Official Judo Thread VI

Usually "old rules" is "announced" in randori by a surprise sucessful leg grabbing attack between two partners who get it. Laughs are exchanged and real Judo is enjoyed.

I love the 'ambush' leg grab. I do this to one of my coaches who plays a very tall man game and has great grips.

Sigh...now I have to get my kicks from BJJ...but they always want to sit down...

Coach teaching kouchi-makikomi with pants grab saying "I don't care what the IJF says this is judo that works"...priceless

Best hope it's an ippon and your opponent sucks at ne-waza or you're getting strangled. I've always thought of Ko Uchi Makikomi as a flying back-give. :icon_lol:

Is it just me, or do drop seoi nages only work if tori immediately springs back up like a frog? It looks as if they're performing the deepest squat ever.

I noticed after the umpteenth failed drop on me, if they just stay down, the chance for me going over is small. If they spring back up, like I've seen in various GP's and GS', tori can score ippon fairly easily.

If they don't spring up it's an otoshi, not nage.

That being said, I subscribe to the spring up and drive that sucka to the ground. I find that too many people give up on their seoi attacks too early because they don't really go for the spring and drive hard enough.

Best hope it's an ippon and your opponent sucks at ne-waza or you're getting strangled. I've always thought of Ko Uchi Makikomi as a flying back-give. :icon_lol:

Coach is a BJJ brown belt, he a had few pointers.

I've been trying the squat one lately, it's pretty nice and you don't risk your knees. Works better with a morote grip I think.

With the drop one I drive with my feet and do a sort of ukemi to roll them through.

Is it just me, or do drop seoi nages only work if tori immediately springs back up like a frog? It looks as if they're performing the deepest squat ever.

I noticed after the umpteenth failed drop on me, if they just stay down, the chance for me going over is small. If they spring back up, like I've seen in various GP's and GS', tori can score ippon fairly easily.

Seoi otoshi relies on dropping your body weight to throw uke. It requires close contact and control not unlike standing seoi.

Drop seoi on the other hand tries to bypass this requirement by spring up between uke's legs. It's basically easier to enter and spam, but harder to throw uke forcefully.

If they don't spring up it's an otoshi, not nage.

That being said, I subscribe to the spring up and drive that sucka to the ground. I find that too many people give up on their seoi attacks too early because they don't really go for the spring and drive hard enough.

Are you a drop guy?

I've been trying the squat one lately, it's pretty nice and you don't risk your knees. Works better with a morote grip I think.

With the drop one I drive with my feet and do a sort of ukemi to roll them through.

I'm gonna try the squat myself. The biggest criticism from my sensei about my seoi nage is that I'm not bending my legs enough.

Seoi otoshi relies on dropping your body weight to throw uke. It requires close contact and control not unlike standing seoi.

Drop seoi on the other hand tries to bypass this requirement by spring up between uke's legs. It's basically easier to enter and spam, but harder to throw uke forcefully.

Is it harder to throw forcefully?

Interesting. Looks like I won't be picking up this throw at all then. If I'm throwing someone, I want them to go down, and go down HARD. Where's the fun if they're not groaning?

Are you a drop guy?

I drop like it's hot. I do drop seoi, drop tai, drop kata reasonably regularly.

I especially love drop morote/eri, as you can get really good driving control even if your entry is less than perfect, and it is equally applicable in BJJ as Judo.

Dropping for a throw is a very powerful tool that shouldn't be disregarded just because some fall for the temptation to become spam-turtles.

@Uchi Mata - did you attend the Travis Stevens seminar?

Our club now has like 15 white belts. It's absurd how many college girls we have there. Anyway, our coach paired up all the noobs with the not-as-nooby guys (which includes me) to work together on newaza, and rotated the pairs.

I now know why it's more preferred for people to not start running their own clubs until sandan. I didn't feel confident with ANYTHING I was showing besides the basic scissor sweep lol.

Dammit, why can't my clubs be full of college girls?

@Uchi Mata - did you attend the Travis Stevens seminar?

I couldn't, it was too late in the day and I had to go out of town. It didn't start until 1:00, if it had been at 9 or 10 I would have gone in a second. I regretted missing it.

I now know why it's more preferred for people to not start running their own clubs until sandan. I didn't feel confident with ANYTHING I was showing besides the basic scissor sweep lol.

As "that former wrestler guy", I was always teaching pins and turnovers to the WBs....and Osoto of course, but that was a catch 22, because when Coach wanted to go over Osoto I'd wind up his uke....

Coach: "...and then you throw him..." :::smack:: "any questions"
Teammate: "Coach can I see that finish again..."
Coach: "Sure...Tom get back over here....so as you're reaping the leg..."

Dammit, why can't my clubs be full of college girls?
Needs more freedom.

As "that former wrestler guy", I was always teaching pins and turnovers to the WBs....and Osoto of course, but that was a catch 22, because when Coach wanted to go over Osoto I'd wind up his uke....

Coach: "...and then you throw him..." :::smack:: "any questions"
Teammate: "Coach can I see that finish again..."
Coach: "Sure...Tom get back over here....so as you're reaping the leg..."

I'm walking scar tissue (multiple healing injuries), so he shows mercy with tachiwaza, but I think I'm his favorite uke for chokes lol.

Coach: So you reach underneath his collar, grip the other side with your other hand, then pull down to complete the choke.... *chokes me* ...like so.
Me: *coughing*
Noob: So... wait.... you grab where?
Coach: One more time...

What sayeth the hive:

I am in search of a BJJ gi that is tough like my Dax Moskito, or close to it. I love my Dax gi but I only have two and they are hard to come by, even though I know they would survive a nuclear explosion.

I'm looking for a sand paper kevlar feeling BJJ gi. That or I'll buy 2 more Moskitos for my end of the world outfit.

You might as well just get a European-cut double weave judogi. I know Einarr's a big fan of the Essimo Ippon.

Conversely, just get a couple more Moskitos. Throw your BJJ club's patch on so you can tell the difference.

https://kodokangear.com/shop/home.php?cat=22

edit: I tried to do home uchikomi today after a sizable breakfast. Big mistake.

I think I was on my 6th spinning tai o before I juuuust barely managed to keep my food down.

Last edited:
Just got my belt through today after like three weeks and I think it's too small. Shit.

Back