I go for it or should I respect the fact that judo is primarily a standup art and forget about it. I'm not that bothered either way as I'm unlucky with belts and gradings generally

Thank you guys for the responses. I am going to try to go watch a class or 2 soon and hopefully be able to start.

I got a question

Ok I don't do a lot of tachi waza due to injuries. I focus on Bjj and newaza. I'm lucky that my judo runs a newaza class once a week that I always goto. so he says to me that I should grade up and fight for my black belt using my newaza. Now I know that refs have started to allow more time for newaza lately so I recon it could work as can probably tap your average brown belt pretty quickly if I'm in a good position to do so. So should I go for it or should I respect the fact that judo is primarily a standup art and forget about it. I'm not that bothered either way as I'm unlucky with belts and gradings generally

When I did my lineup there was a BJJ guy who stiff armed everyone and waited till they committed to a throw before taking their backs. He got his black belt but I knew he was a BJJ guy as I'd fought him before and I wrecked him standing.

But if he was to go to a club and just do tachiwaza he would probably lose to most black and browns I know.

I guess it depends if you just want your black belt or if you want to be good at all aspects of Judo.

I got mine recently and I still feel like a noob, I think it would be even worse if I wasn't confident standing but at the end of the day it's up to you.

wtf is the point of getting a judo black belt if you can't do tachiwaza ... that's no better than just buying the belt and waiting for it to arrive in the mail while you relax drinking beers.

Plus it's not so easy to try to win with pure newaza nowadays, at least in our area they will start calling penalties right away if you aren't aggressively attacking in shiai. They won't let you just stand around and look for the counter anymore. And good luck countering off being thrown ... very low percentage.

Also don't they require you to perform nage no kata to get promoted anyways?

I wouldn't give a black belt to someone who couldn't throw, no matter how good their ne waza was. No offense, but if that were the case then every BJJ black belt should automatically get a black belt in Judo because most of them could probably win or at least medal in a few local black belt divisions just by dragging people to the ground and submitting them. I have no problem with specializing in groundwork, but you need to have a few throws and be able to throw other black belts with them to be a legit Judo BB IMO.

Tend to agree unless its about competition.

I could see getting annoyed being stuck with a lower/white belts in a small bracket when you have significant grappling experience.

Honestly that's the main point in belts anyways (I guess teaching too so ok)

Back